Solved

Help In Choosing Between 7 Graphics Cards

I am returning my computer to be replaced because of an Intel defect. The return will cost me nothing, but I have been told I could upgrade and pay ONLY the additional cost for the upgrade (i.e., if I kept everything the same as my orignal order, I would pay nothing at all).

I received the computer February 1. It's pretty much the latest.

Here is my current system:
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-570t PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 quad-core processor with Turbo-Boost [up to 3.8GHz, 8MB cache]
• 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
• 1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
1GB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
• No speakers
• LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
• Wireless-N LAN card
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, audio
• No TV Tuner
• Beats Audio -- integrated studio quality sound
• HP USB keyboard and optical mouse
• 300 Watt power source

I was not planning to play video games when I bought this computer, but have decided I would like to do some gaming. I have no idea what games yet (I have a very informative thread and am getting a lot of help from gamers on the video games thread). That said, my only "need" is for photo editing and video editing. I have Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 9.

Basically, I COULD simply wait and upgrade my system later on. But I would be replacing components I already have and which will presumably work for some time. By upgrading now, I would be only be paying for the additional cost of components.

I don't feel I need "the best," but am really more looking for the best bang for the buck, the best value for someone who wants quality if it comes at a great price.

Here are the only upgrade options available, and how much each would cost in US dollars:

The 1GB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 5570 would cost $10.

The 2GB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 5570 would cost $40.

The 2GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 would cost $50.

The 2GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 6570 would cost $70.

The 1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 would cost $70.

The 3GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 would cost $120 and would also include a 350W PSU (vs the standard 300W PSU).

The 300W PSU may not seem like much, but this computer, being new, has a lot of power saving stuff. That said, I DO want to ultimately increase the PSU (unless I do it now with the 3GB GeForce GT 440.

I would be very interested in what people recommend.
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help choosing graphics cards
  1. Best answer
    1gb 5570 DDR3

Its as fast as any of the card listed on the list. Going above 1GB with those cards is beyond useless. The card will run out of steam way before the frame buffer does.

But going from a 5450 to a 5570 is a huge upgrade, definitely worth $10!!
  2. vilenjan said:
    1gb 5570 DDR3

Its as fast as any of the card listed on the list. Going above 1GB with those cards is beyond useless. The card will run out of steam way before the frame buffer does.

But going from a 5450 to a 5570 is a huge upgrade, definitely worth $10!!

HP told me they would give me a $20 discount if I did an upgrade. I can't imagine it would apply to the 1GB 5570, but would probably apply to the 2GB (at $40). Does that sweeten anything toward a "better" (or at least more expensive) card?

I had heard the 5570 was a good card, and am very glad you offered your take.
  3. 1)what's the resolution are you going to be gaming at? 2)you should definitely upgrade your PSU to 600W or more 80+ (good brands such as Corsair, Thermaltake, Antec etc...) for the video card (GPU) we have to know your resolution before offering you a GPU!
  4. All of the above are low end cards. Ask them if it would be ok to install a better card and PSU and that you can send them to their service for that. I don't think they will allow that.
  5. dwarf10 said:
    1)what's the resolution are you going to be gaming at? 2)you should definitely upgrade your PSU to 600W or more 80+ (good brands such as Corsair, Thermaltake, Antec etc...) for the video card (GPU) we have to know your resolution before offering you a GPU!

My monitor is 1920 X 1080.

But I have no idea if I would game at a different resolution.
  6. ionut19 said:
    All of the above are low end cards. Ask them if it would be ok to install a better card and PSU and that you can send them to their service for that. I don't think they will allow that.

I won't try to argue whether the cards are "low end" or not. One of them will have to work.

Like I said, I'm not out to have the very best. Just the best I can get at the best price/value. These are the cards that HP is offering. I want to choose from this list of cards.
  7. michaeldf said:
    My monitor is 1920 X 1080.

But I have no idea if I would game at a different resolution.

the cards you showed above are low-end cards which means you will not get a decent fps in games at that resolution which is 1080P, sure you can lower the resolution in games, but you wouldn't be happy with the graphics.. So, I highly recommend spending around 230 $ for GTX 560Ti twin frozr2 which is the best high-end valuable card out there for high resolution monitors. it is also the lowest price/fps card which is best bang for a buck!
  8. if you can't get a high-end card, and you need to pick one from the list, I would pick The 1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 would cost $70.
  9. Thanks, Dwarf.

I'm not going to be a hard-core gamer, so I wouldn't want to spend a lot of extra money on a GPU at this time.

I appreciate your opinion on the GT 440.
  10. +1 for the 5570. I can't believe they actually make a 3 GB GT 440...what a horrible, pointless waste of RAM. The card would NEVER utilize it!
  11. If that's your only option 5570 or gt440 will do, i do not know witch is faster. Don't buy the 3gb model.

It's just sad that you have the fastest desktop CPU on the planet with one of those cards.

I would still try to talk to them in you can buy and install another card inside plus PSU. From gts450 up will be an improvement. I have a 5770 and play at 1920x1080 and i am not satisfied all the time but the card is good. The gts450 is 110$ and in some places it is cheaper. With it a 400-450w psu should be ~50$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139017&cm_re=corsair_psu-_-17-139-017-_-Product .

Sorry if i constantly recommend something better. :)
  12. Well, I'm running a new angle now.

I just checked last night, after I started this thread with you guys, and I can get 2 TB (500GB more) HD, 9 GB RAM (1 GB more), the 5570 video card, and some other features for onlyu $30 more than I paid originally.

The problem with buying "more" GPU is that HP isn't offering a bigger PSU as an option - UNLESS you get that 3GB Nvidia card (and then it's only 350W).

It would seem the better part of valor to go ahead and get the system as I describe in the first para above, and then do a PSU/GPU upgrade later on when I can get what I want and when it makes sense.

I'll post back when I've done what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for your help. You guys are good.
  13. Well, I did it.

I was able to purchase a new machine for only a few bucks more that had 2TB HD, 9GB RAM, and I splurged and got the 2GB 5570. Which is to say I got 500GB of HD, an extra gig of RAM, and the better vid card for $50 more than I paid the first time. And got three years of Norton thrown in.

And I can keep my "old" new computer until I get the "new" new computer, the total price of which will be refunded to me.

This is a customizable HP computer, but it is only SO customizable. They give you a choice of several options for you to configure, but the "BADASS" vid cards are not among the options.

I'll stick with what I've got for the next couple years, and when the warranty runs out, I'll consider upgrading to a bigger PSU and a better video card. By then the cards should be better, anyway.

I know you hard-core gamers need to build your own systems, but I am very pleased with this HP unit and with the service/support I've been given.

Thank you VERY much for your advice, guys. Your all princes of the realm (even if you AREN'T having a multi-million dollar wedding coming up).
  14. Quote:
    1GB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 5570??? wheres the gddr5 one?

Got lost in the earthquake's.

michaeldf said:
    Well, I did it.

I was able to purchase a new machine for only a few bucks more that had 2TB HD, 9GB RAM, and I splurged and got the 2GB 5570. Which is to say I got 500GB of HD, an extra gig of RAM, and the better vid card for $50 more than I paid the first time. And got three years of Norton thrown in.

And I can keep my "old" new computer until I get the "new" new computer, the total price of which will be refunded to me.

This is a customizable HP computer, but it is only SO customizable. They give you a choice of several options for you to configure, but the "BADASS" vid cards are not among the options.

I'll stick with what I've got for the next couple years, and when the warranty runs out, I'll consider upgrading to a bigger PSU and a better video card. By then the cards should be better, anyway.

I know you hard-core gamers need to build your own systems, but I am very pleased with this HP unit and with the service/support I've been given.

Thank you VERY much for your advice, guys. Your all princes of the realm (even if you AREN'T having a multi-million dollar wedding coming up).

Well i hope that works for you. It's not hard core gaming just general/occasional gaming. If the case is not sealed you can upgrade the PC by yourself with out them knowing. Good luck
  15. ionut19,

Thanks. I should be all right, given that I intend to be a general/occasional gamer.

I do not believe the case is sealed in any way. But the way warranties work, if you have a problem and some tech is fixing it or you send it in, and they find "unauthorized components" ....

My warranty is for two years. And then I could beef up as needed.

I'm also hoping that in that time, the price of GPUs that are far better than my 5570 will come down, and the power requirements will likewise come down.
  16. michaeldf said:
    Thanks, Dwarf.

I'm not going to be a hard-core gamer, so I wouldn't want to spend a lot of extra money on a GPU at this time.

I appreciate your opinion on the GT 440.

You're very welcome!
  17. Best answer selected by michaeldf.
  18. I'm supposed to select a "best answer," and did so. It's not easy to do that when multiple people are helpful.

That said, my two runner-ups are dwarf10's answer http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/313899-33-help-choosing-graphics-cards#t2346648
    and rmmil978's answer http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/313899-33-help-choosing-graphics-cards#t2346663

I will probably end up (in two plus years after the warranty expire) upgrade both the PSU and the graphics card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product