MSI GTX 580 Lightning or ASUS DirectCUii?

DidHeDied

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hey,

I'm about to buy a new Graphics card and need help deciding which one. I'm assuming the MSI is better?

Thanks

phenom90

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
lightning is for overclockers who wants extreme voltage tweaking that can last longer than reference card... for non-overclockers having a lightning is just like you own a supercar but u will only drive at 80km/h...

phenom90

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
at first i was looking at the palit gtx 570 sonic platinum... but when i found leadtek later on... its price difference is just too much for me to take palit home so i decided sticking with leadtek gtx 570 which is a reference card despite it runs hotter than palit...

what i learn from my personal experience in pc the component that dies the quickest is your graphics card.. whether you mess with the voltage or not... i won't even try it now because i still have a long way to go before reaching the next stop kepler...

buy the aftermarket solution is a wise choice... my reference 570 runs reaches 81-82C when running crysis 2...

phenom90

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
yeah.. but i still hope nvidia will release their high end part kepler around october to november this year... honestly.. i don't expect kepler will deliver like nvidia said 3-4 times performance per watt compared to fermi... but if nvidia can equal or approximately 10-15% faster than gtx 580 performance at the power consumption of hd 6870... kepler will definitely be in my shopping list this or next year...

It was 3x Double Precision performance per watt, so you are correct, it will not improve gaming performance by 3x. However I am interested in DP (scientific work) so I am eagerly awaiting Kepler (and hoping NVidia won't have a tantrum and artificially limit the DP performance like they did with GTX 400/500).

phenom90

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
yeah... hopefully i can get a brand new card by the end of this year... and hopefully they don't disappoint.. like they did with gf 100... not only it's late... but also runs too hot and power hungry to be desirable... since i gaming alot... probably 5-6 hours a day and since i'm now using gtx 570 i'm little worried that it will leave huge impact on my electricity bill... hoping kepler can resolve all that and bring high end gaming performance at a low power cost... and kepler will be in my machine next year...