Suggestions Needed on Broken Digital Camera

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 7, 2005 5:38:06 PM

I have a Sony DSC-P92 5.0 MP Camera that I bought new 18 months ago. I
noticed that the lens cover (the 2 plastic pieces that cover the lens)
was sticking for a few weeks, but I would just gently flick them open
when I turned on the camera.

Last night, they wouldn't open at all when I turned on the camera, and
no amount of fiddling would convince them to do so otherwise. I tried
everything from compressed air to resetting the camera. So essentially
the camera is useless until the lens cover is either removed or
repaired.

Being out of warranty, I checked Sony.com and learned they will charge
me a flat $171 to fix it. I also took it to an independent certified
dealer who will charge me $50 to diagnosis and anywhere from $125 -
$300 to fix depending if it's only a small gear or an entire lense
assembly that needs replaced. I really doubt it's the latter, but we're
still talking at least $125 to fix.

Folks, the camera is pristine. It's never been dropped, no scratches or
scrapes, and I always keep it in a camera case when not in use. So it
really bothers me that other than 2 small plastic pieces that are
prohibiting me from taking pictures, the camera is in good working
order.

I really use my camera, so I bought a new one today. I just need some
advice and suggestions on what I should do with my old camera. I
thought about selling it as-is on ebay, but I was really hoping I could
pursue getting it repaired at a reasonable cost, since a broken lense
cover appears to be such a simple thing to fix.

If anyone has any comments, thoughts or suggestions, I would really
like to hear them.

~SirToppemRat
March 7, 2005 10:44:26 PM

James wrote:

> If anyone has any comments, thoughts or suggestions, I would really
> like to hear them.

You can't break something that is already broken. If it was me, I'd "pry"
the lens covers open and/or break them out of the way and just use it
without the covers until something else happens to it. Millions of cameras
were made without those things, you just might have to clean the lens more
often..
--

Stacey
Anonymous

James wrote:
> I have a Sony DSC-P92 5.0 MP Camera that I bought new 18 months ago. I
> noticed that the lens cover (the 2 plastic pieces that cover the lens)
> was sticking for a few weeks, but I would just gently flick them open
> when I turned on the camera.
>
> Last night, they wouldn't open at all when I turned on the camera, and
> no amount of fiddling would convince them to do so otherwise. I tried
> everything from compressed air to resetting the camera. So essentially
> the camera is useless until the lens cover is either removed or
> repaired.
>
> Being out of warranty, I checked Sony.com and learned they will charge
> me a flat $171 to fix it. I also took it to an independent certified
> dealer who will charge me $50 to diagnosis and anywhere from $125 -
> $300 to fix depending if it's only a small gear or an entire lense
> assembly that needs replaced. I really doubt it's the latter, but we're
> still talking at least $125 to fix.
>
> Folks, the camera is pristine. It's never been dropped, no scratches or
> scrapes, and I always keep it in a camera case when not in use. So it
> really bothers me that other than 2 small plastic pieces that are
> prohibiting me from taking pictures, the camera is in good working
> order.
>
> I really use my camera, so I bought a new one today. I just need some
> advice and suggestions on what I should do with my old camera. I
> thought about selling it as-is on ebay, but I was really hoping I could
> pursue getting it repaired at a reasonable cost, since a broken lense
> cover appears to be such a simple thing to fix.
>
> If anyone has any comments, thoughts or suggestions, I would really
> like to hear them.
>
> ~SirToppemRat

Get a screw driver and open it. I had a similar problem on an old Kodak DX3800.
The metal case got a bit bent too and I did a bit of panel beating to get it
back into shape.

--
Ben Thomas
Related resources

"James" <sirtoppemrat@hotmail.com> wrote:

[snip]
>I really use my camera, so I bought a new one today. I just need some
>advice and suggestions on what I should do with my old camera. I
>thought about selling it as-is on ebay, but I was really hoping I could
>pursue getting it repaired at a reasonable cost, since a broken lense
>cover appears to be such a simple thing to fix.
>
>If anyone has any comments, thoughts or suggestions, I would really
>like to hear them.
>
>~SirToppemRat

You can download a level 2 manual at this link:
http://www.wimtv.be/techniforum/files/dsc-p92_l2.pdf

You might have to register but it doesn't cost anything. If you fail,
use my spam block address at bottom and I'll email it to you.

At the least, it will show you how to take it a part.

Wes