Emailing photos - How to shrink them down w/ OE.

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 7, 2005 8:31:43 PM

I use OE and have Windows XP SP2 - does anyone know a way to mail photos
from my OE and shrink them down. I know how to mail from a single folder but
I want to be in my OE and click the attachment button and chose photos from
several different folders and make them smaller to Email all in the message.

THANKS!!
Jim

More about : emailing photos shrink

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 8:51:32 PM

do not spam wrote:

> I use OE and have Windows XP SP2 - does anyone know a way to mail photos
> from my OE and shrink them down. I know how to mail from a single folder but
> I want to be in my OE and click the attachment button and chose photos from
> several different folders and make them smaller to Email all in the message.

If you left click on your image(s) directly and choose
'Send To' from the popup menu, you have the option of
choosing 'mail recipient'

When you choose 'mail recipient', you should be prompted
as to whether you want to shrink the image or not..

Choose shrink :)

Once you're done, OE will open with the image shrunk and
attached and ready to send. Just add the name of the recipient
and any text you want to add.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:10:19 PM

Jim wrote:
> I use OE and have Windows XP SP2 - does anyone know a way to mail photos
> from my OE and shrink them down. I know how to mail from a single folder but
> I want to be in my OE and click the attachment button and chose photos from
> several different folders and make them smaller to Email all in the message.
>
> THANKS!!
> Jim

Go to the Microsoft site and download the 'powertoys'. One of them
makes this process quite painless. You just select the picture from
Explorer and right click. It will then offer you an email option, which
will then bring up a dialog asking you what size you want. It will
resize/resample the picture to the new size, and feed it to your email
program.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Jim Townsend wrote:
> do not spam wrote:
>

>>I use OE and have Windows XP SP2 - does anyone know a way to mail photos
>>from my OE and shrink them down. I know how to mail from a single folder but
>>I want to be in my OE and click the attachment button and chose photos from
>>several different folders and make them smaller to Email all in the message.
>

> If you left click on your image(s) directly and choose
> 'Send To' from the popup menu, you have the option of
> choosing 'mail recipient'
>
> When you choose 'mail recipient', you should be prompted
> as to whether you want to shrink the image or not..
>
> Choose shrink :)
>
> Once you're done, OE will open with the image shrunk and
> attached and ready to send. Just add the name of the recipient
> and any text you want to add.

The OP said he already knows how to do that. The OP wants to add images from
multiple folders to one email.

--
Ben Thomas
Anonymous

Ben Thomas wrote:

> Jim Townsend wrote:
>> do not spam wrote:
>>

>>>I use OE and have Windows XP SP2 - does anyone know a way to mail photos
>>>from my OE and shrink them down. I know how to mail from a single folder but
>>>I want to be in my OE and click the attachment button and chose photos from
>>>several different folders and make them smaller to Email all in the message.
>>

>> If you left click on your image(s) directly and choose
>> 'Send To' from the popup menu, you have the option of
>> choosing 'mail recipient'
>>
>> When you choose 'mail recipient', you should be prompted
>> as to whether you want to shrink the image or not..
>>
>> Choose shrink :)
>>
>> Once you're done, OE will open with the image shrunk and
>> attached and ready to send. Just add the name of the recipient
>> and any text you want to add.
>
> The OP said he already knows how to do that. The OP wants to add images from
> multiple folders to one email.

Hmm.. you're right.. Gotta read slower :-)

I don't think you can do this directly from
OE..
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 3:23:04 AM

Ben Thomas wrote:
> Jim Townsend wrote:
>
>> do not spam wrote:
>>

>>> I use OE and have Windows XP SP2 - does anyone know a way to mail photos
>>> from my OE and shrink them down. I know how to mail from a single
>>> folder but
>>> I want to be in my OE and click the attachment button and chose
>>> photos from
>>> several different folders and make them smaller to Email all in the
>>> message.
>>

>> If you left click on your image(s) directly and choose
>> 'Send To' from the popup menu, you have the option of
>> choosing 'mail recipient'
>>
>> When you choose 'mail recipient', you should be prompted as to whether
>> you want to shrink the image or not..
>> Choose shrink :)
>>
>> Once you're done, OE will open with the image shrunk and
>> attached and ready to send. Just add the name of the recipient and
>> any text you want to add.
>

> The OP said he already knows how to do that. The OP wants to add images
> from multiple folders to one email.
>
> --
> Ben Thomas

Wasn't what he asked. We are supposed to read his mine, as you seem to
have???

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 3:23:05 AM

Jim Townsend wrote:
> Ben Thomas wrote:
>

>>Jim Townsend wrote:

>>>If you left click on your image(s) directly and choose
>>>'Send To' from the popup menu, you have the option of
>>>choosing 'mail recipient'
>>>
>>>When you choose 'mail recipient', you should be prompted
>>>as to whether you want to shrink the image or not..
>>>
>>>Choose shrink :)
>>>
>>>Once you're done, OE will open with the image shrunk and
>>>attached and ready to send. Just add the name of the recipient
>>>and any text you want to add.
>>
>>The OP said he already knows how to do that. The OP wants to add images from
>>multiple folders to one email.
>

> Hmm.. you're right.. Gotta read slower :-)
>
> I don't think you can do this directly from
> OE..

It would require moving/copying them to a folder first, I believe.

--

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Ben Thomas wrote:

>> The OP said he already knows how to do that. The OP wants to add images
>> from multiple folders to one email.

> Wasn't what he asked. We are supposed to read his mine, as you seem to
> have???

The OP said he knows how to "send from a single folder"
but can't do the same from within OE when adding
attachments.

He doesn't say he's right clicking and choosing 'send
to mail recipient', but I guess you can assume he
was doing that since there's no other way to mail
a message to someone from a "single folder".

I think he wants to open OE, add an attachement
and shrink it in the same manner as the right
click method.

The question wasn't worded that clearly :-)
March 10, 2005 8:02:25 PM

"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> Ben Thomas wrote:
>
>>> The OP said he already knows how to do that. The OP wants to add images
>>> from multiple folders to one email.
>
>> Wasn't what he asked. We are supposed to read his mine, as you seem to
>> have???
>>

> The OP said he knows how to "send from a single folder"
> but can't do the same from within OE when adding
> attachments.
>
> He doesn't say he's right clicking and choosing 'send
> to mail recipient', but I guess you can assume he
> was doing that since there's no other way to mail
> a message to someone from a "single folder".
>
> I think he wants to open OE, add an attachement
> and shrink it in the same manner as the right
> click method.
>
> The question wasn't worded that clearly :-)

Thanks to all who replied! I will take a look at the powertoys to see if
this may help. Maybe Microsoft will create a way in the future to do what I
am asking.
I can not say if my question was clear or not and if not - SORRY!!! In my
head it made perfect sense. For now I can create a folder on my desktop -
add the shrunken pictures in it then mail the folder. It just seems like a
pain this way and an easy thing to invent to do - a way to attach a pic to
the mail then shrink at that time - repeat for each folder I want to send
from. OR....I could be like everyone I know - ALL their pictures are under
"my pictures" and they just hunt there. Maybe I should just stop taking so
many digital pictures and boring my family and friends with them via Email?!

Jim / NJ

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 8:02:26 PM

Jim wrote:
> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
>
>>Ron Hunter wrote:

>>>Wasn't what he asked. We are supposed to read his mine, as you seem to
>>>have???
>>>

>>The OP said he knows how to "send from a single folder"
>>but can't do the same from within OE when adding
>>attachments.
>>
>>He doesn't say he's right clicking and choosing 'send
>>to mail recipient', but I guess you can assume he
>>was doing that since there's no other way to mail
>>a message to someone from a "single folder".
>>
>>I think he wants to open OE, add an attachement
>>and shrink it in the same manner as the right
>>click method.
>>
>>The question wasn't worded that clearly :-)
>

> Thanks to all who replied! I will take a look at the powertoys to see if
> this may help. Maybe Microsoft will create a way in the future to do what I
> am asking.
> I can not say if my question was clear or not and if not - SORRY!!! In my
> head it made perfect sense. For now I can create a folder on my desktop -
> add the shrunken pictures in it then mail the folder. It just seems like a
> pain this way and an easy thing to invent to do - a way to attach a pic to
> the mail then shrink at that time - repeat for each folder I want to send
> from. OR....I could be like everyone I know - ALL their pictures are under
> "my pictures" and they just hunt there. Maybe I should just stop taking so
> many digital pictures and boring my family and friends with them via Email?!
>
> Jim / NJ

There is software, some free, like Picasa 2 which will do what you want,
and much much more. Check it out at Google.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
March 10, 2005 8:06:54 PM

> Jim wrote:
>> I use OE and have Windows XP SP2 - does anyone know a way to mail photos
>> from my OE and shrink them down. I know how to mail from a single folder
>> but I want to be in my OE and click the attachment button and chose
>> photos from several different folders and make them smaller to Email all
>> in the message.
>>
>> THANKS!!
>> Jim
> Go to the Microsoft site and download the 'powertoys'. One of them makes
> this process quite painless. You just select the picture from Explorer
> and right click. It will then offer you an email option, which will then
> bring up a dialog asking you what size you want. It will resize/resample
> the picture to the new size, and feed it to your email program.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

PS to my earlier reply. This says to select from Explorer? My pics are in
folders on my C drive - not in IE? Pardon the ignorance - I'm not that
computer literate (Hence the original post and delay in reading the replies)
so maybe you mean a different Explorer.
Jim
March 10, 2005 8:16:12 PM

> Jim wrote:
>> I use OE and have Windows XP SP2 - does anyone know a way to mail photos
>> from my OE and shrink them down. I know how to mail from a single folder
>> but I want to be in my OE and click the attachment button and chose
>> photos from several different folders and make them smaller to Email all
>> in the message.
>>
>> THANKS!!
>> Jim
> Go to the Microsoft site and download the 'powertoys'. One of them makes
> this process quite painless. You just select the picture from Explorer
> and right click. It will then offer you an email option, which will then
> bring up a dialog asking you what size you want. It will resize/resample
> the picture to the new size, and feed it to your email program.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

SORRY for the three replies. I went to MS and downloaded what Ron said and I
found how to "resize" the pictures as a copy - then I guess I could Email
them from there but then I'd have all these copies of the originals no? Then
I'd want to delete those? And still can't jus hit new mail and go from
there? I'll play with it a while.
Jim
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 8:16:13 PM

Jim wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Jim wrote:
>>
>>>I use OE and have Windows XP SP2 - does anyone know a way to mail photos
>>>from my OE and shrink them down. I know how to mail from a single folder
>>>but I want to be in my OE and click the attachment button and chose
>>>photos from several different folders and make them smaller to Email all
>>>in the message.
>>>
>>>THANKS!!
>>>Jim
>>
>>Go to the Microsoft site and download the 'powertoys'. One of them makes
>>this process quite painless. You just select the picture from Explorer
>>and right click. It will then offer you an email option, which will then
>>bring up a dialog asking you what size you want. It will resize/resample
>>the picture to the new size, and feed it to your email program.
>>

>>--
>>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
>

> SORRY for the three replies. I went to MS and downloaded what Ron said and I
> found how to "resize" the pictures as a copy - then I guess I could Email
> them from there but then I'd have all these copies of the originals no? Then
> I'd want to delete those? And still can't jus hit new mail and go from
> there? I'll play with it a while.
> Jim

Try selecting the pictures you want to send, and then right-click. Go
from there.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
March 10, 2005 9:47:26 PM

> Jim wrote:
>> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message

>>>Go to the Microsoft site and download the 'powertoys'. One of them makes
>>>this process quite painless. You just select the picture from Explorer
>>>and right click. It will then offer you an email option, which will then
>>>bring up a dialog asking you what size you want. It will resize/resample
>>>the picture to the new size, and feed it to your email program.
>>>

>>>--
>>>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
>>

>> SORRY for the three replies. I went to MS and downloaded what Ron said
>> and I found how to "resize" the pictures as a copy - then I guess I could
>> Email them from there but then I'd have all these copies of the originals
>> no? Then I'd want to delete those? And still can't jus hit new mail and
>> go from there? I'll play with it a while.
>> Jim
> Try selecting the pictures you want to send, and then right-click. Go
> from there.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

I did what you say but all it does is create a smaller picture within that
same folder and then I have to scroll to the bottom - select it - attach
it - then go into the folder later to delete it. It would be too cool if I
could right click and resize on the spot and only for that one time to send
as an Email. Resize and attach at once. But... your idea was neat and I am
SURE I will use it in the future for resizing. I have a link from when I
first got my camera to IRFANVIEW that I never downloaded their free program.
Maybe something on there will do what I want. Call in and open the albums
then select what I want - resize and mail out then just don't save the work.
It seems the program that came w/ the camera could but it's not easy. I was
looking for the "easy" way out to quickly Email friends and family pictures
we took. I usually download them in groups to folders based on the subject
then name / date them to find later then Email some out at some future time.
Then some friends write back and say they don't open and others they do so I
need a class I think at the local adult education.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:47:27 PM

"Jim" <jkc84xx@optonline(do not spam)xx.removex'stosendmail.net> wrote in
message news:U65Yd.12887$a05.5113@fe12.lga...
major snippage>

Here's a couple of extra hints to make the process a bit easier;

If you don't use Winows XP stop here and disregard all that follows!

Explorer means Windows Explorer, not internet explorer.

Open your email program (outlook express??) and connect to the internet.

Open Windows Explorer, or My Computer, or My Documents and go to your first
foto.

You can select things with the Windows convention of holding down the
CONTROL key and clicking on a folder or file. I haven't tried to send a
whole folder to see if the shrinking option would apply, but I will later.
After making your multiple image selection (BTW, you can unselect by holding
the control and picking on an already selected object) RIGHT click and
select "send to email recipient", select option "resize (make smaller)
foto". I think this will only work with JPGs. From my experience, an image
of 1.5 Mb will compress to about 40 Kb, a 4Mb image will compress to about
45 to 60 Kb.

Back in email, erase the boilerplate text that gets dropped there and your
good to go. I have also used this method to send myself email so I can save
the reduced images to disk for later use. I could use Windows paint, but the
compression is not as great, or Photoshop, but this requires one, by one
selection. The send to email recipient is kewel.

March 10, 2005 9:47:27 PM

Jim wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Jim wrote:
>>
>>>"Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message

>>>SORRY for the three replies. I went to MS and downloaded what Ron said
>>>and I found how to "resize" the pictures as a copy - then I guess I could
>>>Email them from there but then I'd have all these copies of the originals
>>>no? Then I'd want to delete those? And still can't jus hit new mail and
>>>go from there? I'll play with it a while.
>>>Jim
>>
>>Try selecting the pictures you want to send, and then right-click. Go
>>from there.
>>

>>--
>>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
>

> I did what you say but all it does is create a smaller picture within that
> same folder and then I have to scroll to the bottom - select it - attach
> it - then go into the folder later to delete it. It would be too cool if I
> could right click and resize on the spot and only for that one time to send
> as an Email. Resize and attach at once. But... your idea was neat and I am
> SURE I will use it in the future for resizing. I have a link from when I
> first got my camera to IRFANVIEW that I never downloaded their free program.
> Maybe something on there will do what I want. Call in and open the albums
> then select what I want - resize and mail out then just don't save the work.
> It seems the program that came w/ the camera could but it's not easy. I was
> looking for the "easy" way out to quickly Email friends and family pictures
> we took. I usually download them in groups to folders based on the subject
> then name / date them to find later then Email some out at some future time.
> Then some friends write back and say they don't open and others they do so I
> need a class I think at the local adult education.

Irfanview will process a folder to reduce the size of the pictures to
whatever you specify, but it won't subsequently email all of them as far
as I know, and it DOES save them.

Try this:
Select the pictures you want to send. Right-click and select 'send to'.
One of the options should be 'mail recipient'. Click on it. That
will bring up the resize for email dialog. Respond with the size you
want, and it should open OE with the pictures listed (converted ones) as
attachments. Isn't that what you want?

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
March 14, 2005 8:25:47 PM

> Jim wrote:
>> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message

>>>Try selecting the pictures you want to send, and then right-click. Go
>>>from there.
>>>

>>>--
>>>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
>>

>> I did what you say but all it does is create a smaller picture within
>> that same folder and then I have to scroll to the bottom - select it -
>> attach it - then go into the folder later to delete it. It would be too
>> cool if I could right click and resize on the spot and only for that one
>> time to send as an Email. Resize and attach at once. But... your idea was
>> neat and I am SURE I will use it in the future for resizing. I have a
>> link from when I first got my camera to IRFANVIEW that I never downloaded
>> their free program. Maybe something on there will do what I want. Call in
>> and open the albums then select what I want - resize and mail out then
>> just don't save the work. It seems the program that came w/ the camera
>> could but it's not easy. I was looking for the "easy" way out to quickly
>> Email friends and family pictures we took. I usually download them in
>> groups to folders based on the subject then name / date them to find
>> later then Email some out at some future time. Then some friends write
>> back and say they don't open and others they do so I need a class I think
>> at the local adult education.
>>

> Irfanview will process a folder to reduce the size of the pictures to
> whatever you specify, but it won't subsequently email all of them as far
> as I know, and it DOES save them.
>
> Try this:
> Select the pictures you want to send. Right-click and select 'send to'.
> One of the options should be 'mail recipient'. Click on it. That will
> bring up the resize for email dialog. Respond with the size you want, and
> it should open OE with the pictures listed (converted ones) as
> attachments. Isn't that what you want?
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

What I want is to be able to send say three pictures from one folder on my
hard drive and 2 from another and maybe 5 from yet another but ALL in one
Email message and all shrunk down so the recipient can open and see them
easily. All this thru using the attachment button in OE as that is what I
use. What I have to do now is open each folder - shrink it down and send
that then send a 2nd mail message from folder two and repeat until done.
I use XP SP2 w/ OE.
March 14, 2005 8:27:34 PM

"Al Luminium" <thisis@aspoofaddress.com> wrote in message

> "Jim" <jkc84xx@optonline(do not spam)xx.removex'stosendmail.net> wrote in
> message news:U65Yd.12887$a05.5113@fe12.lga...
> major snippage>
>
> Here's a couple of extra hints to make the process a bit easier;
>
> If you don't use Winows XP stop here and disregard all that follows!
>
> Explorer means Windows Explorer, not internet explorer.
>
> Open your email program (outlook express??) and connect to the internet.
>
> Open Windows Explorer, or My Computer, or My Documents and go to your
> first foto.
>
> You can select things with the Windows convention of holding down the
> CONTROL key and clicking on a folder or file. I haven't tried to send a
> whole folder to see if the shrinking option would apply, but I will later.
> After making your multiple image selection (BTW, you can unselect by
> holding the control and picking on an already selected object) RIGHT click
> and select "send to email recipient", select option "resize (make smaller)
> foto". I think this will only work with JPGs. From my experience, an
> image of 1.5 Mb will compress to about 40 Kb, a 4Mb image will compress to
> about 45 to 60 Kb.
>
> Back in email, erase the boilerplate text that gets dropped there and your
> good to go. I have also used this method to send myself email so I can
> save the reduced images to disk for later use. I could use Windows paint,
> but the compression is not as great, or Photoshop, but this requires one,
> by one selection. The send to email recipient is kewel.
>

>Al - If you see this - read my reply to Ron. I know how to do this above -
>I want to be able to do it easily from several folders of pictures in the
>same Email message. Thanks!
March 15, 2005 11:47:04 AM

>What I want is to be able to send say three pictures from one folder on my
>hard drive and 2 from another and maybe 5 from yet another but ALL in one
>Email message and all shrunk down so the recipient can open and see them
>easily. All this thru using the attachment button in OE as that is what I
>use. What I have to do now is open each folder - shrink it down and send
>that then send a 2nd mail message from folder two and repeat until done.
>I use XP SP2 w/ OE.

Check out this program "SendPhotos" at:

http://www.sendphotos.com/?product=SendPhotos&version=3...

This site http://www.broderbund.com still has version 2 for
$9.95 (US). Version 3 is $29.95 (US). Version 3 does have a few
features you might want.

While there are free ways to do what you want this program is soooo
simple to use and makes it so *easy* for the recipient to view the
pictures it may be worth the money for you.

I use it when I have to send photos to friends and family who really
can't be bothered with attachment and they don't want attchments. All
they want is to see the pictures. Check out the program. I think it
may be what you're looking for.
!