Older gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganklin

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
hey all,

I have an older Gateway computer sitting in my attic that I wanted to fix as a hobby. I bought it in 2004, and one day while I was reading some email, it just turned off. I used that as an excuse to upgrade hah at the time.

The light comes on the mobo so I'm assuming it is getting juice from the power supply, however I get nothing from it. No fans, nothing. I tried to short the pins getting to the power button but no luck. I removed the RAM and still nothing. Possibly a power supply problem? Is the mobo just fried? Maybe the CPU?

Again this is just a hobby, but it woudl be fun to have it back to working order again. Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the forum! I would start your troubleshooting with the PSU. If you can get your hands on a digital multimeter, test the PSU, otherwise, see if you can just simply swap in a known working PSU to see if the computer will power up.

ganklin

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
i recently moved and haven't had much time to tinker with this. i appreciate all the feedback i got thus far.

so i tried three different power supplies one of which was new in box so i don't think that's the issue :)

again, i get a green light on the mobo when juice is flowing, but nothing else. no fans no beeps. any ideas to help a hobbyist here? thanks fellas!

Status
Not open for further replies.