UK Build/Upgrade Help and Advice

WinchesterLa

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hi guys, long time lurker for all my technical difficulties but its time i seeked help from the knowledge on here.

I built my first system in 2008 and it has finally bit the dust hence my upgrade/build.

The specs of that system are as follows:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
PSU: Thermaltake 600w psu
GPU: Nvidia Geforce XFX 9600GT 512mb DDR3
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3ghz
Case: AQUA Jeantech gaming development
HD: Samsung SPOINT 500gb 7200 SATAll 16mb
RAM: Corsair XMS6400 4GB (2x2GB) 800mhz

Now, the reason im doing this is my 9600gt decided to have its own little bonfire and did not inform me. There was smoke coming from the pci-e connector so i abruptly switched off the system opened her up and the gfx card was so hot it had to be left for at least 20 mins to cool down before being touched. I found a blown capacitor (the voltage regulator one i think?) and replaced it with an older intact capacitor. I placed the gfx card back in and it seemed to be working fine, no smoke and the fan was running smoothly, the only problem is a black screen so i'm done with this card and decided its time for an upgrade.

Now im looking to keep this as cheap as possible, preferably under £300 (will be using UK sites)

I have so far determined that to keep up to date per say ( enough to play new games but im not one far maxing out crysis etc etc etc) im going to need to upgrade a few components.

Below in bold is what i have chosen so far and the rest is what i plan to keep:

MOBO: Asus M4A87TD EVO AMD 870 (Socket AM3) (£79.99 Novatech)
PSU: Thermaltake 600w psu (KEEPING)
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon 5770 Vapor-X 1024MB GDDR5 ( £99.98 Novatech)
CPU: AMD Quad Core Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 ( £87.98 Novatech)
Case: AQUA Jeantech gaming development (KEEPING)
HD: Samsung SPOINT 500gb 7200 SATAll 16mb (KEEPING??)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit ( £39.98 Novatech)

Those 4 items coming in at just over £300

So thats my plan... Im still unsure whether to upgrade my HD as the new mobo has sata 6g/b whereas mine is only 3g/b and whether i have chosen the best possible for budget.

All your help will be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

WinchesterLa

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Excellent cheers for the help, ill probably update my HD at some point soon for speed and also put my os on an ssd eventually.

With my mobo choice is there any other alternatives which perform on par of above my choice for cheaper or same?

Im really after usb 3.0, sata 6g/b, 2X PCIe 2.0 x16 (eventually adding another gfx card) basically anything that will future proof myself for a while