Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help on what to get for Gaming PC ($1200)

Last response: in Systems
June 23, 2011 6:26:36 AM

Since Battlefield 3 is coming out, I really want to play it on PC but my PC won't be able to run it. Heck, when I play Bad Company 2, the lowest setting is the only way for me to play smoothly. Also, my PC is starting to fail on me, my computer would just shut down at times when playing games.

I've never built a PC so I don't really know a whole lot about all the different parts and stuff. But I know all the parts needed to make it.

So far, I only have 1 part that I know I'll buy, the MSi gtx 560 Ti (do you think this is good enough for Battlefield 3?)

For the other parts can you suggest the parts for me and having it add up to around $1200? I know this might be a hassle but I don't have anyone to rely on. Thanks a lot for anyone who is willing to help me. :) 

P.S My resolution is 1440x900 just saying that because I read that you need a good CPU to play on a high resolution... right?

More about : gaming 1200

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
June 23, 2011 4:51:20 PM

1440x900 is actually considered a low resolution nowadays and no it's not your CPU that will enable you to play higher resolutions better it's your GPU, more specifically GPU memory. I'm pretty sure a $100 HD 5770 1GB would play any game on any settings at that resolution but since you have a relatively high budget, the GTX 560 or GTX 570 would be good choices. I'll outline some of the things you probably want to aim for in your new build. (Forgive the fact that this is all very common stuff that everyone gets reccommended, but theres a reason for that :)  )

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500k - The best gaming CPU for the price at the moment, i would definitely buy this. $219.99

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 - Decent motherboard which should overclock well and will allow x8/x8 SLI. $124.99 (Any Z68 or P67 motherboard with x8/x8 dual SLI would be good.)

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) - Great RAM for a great price, 8GB will be enough to last you a long time. $72.99 (Any decent branded 2x4GB DDR3 RAM would be good but this is probably the best youre going to find at that price.)

HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Fast hard drive with plenty of storage, you could get a cheaper one here and it would only make a difference in application load times and boot times but this one is good for the price. $64.99

GPU - Galaxy GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB - This is a great card which will easily max anything for the next few years, especially on your resolution. As soon as is starts to show it's age, your motherboard will handle a second one in SLI too.

PSU - XFX Core Edition PRO850W - I have the 750W version of this PSU and can vouch for it's reliablity, also i think 850W should be enough for 2 x GTX 570 and any overclocking you might want to do. This is also good for the price. $119.99

CASE - Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 - This really is personal preference but i reccomend this great case, i have it myself and the cooling is very good. The build quality is also very good. Not sure if it fits some of the monstrous GPU's such as the HD 6990 but it will have no problem with 2 x GTX 570. $119.99

This comes to a total of $1037.93 before shipping and $70 of rebates.

This build will easily max anything you throw at it at the moment, even at a much higher resolution such as 1920x1200. It also has good cooling and upgradeability. When upgrade time comes you have the option to overclock the CPU*, get more RAM, get a second GPU or add an SSD

*Don't worry if youre uncomfortable with overclocking at the moment, i would advise gearing up for it and just learning it when the time comes. (Should be a few years from now.)

With that extra cash, you could either:

- Save it
- Upgrade to a Full Tower Case
- Get a SSD
- Upgrade cooling

Good luck :) 

Related resources
June 23, 2011 9:08:42 PM

Best answer selected by Zero1011.
m
l
June 23, 2011 9:09:45 PM

jmsellars1 said:
1440x900 is actually considered a low resolution nowadays and no it's not your CPU that will enable you to play higher resolutions better it's your GPU, more specifically GPU memory. I'm pretty sure a $100 HD 5770 1GB would play any game on any settings at that resolution but since you have a relatively high budget, the GTX 560 or GTX 570 would be good choices. I'll outline some of the things you probably want to aim for in your new build. (Forgive the fact that this is all very common stuff that everyone gets reccommended, but theres a reason for that :)  )

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500k - The best gaming CPU for the price at the moment, i would definitely buy this. $219.99

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 - Decent motherboard which should overclock well and will allow x8/x8 SLI. $124.99 (Any Z68 or P67 motherboard with x8/x8 dual SLI would be good.)

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) - Great RAM for a great price, 8GB will be enough to last you a long time. $72.99 (Any decent branded 2x4GB DDR3 RAM would be good but this is probably the best youre going to find at that price.)

HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Fast hard drive with plenty of storage, you could get a cheaper one here and it would only make a difference in application load times and boot times but this one is good for the price. $64.99

GPU - Galaxy GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB - This is a great card which will easily max anything for the next few years, especially on your resolution. As soon as is starts to show it's age, your motherboard will handle a second one in SLI too.

PSU - XFX Core Edition PRO850W - I have the 750W version of this PSU and can vouch for it's reliablity, also i think 850W should be enough for 2 x GTX 570 and any overclocking you might want to do. This is also good for the price. $119.99

CASE - Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 - This really is personal preference but i reccomend this great case, i have it myself and the cooling is very good. The build quality is also very good. Not sure if it fits some of the monstrous GPU's such as the HD 6990 but it will have no problem with 2 x GTX 570. $119.99

This comes to a total of $1037.93 before shipping and $70 of rebates.

This build will easily max anything you throw at it at the moment, even at a much higher resolution such as 1920x1200. It also has good cooling and upgradeability. When upgrade time comes you have the option to overclock the CPU*, get more RAM, get a second GPU or add an SSD

*Don't worry if youre uncomfortable with overclocking at the moment, i would advise gearing up for it and just learning it when the time comes. (Should be a few years from now.)

With that extra cash, you could either:

- Save it
- Upgrade to a Full Tower Case
- Get a SSD
- Upgrade cooling

Good luck :) 

Thanks a lot, I'll look into all this :) 
m
l
!