Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing LED Bars In My Case Need Help...

Last response: in Components
September 18, 2011 3:03:28 AM

I have a dual led light bar that was originally for a cars 12volt socket (Cig Lighter plug in)
I want to know how to install it in my case. where to hook it up to and all that
My Mobo is BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Link:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and my PSU is Here :http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

Should i wire it to someplace with the PSU or on the MOBO?
its your basic speaker wire stuff...
Please help.

September 18, 2011 3:59:45 AM

This has bad idea written all over it.
m
l

Best solution

September 18, 2011 4:02:30 AM

You don't want to wire it directly to your psu. The easiest way is probably using a four-pin molex connection. You can buy the plastic connectors by themselves, but the easiest way might be to find something that already uses a molex connector (like an old fan or an old LED or something) and snip off the connector. The connector will look like the picture below except with the back wires snipped off and it should be a female connection (the PSU will have a male connection). The colors might be different, but the order of the wires/voltages won't change relative to the orientation of the plug.

The yellow is +12V and the red is +5V and the black are ground. Figure out which wire on your LED is the positive and which is the negative and solder the positive wire to the +12V wire and the negative wire to the ground closest to the +12V (you'll obviously need to strip a half inch or so on all four wires). Plug the molex connector into your power supply and you're good to go.

*IMPORTANT* Do not leave any bare wire at all. Period. Heat shrink any bare wire. Otherwise you're risking a short and the death of your machine.
Related resources
September 18, 2011 4:05:06 AM

vigilante212 said:
This has bad idea written all over it.

12V DC is 12V DC - doesn't matter if it's in a car of a computer.

But you're only going to get it to work if you're very comfortable with electronics and splicing/soldering wires. Don't follow my suggestion unless you completely understand what's going on.

As a disclaimer, I'm not responsible if you blow up your LED or your computer or your house. :) 
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
September 18, 2011 9:00:46 AM

I'm either a resourceful kinda guy, or a repository of bad ideas then hehe
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/?...

Lightbar made by me

as long as you wire up the molex right, you will be fine, I have on/off switches and a fancontroller as a dimmer on my monstrosities :) 
Previous disclaimer by Danrais holds though, be sure what your doing before playing with eletricity :p 
(Subliminal message:D OITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOIT)
**Edit, click first link, its actually a video of fancontroller dimming cathodes
Moto
m
l
September 18, 2011 1:23:10 PM

Ok thank you for everyone who helpec me out with this and YES i know electronics and electricity i have my car decked out with Led Bars, fog Lights, Flex LEd Strips, led bars and led spotlights. all wired by self and all hooked to various switches.

So thank you everyone
Oh and MOTO what fan are you using on your CPU?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 18, 2011 1:23:21 PM

or just buy a led strip from ebay that already has a molex on it--the one advantage with these over bars is they are flexible and can go round corners etc--they are really cheap nowadays
m
l
September 18, 2011 1:23:35 PM

Best answer selected by Spikebob21.
m
l
September 18, 2011 1:27:48 PM

danraies said:
You don't want to wire it directly to your psu. The easiest way is probably using a four-pin molex connection. You can buy the plastic connectors by themselves, but the easiest way might be to find something that already uses a molex connector (like an old fan or an old LED or something) and snip off the connector. The connector will look like the picture below except with the back wires snipped off and it should be a female connection (the PSU will have a male connection). The colors might be different, but the order of the wires/voltages won't change relative to the orientation of the plug.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Molex_female_connector.jpg
The yellow is +12V and the red is +5V and the black are ground. Figure out which wire on your LED is the positive and which is the negative and solder the positive wire to the +12V wire and the negative wire to the ground closest to the +12V (you'll obviously need to strip a half inch or so on all four wires). Plug the molex connector into your power supply and you're good to go.

*IMPORTANT* Do not leave any bare wire at all. Period. Heat shrink any bare wire. Otherwise you're risking a short and the death of your machine.

Hey i dont need the +5v and that ground wire to hook up the bar so i can leave them un spliced..?
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
September 18, 2011 2:41:14 PM

Yup, you can also find passthrough molex plugs if you want to keep it tidy/removable **Do make sure you have a ground on there though*
http://www.techbuy.com.au/product.asp?prodId=120852&cat... kind of thing, just remove the little block and wire up as required,
The fan on that cpu, theres actually two lol, its the standard Amd fan as fitted to the Hs from factory, with a card gasket then another 80mm glued onto that, like I said, genius or madman hehe :p 
Moto
m
l
September 18, 2011 3:03:07 PM

lol MADMAN fan on top of a fan.... lmao anyways i just blew up the two light bars.. lmao the first i was messing around with and pluged it into an outlet lmao i knew it was gonna blow but w/e and the sencond blew when i just stuck the wires into an open molex... made the computer shutdown yea im a dumbass...
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
September 18, 2011 4:02:34 PM

Lol, must've got them backwards :-)
Hope it goes better next time you try :-p
Moto
m
l
September 18, 2011 5:08:33 PM

lol yea no big deal its not like i paid for the bars.
m
l
July 12, 2012 4:46:56 AM

Thank you so much for answering this question, I have been looking for months to find the easiest way to attach LED lights to my pc and this method worked absolutely 100% perfectly, thank you so very much
m
l
!