Sign in with
Your question

Choosing between three Z77 Motherboards

Last response: in Motherboards
June 8, 2012 1:10:38 PM

I was sure about getting the Asus P8Z77-V Pro, since it has all I need and more, and it comes with Fan Xpert 2 which I've read several good reviews about. I want to be able to control all my case fans and CPU fans, so that my system would be quiet (inaudible) when idle. My CPU heatsink will be a NH-D14.

After reading some more, I found that Fan Xpert 2 has some issues which might make using it more troublesome than useful. I'll be using only one GPU (no plans to add another). I won't be doing any extreme overclocking.

These are the motherboards I'm considering:
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H

I can't seem to find conclusive information about these three. I'd like to hear what people who have experience with these motherboards think about them.

- Is Fan Xpert 2 good enough for my purposes?
- Does the Asus P8Z77-V Pro offer a way to control CPU fans without much hassle?
- Would it be more cost-benefit efficient to get the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H and a fan controller?

The Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H seems to be a cheaper, good alternative to the Asus P8Z77-V Pro, but I don't know if it preforms quite as well.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
a c 1163 V Motherboard
a c 307 Ĉ ASUS
June 8, 2012 2:53:05 PM

I do not think that you will notice any performance difference between the boards, If you have somewhere else to spend the money (like better GPU or SSD) get the UD3, if not I would go with the Asus board.
m
l
June 8, 2012 3:15:49 PM

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro is an amazing board. Fan Xpert works fine for me, it's extremely easy to use and the interface is very user friendly. The Asus suite is great, it's easy to update the Bios, monitor fans(you can fully customize what rpm you want at every temp), and the O.C. tuner is pretty decent also. I would definitely recommend it.
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2012 3:34:50 PM

Thanks for your reply, rolli59. I'll keep that in mind.

jboots21 said:
you can fully customize what rpm you want at every temp, and the O.C. tuner is pretty decent also. I would definitely recommend it.

Does it work properly with 3-pin chassis fans? I read that there's some sort of issue with that, which I don't fully understand since I don't own the board.
If you're using air cooling on your CPU, how do you control the heatsink's fans?

Being able to control the CPU heatsink fans is a key factor, since it would end up being the loudest component in my system. With the Asus P8Z77-V Pro, you can only monitor the CPU fans if they're PWM, which mine aren't. It kind of concerns me that investing in quieter components won't make a difference, if the CPU fans will always be at 100% and louder than the rest.

I could be completely wrong about the way it works though, that's just how I got it from reading other people's experiences.
m
l
June 8, 2012 6:02:09 PM

Stormborn said:
Thanks for your reply, rolli59. I'll keep that in mind.

Does it work properly with 3-pin chassis fans? I read that there's some sort of issue with that, which I don't fully understand since I don't own the board.
If you're using air cooling on your CPU, how do you control the heatsink's fans?

Being able to control the CPU heatsink fans is a key factor, since it would end up being the loudest component in my system. With the Asus P8Z77-V Pro, you can only monitor the CPU fans if they're PWM, which mine aren't. It kind of concerns me that investing in quieter components won't make a difference, if the CPU fans will always be at 100% and louder than the rest.

I could be completely wrong about the way it works though, that's just how I got it from reading other people's experiences.

I'm using the CM Hyper 212 Evo to cool my CPU and I can control the fan speed using the Asus software without problems. From what I've read here, it seems that an update to the software allows you to monitor 3 pin fans as well. I've found another post that also states that the new software supports 3 pin fans here. The board also has a CPU fan and CPU opt fan so you can mount two fans on the heat sink and monitor both if needed.
m
l
June 8, 2012 7:13:52 PM

That's all very useful information, thank you!
The Hyper 212 EVO fans are PWM if I'm not mistaken. I don't think they're as quiet as the NH-D14 I'm planning on using, though I'll look into it. Do you know of a way to control 3-pin CPU fans through the P8Z77-V Pro?

Edit: Can you control 3-pin fans individually with Fan Xpert 2? Can't seem to find a conclusive answer for this. Some say yes, some say no.

I'd still like to get feedback on the option of getting the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H and a fan controller.
m
l
June 10, 2012 2:16:54 AM

For the Asus P8Z77-V Pro:
Could anyone confirm that if I connect my CPU fans (two fans, both 3-pin) to a chassis fan header using a Y splitter, they're be controllable through Fan Xpert 2 or some other kind of software?

There are two CPU fan headers, and they're both suitable for 4-pin fans only, hence I was thinking connecting my heatsink's fans to a case fan header would be more practical. Those work with either 3-pin or 4-pin fans.
m
l
!