Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Hi.

A few months ago, I built a HTPC system with the following specs:

i3 not sure of the speed - can't remember - but around 2ghz
2gb ram 1333mhz
Ati 5570
500gb hdd

From the very first day it has never run videos smoothly. Now I was under the impression that this would be more than enough hardware to run some 1080p movies on my tv. It's always been exceptionally choppy (but never right away....it usually takes 15-20 minutes into the video to become choppy) playing films and it is doing my head in. I have no programmes installed on it apart from the newest version of vlc and some edition of winrar.

I also had some really random and exceptionally rare (from what I could find on teh interwebs) colour inverting thing when I hooked it up to my tv. It seems to be a Phillips tv thing ver specific to a few models...but anyway, I digress as it'll be hooked up to an LG tv from now on and won't have this problem.

Do you have any ideas what it could be? I haven't checked for drivers since I built it first but at the time I do remember having some difficulty finding any drivers at all for it which I found a bit strange.....

I'd really appreciate any help/suggestions you guys would have.

tl;dr video playback choppy which is inconsistent with specs

Caoltan

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Updated the drivers which didn't help but then I downloaded vlc 1.1.1 and enabled gpu decoding and it seems to have worked!

Hooray!

Cheers Christop