ASrock p67 extreme 4 mobo
8gb RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X for p67
spinpoint 1tb HD
Asus combo drive
Corsair TX750W v. 2 PSU
HIS HD 6870 x2 in Crossfire format
CoolerMaster HAF 922 case
CoolerMaster hyper 212 plus

The ambient temp in the room is 78-82 F usually and the computer will idle at 35 to 40 C. When I'm playing a game on full resolution, the core temp will ramp up to 55 to 60. I have not overclocked at all, everything is still on factory settings

There is one section of the game Darksiders where you can populate multiple copies of enemies (horsemen) on screen and this is the only time when the game doesn't run smoothly. When I run core temp while I play this section of the game, I see that the core temp will spike at 67 C (just core 2) and the other 3 cores will be 63-65 C.

I've done two separate applications of the thermal paste and that hasn't helped; maybe I'm just bad at applying paste? I've touched the copper heat transferring tubes of the heat sink and they are not warm at all.

I've also taken the side of the case off and aimed a room circulator at the radiator portion of the hyper 212 and the temperature will still spike under load but it comes back down very quickly to an idle temp of 35 ish. When I play league of legends the temperature spikes in the high 50s. When I do the Darksiders thing it will get to the low 60s.

How should I be approaching this problem? Thank you all in advance!

I run Windows 7 64 bit and the computer hasn't shut down or anything, but I feel like it's a ticking time bomb.