I think I shorted out my CPU...

jigs77

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hi. I posted yesterday about how my build wouldn't boot up. I looked at the troubleshooting guide and I saw that I hadn't plugged in my CPU power. I also had a little bit of thermal compound in the pin holes, but was told not to worry. So, I booted up, and my computer made some weird sounds, so I cut the power. I then tried again, and my computer stopped booting after a few seconds. I then took the CPU out of its socket and it was extremely hot. Now it won't go back into my motherboard, and when i try it on my old motherboard, it will go in one one side and not the other. Have I broken the CPU. It is an AMD 1090T buy the way...

PLEASE ANSWER EVEN IF YOU KNOW LITTLE OF THE TOPIC! YOU KNOW MORE THAN ME!!!

Solution

Jigs - Your CPU MUST have a proper heatsink and fan to function. Like you saw (or felt), it only takes a few seconds for that thing to boil water without a heatsink. It's possible your CPU will be ok (they shut themselves down if they overheat). But using the 4-pin...

jigs77

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

Thanks for all your help, but I looked at all the pins and they seem fine, they are all straight

jigs77

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
A Coolermaster 750W GX, Asus Crosshair V formula motherboard and an AMD 1090T Phenom II CPU. If it helps, the thermal compound that got on the pins was the stuff that came with a Coolermaster Hyper TX3 fan.

And on an interesting side note, the CPU will now fit perfectly in the mobo. It may have shut off to protect itself ...? Your thoughts?

ourtut

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
get a can of air (air duster) and blow the cpu and and socket if that does not work try another mobo and another cpu on same mobo check power supply check ram try all difernt kinds of components. you could of fried the cpu, mobo, sower supply or ram. if you have no way of checking all of it just return it and get new ones

jigs77

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

So I was using the CPU without a cooler, and it lasted only a few seconds. Would it have booted normally with a cooler, or is this abnormal. It was piping hot to the point of which I have a small burn on my hand from it, after only a few seconds, no more than 15. I was using a 4 pin connector in an 8 pin CPU socket. Could this be it? It is now cool and will fit into the socket, but I'm going to take it to a computer shop to try and fix it. Are any of these abnormal?

ourtut

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
well NEVER turn on a computer without a heatsink or some form of cooling!!! the cpu has a max temp (mine is 70c and i have the phenom II x4 840) and when on without the cooler the cpu hit its max, that is a fail safe feature on modern cpus. it will shut off when hitting the max temp. So the cpu is fine if you can still boot. so reapply thermal paste apply heatsink CORRECTLY! and double check connections!

larkspur

Distinguished

Jigs - Your CPU MUST have a proper heatsink and fan to function. Like you saw (or felt), it only takes a few seconds for that thing to boil water without a heatsink. It's possible your CPU will be ok (they shut themselves down if they overheat). But using the 4-pin PSU cable in the 8-pin hole is not recommended. I've heard of people sometimes getting that to work but you should probably just take it to the computer shop at this point :ouch: .

Solution
About the 4 pin CPU power cable in the 8 pin motherboard socket:
your CPU has a 125 watt TDP. This roughly analogous to power consumption. This right on the borderline of a 4 pin cable being adequate.

4 pins will work. But why are you using just half of the "4+4" connector?

And yes. A CPU without a heatsink heats up really quickly.