Sign in with
Your question

EP43-UD3L max installable memory?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 8, 2012 1:05:46 PM

Hello,

I've recently upgraded my 3 years old PC from XP 32 bit to Win7 64 bit.

Processor: Quad Core Q8400 2.66Ghz
Memory: 4gb (2x2gb) PC-6400 DDR2

After the installation, I'm thinking to upgrade my memory to either 8GB or 16GB.

So I check my system with SiSoftware Sandra, and on the Logical/Chipset Memory Banks it says that the Maximum Installable Memory is 8GB.
Whereas when I check on the Gigabyte website, my motherboard actually support maximum 16GB.

So which one is the correct information? Would I be able to upgrade my memory to 16GB? Or due to some limitation my mobo can only take max 8GB?

Thanks in advance.
a c 249 } Memory
a c 1153 V Motherboard
June 8, 2012 3:02:47 PM

Gigabyte would be correct I guess, SS might be basing it of the modules you have. For gaming and all normal use 8GB would be plenty and DDR2 is not cheap these days.
m
l
June 8, 2012 3:56:18 PM

Thanks for the answer.

I really want to upgrade my memory to 16GB because I'm going to use my PC extensively for Photoshop & Lightroom.

I just emailed Gigabyte for confirmation. Could it be that SiSoftware actually give the wrong info about my PC?

What happened if I install 16GB of memory to a mobo that only support 8GB?
Will it only detect 8GB & ignore the rest?
m
l
Related resources
a c 249 } Memory
a c 1153 V Motherboard
June 8, 2012 3:59:25 PM

virsago_mk2 said:
Thanks for the answer.

I really want to upgrade my memory to 16GB because I'm going to use my PC extensively for Photoshop & Lightroom.

I just emailed Gigabyte for confirmation. Could it be that SiSoftware actually give the wrong info about my PC?

What happened if I install 16GB of memory to a mobo that only support 8GB?
Will it only detect 8GB & ignore the rest?

SS is third party and read something wrong.
What happens could be from not booting to it just ignoring it.
m
l
June 9, 2012 12:59:09 PM

Thanks for the reply again rolli59.

But I'm still curious, has anyone in this forum successfully installed 16GB DDR2 onto the EP43-UD3L mobo without any errors/ problems?
m
l
!