Sign in with
Your question

Really, I can't build a dual cpu PC without using server cpus?

Last response: in CPUs
September 18, 2011 1:50:56 AM

This seems ridiculous, I need to build a PC for music production and a dual cpu machine is crucial right now.
I can't afford dual xeons, and the new bulldozer server's just freak me out for some reason, I don't like the name "server".

I'm stumped in building a new machine, I just need dual cpu system and intel will rape me.

F*ck! I'm ready to just update my tricore to the 1100t and settle.
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2011 2:01:12 AM

What's wrong with an Opteron dual CPU system? All dual CPU systems will be referred to as servers because that's what they are typically used for. The 1100T should also work fine.
September 18, 2011 2:05:10 AM

The dual mac pros people are using for music production and video encoding aren't server, I don't think.

And the clock speeds for the opterons are low, especially when the cores start getting larger.

September 18, 2011 4:37:46 AM

markgerazzi said:
The dual mac pros people are using for music production and video encoding aren't server, I don't think.

And the clock speeds for the opterons are low, especially when the cores start getting larger.

Dual Mac Pros use Xeon server chips. If you want to build a dual cpu machine, Xeon and Opteron are your only alternatives. Regular non-server chips do not have the circuitry necessary to work in a dual configuration. As far as the lower clock speeds, a lot depends on your software's ability to utilize multiple cores effectively. A good example would be 3D rendering using a bucket renderer. Since they can render each bucket as a separate process with a dedicated core, a 12 or 24 core machine will will outperform a 4 or 6 core machine running at a higher clock speed.

!