EP43-UD3L max installable memory?

Hello,

I've recently upgraded my 3 years old PC from XP 32 bit to Win7 64 bit.

Processor: Quad Core Q8400 2.66Ghz
Memory: 4gb (2x2gb) PC-6400 DDR2

After the installation, I'm thinking to upgrade my memory to either 8GB or 16GB.

So I check my system with SiSoftware Sandra, and on the Logical/Chipset Memory Banks it says that the Maximum Installable Memory is 8GB.
Whereas when I check on the Gigabyte website, my motherboard actually support maximum 16GB.

So which one is the correct information? Would I be able to upgrade my memory to 16GB? Or due to some limitation my mobo can only take max 8GB?

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about ep43 ud3l installable memory
  1. Gigabyte would be correct I guess, SS might be basing it of the modules you have. For gaming and all normal use 8GB would be plenty and DDR2 is not cheap these days.
  2. Thanks for the answer.

I really want to upgrade my memory to 16GB because I'm going to use my PC extensively for Photoshop & Lightroom.

I just emailed Gigabyte for confirmation. Could it be that SiSoftware actually give the wrong info about my PC?

What happened if I install 16GB of memory to a mobo that only support 8GB?
    Will it only detect 8GB & ignore the rest?
  3. virsago_mk2 said:
    Thanks for the answer.

I really want to upgrade my memory to 16GB because I'm going to use my PC extensively for Photoshop & Lightroom.

I just emailed Gigabyte for confirmation. Could it be that SiSoftware actually give the wrong info about my PC?

What happened if I install 16GB of memory to a mobo that only support 8GB?
    Will it only detect 8GB & ignore the rest?

SS is third party and read something wrong.
    What happens could be from not booting to it just ignoring it.
  4. Thanks for the reply again rolli59.

But I'm still curious, has anyone in this forum successfully installed 16GB DDR2 onto the EP43-UD3L mobo without any errors/ problems?
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte Memory Motherboards