Help me choosing a GTX580

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2011 4:10:09 PM

Hello everyone,

anybody could please help me choosing between these 2 GTX 580:

MSI N580GTX Twin Forza
or

EVGA GTX580 superclocked

One comes with 3 years warranty and the other one is lifetime warranty?? I heard MSI products(video cards) are awesome but the lifetime warranty and the support from EVAG is giving me hard time to make my choice.

Anybody could share is experience???

Regards

Guillaume

More about : choosing gtx580

a c 647 U Graphics card
April 9, 2011 4:30:37 PM

The EVGA is an external exhaust model, while the MSI Twin Frozr exhausts hot air inside the case. If you have good case airflow, get the MSI card. It has high quality components and a very effective cooler. If not, or if you plan to go for SLI in the future, get the EVGA.

The EVGA will be slightly quieter than the MSI Twin Frozr as well. This page is showing the GTX 570 with vapor chamber cooling, like the EVGA, slightly quieter than the MSI GTX 560 Twin Frozr, so the MSI 570 will be even slightly more noisy. The differences are minimal, however.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-n560gtx-ti-twin-froze...
m
l
April 10, 2011 12:49:23 AM

Well, I've personally had extremely good experiences with EVGA. I've had a gtx 260 from them, and it's been awesome. No problems at all. If you are considering a gtx 580, I would suggest also looking at alternative options. I decided a couple days ago to that it was time to upgrade my system from my two gtx 260s to a gtx 580 or 590. I ordered my video cards today, but ended up ordering two AMD 6950s. Two 6950s will be faster than 1 gtx 580, but will cost equal or less. That's why I went that route. I love nvidia and have never owned an ATI card, so it has nothing to do with the brand, in my case. I just went with the cards that get me the best bang for the buck. If you think that you might upgrade to a second gtx 580 in the near future, then the 580 route may make sense, because sli 580s will be faster than crossfire 6950s. That being said, crossfire (meaning two cards linked by a bridge. If you don't understand what this means, message me and I'll explain it to you. :) 

Here's some numbers that I found when I was doing my research:

The 6950s in crossfire are faster, in many cases, than the $700 gtx 590 or the $500 gtx 580. Based on the 1920x1200 (which is close to what I run my system at... 1920x1080) results from the Anandtech gtx 590 review (which also showed performance from the AMD 6990, gtx 580, gtx 580 sli, and 6950cf), this is a of crossfire AMD 6950s vs a single gtx 580:

(The number on the left is a single gtx 580. The number on the right is the crossfire 6950s)

Crysis Warhead: 56.9 fps vs 89.1 fps (56% faster) (also beats the 83.1 of the gtx 590)

Metro 2033: 42.0 vs 60.5 (44% faster) (also beats the 57.0 of the gtx 590)

Battlefield Bad Company 2: 82.4 vs 126.4 (53% faster) (also beats 120.7 of the gtx 590)

Stalker: Call of Pripyat: 63.7 vs 96.5 (51% faster) (This also beats the 89.8 of the gtx 590)

Here's the link to the Anandtech review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4239 [...] ard-king/8

(The reason I'm not linking to a Tomshardware review is because they didn't compare the 6950 crossfire setup in their review)\

The AMD 6950 can be found on newegg for 235 each right now on newegg, so two of them is actually going to be cheaper than one gtx 580. If you only have one slot available, then go for the 580. If you have two slots, I would weigh all the options so you get the most horsepower for your money.

If you decide you still want the GTX 580, then I would go with EVGA. They have very good tech support, in my experience, and respond quickly. I have never had anything of mine personally break that was an EVGA brand item, but I helped a friend who got a defective video card from them. They gave him absolutely no trouble and he had a replacement card within days of calling them.
m
l
Related resources
a c 647 U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 2:03:31 AM

jednx01 said:
Well, I've personally had extremely good experiences with EVGA. I've had a gtx 260 from them, and it's been awesome. No problems at all. If you are considering a gtx 580, I would suggest also looking at alternative options. I decided a couple days ago to that it was time to upgrade my system from my two gtx 260s to a gtx 580 or 590. I ordered my video cards today, but ended up ordering two AMD 6950s. Two 6950s will be faster than 1 gtx 580, but will cost equal or less. That's why I went that route. I love nvidia and have never owned an ATI card, so it has nothing to do with the brand, in my case. I just went with the cards that get me the best bang for the buck. If you think that you might upgrade to a second gtx 580 in the near future, then the 580 route may make sense, because sli 580s will be faster than crossfire 6950s. That being said, crossfire (meaning two cards linked by a bridge. If you don't understand what this means, message me and I'll explain it to you. :) 

Here's some numbers that I found when I was doing my research:

The 6950s in crossfire are faster, in many cases, than the $700 gtx 590 or the $500 gtx 580. Based on the 1920x1200 (which is close to what I run my system at... 1920x1080) results from the Anandtech gtx 590 review (which also showed performance from the AMD 6990, gtx 580, gtx 580 sli, and 6950cf), this is a of crossfire AMD 6950s vs a single gtx 580:

(The number on the left is a single gtx 580. The number on the right is the crossfire 6950s)

Crysis Warhead: 56.9 fps vs 89.1 fps (56% faster) (also beats the 83.1 of the gtx 590)

Metro 2033: 42.0 vs 60.5 (44% faster) (also beats the 57.0 of the gtx 590)

Battlefield Bad Company 2: 82.4 vs 126.4 (53% faster) (also beats 120.7 of the gtx 590)

Stalker: Call of Pripyat: 63.7 vs 96.5 (51% faster) (This also beats the 89.8 of the gtx 590)

Here's the link to the Anandtech review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4239 [...] ard-king/8

(The reason I'm not linking to a Tomshardware review is because they didn't compare the 6950 crossfire setup in their review)\

The AMD 6950 can be found on newegg for 235 each right now on newegg, so two of them is actually going to be cheaper than one gtx 580. If you only have one slot available, then go for the 580. If you have two slots, I would weigh all the options so you get the most horsepower for your money.

If you decide you still want the GTX 580, then I would go with EVGA. They have very good tech support, in my experience, and respond quickly. I have never had anything of mine personally break that was an EVGA brand item, but I helped a friend who got a defective video card from them. They gave him absolutely no trouble and he had a replacement card within days of calling them.

Noisy + Hot + Unstable Drivers
m
l
April 10, 2011 2:19:51 AM

According to all the reviews, the cards aren't any hotter or noiser than the nvidia cards. I'm hoping they're not as bad as you guys are saying, or else I'm in for a real pain in the rear. lol
m
l
April 10, 2011 3:34:02 AM

Thanks for all your answer.

I currently have 2xRadeon HD 6970 in crossfire(P..C..r). I don't know if its the brand or because they are defective but my experience with the customer service didn't go as well as I tought that it should be. These video cards are noisy, capacitors noise. From the answer that I received from the support is because my current input was unstable. Alright so I sent my computer for a check up at the dealer where I bought them. They checked, single, crossfire, on other computers, with different power supplies and they were still noisy. I even had an electrician who came to my house and checked my wall connexion. From what I think, a 2Volt variation will never affect any component in my computer. On top of that, I have a crazy UPS who's suppose to regularize that power input(APC BR1500G).

I have nothing to complain about the fact of their performances but my computer is standing right next to my screen where I'm sitting and the noise, only generated in games, is really anoying. I find bizarre that they told me, the first answer, that it was a normal noise. I work as a mecanician and there is a way much more capacitors in cars then in a single video card. Never heard any of them making noise because the power input of the alternator was unstable.

After concidering my budget and my needs, I will sell these and go for 2 MSI GTX570 Twin Forzr, concidering that these will run any game that I plan to play for at least 2 years. This way, I wont spend 1000 buck on GTX580 and loose that much money. And in the futur, I'll still have money to upgrade my video cards to follow the needs of newer games.

Thanks a lot for all your answer you helped me making my choice.

Best regards

Guillaume
m
l
a c 647 U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 3:56:48 PM

guillaume1706 said:
Thanks for all your answer.

I currently have 2xRadeon HD 6970 in crossfire(P..C..r). I don't know if its the brand or because they are defective but my experience with the customer service didn't go as well as I tought that it should be. These video cards are noisy, capacitors noise. From the answer that I received from the support is because my current input was unstable. Alright so I sent my computer for a check up at the dealer where I bought them. They checked, single, crossfire, on other computers, with different power supplies and they were still noisy. I even had an electrician who came to my house and checked my wall connexion. From what I think, a 2Volt variation will never affect any component in my computer. On top of that, I have a crazy UPS who's suppose to regularize that power input(APC BR1500G).

I have nothing to complain about the fact of their performances but my computer is standing right next to my screen where I'm sitting and the noise, only generated in games, is really anoying. I find bizarre that they told me, the first answer, that it was a normal noise. I work as a mecanician and there is a way much more capacitors in cars then in a single video card. Never heard any of them making noise because the power input of the alternator was unstable.

After concidering my budget and my needs, I will sell these and go for 2 MSI GTX570 Twin Forzr, concidering that these will run any game that I plan to play for at least 2 years. This way, I wont spend 1000 buck on GTX580 and loose that much money. And in the futur, I'll still have money to upgrade my video cards to follow the needs of newer games.

Thanks a lot for all your answer you helped me making my choice.

Best regards

Guillaume

According to Hardware Heaven in regards to the XFX 6950 and 6970 in Crossfire (includes noise samples):
"the noise levels being produced in dual and triple card mode were, to be honest, unbearable."
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1084/pg21/xfx-rad...
m
l
April 10, 2011 7:42:31 PM

That's completly true. That's not the only thing that's wrong. In my case, a fan noise could be "acceptable" but what I hear is a thickling, buzzing, electrical noise coming, from what they told me(P..C..r) capacitors on the video cards that were trying to stabilize the unstable power input that I'm using. The problem is that this noise is present event with different power supply and different wall connexion. I have sent one for RMA, will test it, as soon I have it back, on the computer of my friend that have the same components to see if there is any difference.

No mather what, they lost me as a customer. I was sold Nvidia, tried twice ATI products, first had no problem, but the second one, my biggest investment(750$) is giving me hard times. I supposed by paying that amount that I wouldn't have to fight to be satisfied. The only that I'm happy with is that at least I had feedback.

Have a good one everybody.

Regard

Guillaume
m
l
April 10, 2011 11:21:18 PM

Have you considered waiting for the MSI GTX 580 Lightning to come back in stock? It's clocked higher than the EVGA superclocked gtx 580 and costs just $5 more. Check out this video unboxing. It looks like a really really sweet card:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWs01pMrzuE

Also, I've been reading a lot about crossfire and sli setups and they seem fine so long as your games run much faster than your monitor's refresh rate, but if a game stresses your GPUs enough to bring your frame rates lower than 60fps (like a metro 2033 or a Crysis), then "microstuttering" starts to become noticeable.

Some people notice it and some don't, but you should definitely research it. I read this old thread on [H]ard Forums about it:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1317582
m
l
April 10, 2011 11:47:51 PM

Quote:
any card outpace a lcd thats why we use vsync

Yeah, except for in games like Crysis or Metro.
m
l
!