Sanity check a new gaming build

ELShockley

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hey all. Been using Tom's Hardware for advise for years over my last two builds. Currently I'm running an AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE + ATI 5850 with 6 gig of RAM. I built it two years ago and it is starting to show its age so I'm ready to build my next rig. The computer will mainly be used for gaming - I want to be able to run upcoming games like Skyrim and BF3 maxed out with ease. It will also be the first rig I start to OC with. So after some looking I think this is what I want to build:

Case: Cooler Master HAF X
MoBo: ASRock P67 Extreme4
CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: EVGA GTX570
PSU: Corsair HX850 Modular PSU
RAM: G.Skill Sniper low voltage series DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 8GB (2x4Gb)

I've read that the i5 is a better deal for gaming than the i7. Not quite sold on the GPU....might still get the ASUS or MSI 570, but what ever I get I want to SLI them in a couple of months. About the time I get the second GPU I want to go ahead and double my RAM as well.

So what do you guys think? Will it be a solid gaming rig that should last for a good couple years and should be easy to upgrade parts? Strong enough to smoke Skyrim with ease?

Thanks!

striker410

Distinguished
Well, that's a cool build. However, I think you should just expand upon your current build. 5850's can be had for $200, and with a little OC that 955 can be kickin again. 2 5850's bring you to GTX 580 levels, which is the card they used to run the BF3 demo's. My thoughts are go 5850 and OC. We'll see what the others say.

ELShockley

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Well this build kind of started like a snowball rolling down hill. I think my current GPU is starting to go up: games like Dragon Age 2 are stuttering/freezing/crashing and I had some screen tearing a few days ago. The problems with the GPU started maybe 4 months ago and have been slowly getting worse. So I wanted a new GPU, but it was too big for my case. So then I was looking at getting a new case and thought I might as well go ahead and build a whole new rig.

Also, frequently when I put my PC to sleep, when I try to wake it back up, the fans spin up to high RPM but nothing happens and I'm forced to reset it several times before it will load properly. Not sure if that is a CPU or PSU problem.

Either way I feel like it may be in its death throws...if it can't rock DA2 now, I doubt it will rock Skyrim, and I've been waiting for this game since I first played Oblivion 5 years ago.

ELShockley

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Will 2x6850s max Dragon Age 2? Also I'm looking for some longevity with this build...my current one is just about 2 years old, and I'm not sure I want to be updating individual parts when there are already several things wrong with the system. I'd rather build a new, versitile system now than do a patch job on a PC that could go tits up in a couple of months.