beat it

hey all

first timer here. just beat the game tonight. what a great game - i have
never really been into these types of hardcore rpg games, but i randomly ran
across this one and check it out and yeah... sweet

my party was me (ranger), minsc, keldorn, jaheira, aerie, and nalia. i
thought it a good combo. i don't know about anyone else, but irenicus at
the end was fairly easy. my favorite battle by far was the rogue stone
battle with shandalar. that was intense, and i definitely had to try it out
many times before beating it w/o anyone dying. one has to employ various
strategies to beat the assorted enemies there. for irenicus, his demons
were wimps, and he wasn't all that great either, once you started focusing
on him...

anyways, eventually i will be looking for another good rpg to prevent me
from doing things more productive - any recommendations? i'm interested in
looking at KOTOR, as well as morrowind or neverwinter nights... thoughts?
cool, thanks.

vee

homerj

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:03:12 -0700, "Vishal Verma"
<vee-verma@stanford.edu> wrote:

>hey all
>
>first timer here. just beat the game tonight. what a great game - i have
>never really been into these types of hardcore rpg games, but i randomly ran
>across this one and check it out and yeah... sweet
>
>my party was me (ranger), minsc, keldorn, jaheira, aerie, and nalia. i
>thought it a good combo. i don't know about anyone else, but irenicus at
>the end was fairly easy. my favorite battle by far was the rogue stone
>battle with shandalar. that was intense, and i definitely had to try it out
>many times before beating it w/o anyone dying. one has to employ various
>strategies to beat the assorted enemies there. for irenicus, his demons
>were wimps, and he wasn't all that great either, once you started focusing
>on him...
>
>anyways, eventually i will be looking for another good rpg to prevent me
>from doing things more productive - any recommendations? i'm interested in
>looking at KOTOR, as well as morrowind or neverwinter nights... thoughts?
>cool, thanks.
>
>vee

Good going, well done :)

You might want to try baldurs gate 1 (if you can't handle the
interface there is a couple of mods that use the BG2 interface).

There is also the icewind dale series, although they tend to be a bit
heavy on fighting and while you can have 6 characters in the group,
they are all player generated so there is no side quests or banter
from them.

Conversely, if you can find it, Planescape: Torment is all about story
and you can get very much immersed iin it (if you like that sort of
thing).

Those should keep you going for a while methinks...

HTH

HJ

Vishal Verma schrieb:
> hey all
>
> first timer here. just beat the game tonight. what a great game - i have
> never really been into these types of hardcore rpg games, but i randomly ran
> across this one and check it out and yeah... sweet
>
> my party was me (ranger), minsc, keldorn, jaheira, aerie, and nalia. i
> thought it a good combo. i don't know about anyone else, but irenicus at
> the end was fairly easy. my favorite battle by far was the rogue stone
> battle with shandalar. that was intense, and i definitely had to try it out
> many times before beating it w/o anyone dying. one has to employ various
> strategies to beat the assorted enemies there. for irenicus, his demons
> were wimps, and he wasn't all that great either, once you started focusing
> on him...
>
> anyways, eventually i will be looking for another good rpg to prevent me
> from doing things more productive - any recommendations? i'm interested in
> looking at KOTOR, as well as morrowind or neverwinter nights... thoughts?
> cool, thanks.
>
> vee

Try the ToB expansion. More linear but still nice to play. Then replay
with a different party (maybe with less NPCs), try another class and/or
alignment. And don't forget to use some of the mods that are discussed
here in depth.
No need to switch to another game yet.
Martin

"Vishal Verma" <vee-verma@stanford.edu> wrote in message
> my party was me (ranger), minsc, keldorn, jaheira, aerie, and nalia. i
> thought it a good combo. i don't know about anyone else, but irenicus at
> the end was fairly easy. my favorite battle by far was the rogue stone
> battle with shandalar. that was intense, and i definitely had to try it
out
> many times before beating it w/o anyone dying. one has to employ various
> strategies to beat the assorted enemies there. for irenicus, his demons
> were wimps, and he wasn't all that great either, once you started focusing
> on him...

ok, you're looking for non-wimpy opponents and a final battle that isn't
easily beaten... k, take a look at a crazy 'lil mod called Tactics.

I also second the Fallout suggestion. I consider vanilla BG2 however
to be more difficult than either of the Fallouts. So, maybe this isn't what
you're looking for.

The Throne of Bhaal suggestion is a good one - download the Ascension
mod if you get Throne of Bhaal.

Torment is good too but it sounds as if you're interested in the combat
and Torment is by far the easiest of the games mentioned so far.

> anyways, eventually i will be looking for another good rpg to prevent me
> from doing things more productive - any recommendations? i'm interested
in
> looking at KOTOR, as well as morrowind or neverwinter nights... thoughts?
> cool, thanks.

Of these, I've played only Morrowind, and sticking just with the combat
theme - I suggest not getting it because it is perhaps as easily beaten as
Torment is (though the combat is not quite as boring as Torment's.)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:16:52 GMT, "kevin" <completely@invalid.com>
wrote:

>download the Ascension
>mod if you get Throne of Bhaal.

What is this, and where can I find it?

Thanks

"Kev the rev" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:16:52 GMT, "kevin" <completely@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>
> >download the Ascension
> >mod if you get Throne of Bhaal.
>
> What is this, and where can I find it?

You need the add-on to BG2, which is titled Throne of
Bhaal, to play Ascension. Ascension toughens selected fights
and also adds new roleplaying possibilities.

If you just have Shadows of Amn take a look at Tactics - as it
*will* give you a challenge, I guarantee it.

You can find both at weidu.org.

You may also want to take a look at a larger listing of mods located
at pocketplane.net.

I quite enjoyed KOTOR, even though it is more like an adventure game with
RPG elements than an actual CRPG. Fallout is definitely worth a look. The
graphics look a wee bit dated but, other than that, it is very good. Also,
like others have suggested, try PS:T if you can find it.

Cheers,
Syn

"Vishal Verma" <vee-verma@stanford.edu> wrote in message
> hey all
>
> first timer here. just beat the game tonight. what a great game - i have
> never really been into these types of hardcore rpg games, but i randomly
ran
> across this one and check it out and yeah... sweet
>
> my party was me (ranger), minsc, keldorn, jaheira, aerie, and nalia. i
> thought it a good combo. i don't know about anyone else, but irenicus at
> the end was fairly easy. my favorite battle by far was the rogue stone
> battle with shandalar. that was intense, and i definitely had to try it
out
> many times before beating it w/o anyone dying. one has to employ various
> strategies to beat the assorted enemies there. for irenicus, his demons
> were wimps, and he wasn't all that great either, once you started focusing
> on him...
>
> anyways, eventually i will be looking for another good rpg to prevent me
> from doing things more productive - any recommendations? i'm interested
in
> looking at KOTOR, as well as morrowind or neverwinter nights... thoughts?
> cool, thanks.
>
> vee

"Vishal Verma" <vee-verma@stanford.edu> wrote in message
> hey all
>
> first timer here. just beat the game tonight. what a great game - i have
> never really been into these types of hardcore rpg games, but i randomly
ran
> across this one and check it out and yeah... sweet
>
> my party was me (ranger), minsc, keldorn, jaheira, aerie, and nalia. i
> thought it a good combo. i don't know about anyone else, but irenicus at
> the end was fairly easy. my favorite battle by far was the rogue stone
> battle with shandalar. that was intense, and i definitely had to try it
out
> many times before beating it w/o anyone dying. one has to employ various
> strategies to beat the assorted enemies there. for irenicus, his demons
> were wimps, and he wasn't all that great either, once you started focusing
> on him...
>
> anyways, eventually i will be looking for another good rpg to prevent me
> from doing things more productive - any recommendations? i'm interested
in
> looking at KOTOR, as well as morrowind or neverwinter nights... thoughts?
> cool, thanks.

KOTOR is a cool game, though not quite what I was looking for. It has more
of a Legend of Zelda feel to it than a Final Fantasy feel.

Morrowind is an awesome game, but it wasn't quite fulfilling. If you play
Morrowind, expect the game to be harder than heck for the first few days.
Then, all of a sudden (and I mean all of a sudden), you will realize that
there isn't any challenge left. There is no linear quality to
Morrowind....you can do whatever the heck you want....and even though I
still get great enjoyment out of playing through about the first quarter of
the game, the last three quarters leave a lot to be desired as far as
challenge goes. Even though I've started about thirty new Morrowind games,
I have yet to beat it.