Gigabytes support sucks!

puppetj

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
wl8uuh.jpg

nna2

Distinguished
hate to say it, but you we're being irrational, and if your running that new of hardware, its probably time to upgrade to windows 7 anyways

why don't you just load the drivers into windows after install anyways?

Just gonna stay away from the actual problem at hand and say that if you're using hardware that new, it's time to upgrade to Windows 7. There's really no excuse for not doing so if you're not running a business that HAS to run XP for compatibility reasons (which I doubt, by the way you treated the support person, but regardless, you should have been better prepared for this possible outcome).

puppetj

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
they support it, they give you drivers, and tell you how to do it, I have programs that only work well in native windows xp, Also Im booting windows 7. You guys are so closed minded. Do you work for gigabyte or something??? Did you even read what they replied to me, no even answering my questions, not even knowing what product they put out? are you serious not paying attention?? heres the link to the manual read it and you'll see that how stupid this is!

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4139&dl=1#manual

There IS such a thing as compatibility mode in Windows 7 and I'm an Asus guy (as in I mainly use Asus products, not that I work for them) and have no liking AT ALL for Gigabyte, but you were very abrasive to the support person and handled that situation VERY poorly. Learn some people skills, and try again. A little niceness goes a LONG way, trust me.

And in fairness, please tell me what part of what they told you was wrong? It won't work with a USB floppy drive as far as I'm aware. It needs to be an actual floppy drive unless someone here can prove me wrong.

First, XP 64-bit is a total disaster and looking at your posted specs of 8GB if you install XP SP2 or SP3 32-bit then you're stuck to 4GB (3GB~3.5GB usable).

You can install XP either using a USB Floppy Drive (FDD) <or> use nLiteOS - http://www.nliteos.com/index.html using the XP SP3 ISO (32-bit or 64-bit). There are several guides and the idea here is to inject the AHCI (RAID) driver. You also 'might' get away with simply setting the SATA->IDE and installing XP SP3.

However, most of your applications unless they're very old should work with Windows 7 and if you need one or a few apps to run in XP then I would strongly recommend Windows 7 Professional and install the FREE XP Mode (Windows Virtual PC). See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

More than happy to be helpful when a person doesnt come here asking for peoples advice and then turn out to be an utter jerk. So no I dont need to have a thick skin and helpful attitude to some people :) Not being a jerk to you roy, just tired of people coming here and asking for advice and then turning on the people who are trying to give it. They can go back to their issue with no help as far as im concerned.

The OP is aggravated, so I 'get' that no being able to install an OS easy-breezy can be a little confusing and frustrating. I take none of this personally...

The underlying problem isn't ANY MOBO MFG, but instead the OS with it's OLD (very OLD) and LIMITED driver package. I have an X79 and for any form of RAID you must 'inject' the drivers essentially the same way. The advantage to Windows 7 is that installing it off a a USB Flash Drive is easier.

Therefore, the solution is exactly as I posted above.

Here's a good Guide and as good as any I've seen -> http://www.wikihow.com/Slipstream-Your-SATA-Drivers-Into-a-Windows-XP-Installation-CD-Using-nLite ; note Steps 12-14 will need to be changed for your particular SATA driver.
* iaAHCI.inf = AHCI driver ; from the Guide
* iaStor.inf = AHCI driver from (For AHCI / RAID Mode) F6 driver download
Step 13 = "%userprofile%\desktop\sata driver\iaStor.inf"
Step 14 = not 100% sure on Z77, but should be something like "Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"

Hopefully the OP can make use of it :)