Your question

Is my cpu bottlenecking my gpu

Last response: in CPUs
September 18, 2011 11:01:10 AM

My spec:
Intel Pentium Dual E2140 1.60 ghz
2 gb ram
9800 gtx+ 512mb

If i upgrade my processor will there be any noticeable difference in the fps i am thinking of getting a quad cpu if i do so will i be able to play bf3 at medium settings at a high res or is it not worth upgrading.

More about : cpu bottlenecking gpu

a b à CPUs
September 18, 2011 11:09:02 AM

That chip is holding your gpu back a little. If you can overclock a little it will help. Battlefield 3 will benefit from a quad core, but how much are you going to spend on it? Another 2 gigs of ram will help also. What resolution are you playing on?
m
l
September 18, 2011 12:29:12 PM

Cygnus x-1 said:
That chip is holding your gpu back a little. If you can overclock a little it will help. Battlefield 3 will benefit from a quad core, but how much are you going to spend on it? Another 2 gigs of ram will help also. What resolution are you playing on?

i wont spend more than 400$ for upgrading it i will be playing it at 720p
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2011 12:42:18 PM

For 400 you can practically buy a completely new system. If you're willing to go through the hassle of selling your current hardware, that will probably give you enough money for a completely new build. I highly recommend going that route over upgrading an old platform.

If not, then maybe a used Q5550(if it's compatible with your board) and 2 gigs of ram.

On a side note, your resolution is relatively low, you might just get away with overclocking your chip, the rest might be enough at that res.
m
l
September 18, 2011 1:26:45 PM

Cygnus x-1 said:
For 400 you can practically buy a completely new system. If you're willing to go through the hassle of selling your current hardware, that will probably give you enough money for a completely new build. I highly recommend going that route over upgrading an old platform.

If not, then maybe a used Q5550(if it's compatible with your board) and 2 gigs of ram.

On a side note, your resolution is relatively low, you might just get away with overclocking your chip, the rest might be enough at that res.

here is no such processor as Q5550 XD
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2011 1:34:43 PM

I meant q9550
m
l
September 18, 2011 1:50:01 PM

Cygnus x-1 said:
I meant q9550

can you suggest a cheap mobo for it
m
l
September 18, 2011 2:35:25 PM

-If the board is not a oem and lets you increase the fsb, voltage a bit, buy a larger cooler that is compatible with sockets 1155, 775, and am3 or am3+ so it can be reused later on with a new i5-2500k or amd am3+ bulldozer cpu.
Get the largest cooler that will fit in your case. Try for a cooler with a 12cm fan or pair of 12cm fans.

-something like the
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
or
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro CPU Cooler

-Drop the memory down to the next lower speed (eg if you have ddr2-800 set it to ddr2-667)

-Put your old cpu cooler fan over the motherboard's chipset.

-Install fans in any empty fan spots on your case.

-increase the chipset voltage a bit.

-increase the cpu voltage, the cpu is outdated and worthless, keep it under 58C and, well it's worth risking it a bit now. (search threads for others who overclocked the same cpu or other core2 775 cpus)

-after overclocking you will have to test it with benchmarking software, something like prime-95.

-That cpu was known to be a good overclocker, if you can get it to over 2ghz it should start to keep up with the 9800gtx.
-The 9800gtx is also outdated so you will need a new video card with a new cpu/board/memory and maybe power supply and hdd.

http://www.techspot.com/review/53-pentium-e2140-e2160/p...
Usually the cheaper models like the E2140 1.60 ghz will overclock to the more expensive model like the Core 2 Duo E4400 (2.00GHz) or even top model like the
Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.40GHz) that are based on the same cpu die.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2011 4:04:34 PM

Killa, that's pretty much my point. If your going to buy a chip and mobo, why not just get something current generation? You can get an i3 chip and mobo to match for around the same as a used q9550. DDR3 is dirt cheap right now, you can get 8gigs for around or under 50 bucks.
m
l
September 18, 2011 4:28:58 PM

Cygnus x-1 said:
Killa, that's pretty much my point. If your going to buy a chip and mobo, why not just get something current generation? You can get an i3 chip and mobo to match for around the same as a used q9550. DDR3 is dirt cheap right now, you can get 8gigs for around or under 50 bucks.

i thought upgrading my cpu would be enough to run bf3 maxed out well looks like my gpu is shitty to so in that case i am thinking of building a brand new rig for under 1000 bucks will this budget be enough for building a pc that can run bf3 maxed out looks like i will be selling my old pc and manage to get some 100 bucks out of it dont know how much my old pc is gonna sell.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2011 5:36:53 PM

You might get away with your old vid card at 720p, it can't hurt to try. If it doesn't cut it, you can always upgrade it later. On ebay or craigslist,if you part it out you might do ok, maybe enough to take the sting out of the upgrade cost. You'll be able to build a capable gaming rig for well under 1000.
m
l
September 18, 2011 6:23:07 PM

Cygnus x-1 said:
You might get away with your old vid card at 720p, it can't hurt to try. If it doesn't cut it, you can always upgrade it later. On ebay or craigslist,if you part it out you might do ok, maybe enough to take the sting out of the upgrade cost. You'll be able to build a capable gaming rig for well under 1000.

i want to run the game at the highest possible settings and res as i am a noob in hardware can someone siggest me some cpu`s and gpu`s under my budget which i can choose from
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2011 6:42:48 PM

Are you capable of overclocking, or do you have a "premade" computer from dell or HP or the like? I honestly believe at your resolution, you have pretty good chance of running games well if you overclock your chip. I know someone that runs Battlefield BC2 on a dual core and 2 gigs of memory at higher res. than you.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2011 7:20:12 PM

dont bother getting a quad core on a socket 775 motherboard

i had a e2160 like you, i bought a e7600, really sped my pc up

cheaper to buy core i3/i5 system

core i3 90
core i5 150

motherbaord 60-100+

8gb ram £40

total 190-290
m
l
September 19, 2011 7:34:03 AM

Cygnus x-1 said:
Are you capable of overclocking, or do you have a "premade" computer from dell or HP or the like? I honestly believe at your resolution, you have pretty good chance of running games well if you overclock your chip. I know someone that runs Battlefield BC2 on a dual core and 2 gigs of memory at higher res. than you.

its a premade computer i bought from hp is it possible to overclock my processor
m
l
September 19, 2011 7:43:06 AM

shanky887614 said:
dont bother getting a quad core on a socket 775 motherboard

i had a e2160 like you, i bought a e7600, really sped my pc up

cheaper to buy core i3/i5 system

core i3 90
core i5 150

motherbaord 60-100+

8gb ram £40

total 190-290

well the spec you suggested are really low as i am ready to spend more than 1000$ it would be helpful if you suggest on my price range i dont find it worth upgrading to i5 or i3 as i wont get a major performance boost so i will be going for a quad cpu help me choose a cpu which is not too expensive or nor too cheap it has to be able to support bf3
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2011 10:33:26 AM

killaman said:
its a premade computer i bought from hp is it possible to overclock my processor

If it's premade, then it isn't possible to overclock, sorry.

Instead, just buy a cheap Core i3 motherboard + i3-2100 and some RAM for yourself.
m
l
September 19, 2011 10:56:14 AM

killaman said:
i thought upgrading my cpu would be enough to run bf3 maxed out well looks like my gpu is shitty to so in that case i am thinking of building a brand new rig for under 1000 bucks will this budget be enough for building a pc that can run bf3 maxed out looks like i will be selling my old pc and manage to get some 100 bucks out of it dont know how much my old pc is gonna sell.

When did a 9800GTX become a bad GPU? Granted it is not the fastest on the market but hardly a bad GPU.
m
l
September 19, 2011 11:00:53 AM

dhvd79a said:
When did a 9800GTX become a bad GPU? Granted it is not the fastest on the market but hardly a bad GPU.

well if you compare it with other gpu than this one seems to be a little weak when i bought it it was the fastest gpu you can afford at that time but tecnology is soo fast now this card is shitty compared to other gpus of today
m
l
a c 119 à CPUs
September 19, 2011 1:39:16 PM

if your gonna spend 400 notes then get an i5 2500k, p67 motherboard and some ddr3 ram... and you should still have change left for a decent cooler. your gfx will be minimum spec for a while yet so you will have plenty of time to save for a new 1. (due to most pc games being console ports)...
then 1s you have a new gfx you will have a rig that will last at least another 3 years.
m
l
September 19, 2011 2:32:13 PM

I think Hexit is right to make a short story even shorter the motherboard is the bottleneck to be exact the northbridge most mainboards(motherboardsa) were only givin four threads on socket lga775 mainboards. This was done because of core 2 duo(two cores on the processsor;four threads on the mainboard to allow hyperthreading. One thread per core creates a bottle neck. There are alot of other reasons also, If you can get a new motherboard processor combo that would be easiest. At the very least would need a new mainboard Something like foxconn black ops. which would be difficult to get a hold of.
m
l
!