Sign in with
Your question

Compatibility Check on First Build

Last response: in Systems
June 23, 2011 6:45:07 AM

So, I'm about to graduate college with a game programming degree, and am finally ready to build my own computer. I have been building part lists for a while, and have added quite a few parts to my now old gaming machine. I had to take out and reduce some of the parts that I really wanted due to my budget, but I think I have everything on track now. I've been reading these forums for ages, and decided that if I was gonna ask I might as well ask people I trust. Here's the part list. I just want to double check that I'm not going to have any obvious compatibility errors that I overlooked.

• HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

• CPU - i7-950 Bloomfield

• CPU H/S + Fan - Titan TTC-NK35TZ

• MOBO - MSI X58M

• RAM - 2 sticks of Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3

Then I'm going to reuse these parts from my old computer:

• GPU - Evga GeForce 9800 GT

• PSU - Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply

I'm also going to re-use my old CD/DVD drive unless told otherwise. I don't know what the model of the optical drive is, but I don't know why it wouldn't be compatible.

I will also have another 80mm fan from the old computer to use along with the one that comes with that case. With those two 80mm fans, the H/S + Fan combo, and the fan built into my GPU, will I need another fan? Fans have been one of my greatest concern during all this since I don't want heat shortening lifespan, but I also don't want to spend money if I don't need to.
    June 23, 2011 7:28:25 AM

Should I really switch to the i5? I may be doing rendering and video editing on the computer for my own game development. Will the i5 be enough? I'd love to decrease cost, but I don't want to end up under powered. Also, I realize my GPU is a tad old, but I really don't have the cash for a new one, and in a few months I should be able to afford a new one.

Approximate Purchase Date: Today

Budget Range: 600-700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming and Game Development

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, PSU, GPU

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: U.S.

Parts Preferences: I don't really have any. I'm simply looking for the best i can buy within my price range.

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Dual Monitors 1280x1024

Here's the parts I'm currently looking at. If I can cut any corners on price let me know, but I'm mainly
    looking at compatibility.

• Case - LOGISYS Area 51

• HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

• CPU - i7-950 Bloomfield

• CPU H/S + Fan - Titan TTC-NK35TZ

• MOBO - MSI X58M

• RAM - 2 sticks of Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3

Then I'm going to reuse these parts from my old computer:

• GPU - Evga GeForce 9800 GT

Additional Notes:
    I'm also going to re-use my old CD/DVD drive unless told otherwise. I don't know what the model of the optical drive is, but I don't know why it wouldn't be compatible.

I will also have another 80mm fan from the old computer to use along with the one that comes with that case. With those two 80mm fans, the H/S + Fan combo, and the fan built into my GPU, will I need another fan? Fans have been one of my greatest concern during all this since I don't want heat shortening lifespan, but I also don't want to spend money if I don't need to.

Edit: oops forgot to post the case.. *fixes*
    m
    l
    Related resources
    June 23, 2011 7:51:17 AM

I would recommend passing up the i7 950, it's old tech. If you want a powerhouse for rendering, grab the 2600k, but the 2500k should do you just fine; it's faster than the 950 and costs less. If you were to go with the 950, you'd want 6GB or 12GB of RAM to run in triple channel. But with the newer LGA 1155 platform get an 8GB *kit*, not individual DIMMs, and get something that runs @ DDR3 1600. I would recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboards are also cheaper for the LGA 1155 socket, a couple winners:

Subbing these parts out saves you some cash, gives you upgradeability, and gives you a performance boost.
    m
    l
    June 23, 2011 8:30:22 AM

Ok, I've swapped those parts out on my list. I went with the better of the 2 mobos since the cheaper had some horrible reviews. I also used that ram selection. My total is now at $616.27.

So, my next question would be, am I ok on fans? I'll have two 80mm case fans, a fan on my CPU, and the fan on my gfx card. Should I pick up any more, or is this sufficient?

Also, since I just saved about 60 bucks, would this GPU make a huge difference over what I'm already running? GeForce GTX 260
    m
    l
    June 23, 2011 8:46:22 AM

Check the rendering performance here
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7...
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...
    Also you can overclock this CPU easy.... and with say a $30 cooler, it would hit 4-4.2GHz+ easy, thus giving even better performance...
    But seeing that you dont need many parts as of now, you can get the i7 2600K which performs nearly as good as the 980X as you can see from those reviews,...

CPU + Mobo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
    RAM
    CASE - Definitely this one
    m
    l
    June 23, 2011 9:10:40 AM

Well, I've decided to go with the 2500k and the RAM and MOBO that Cuecuemore suggested.

Would this CPU fan be enough to keep the 2500k cool? COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520

I'm probably going to stick with the case I had before just because it's slightly larger and I like the way it looks :kaola: 

With two 80 mm fans, 2 CPU fans, and a GPU fan would this be enough to cool the system?
    m
    l
    June 23, 2011 6:37:11 PM

The N520 cooler doesn't indicate that it is compatible with socket 1155. Go to frostytech.com and look at what they have reviewed, then pick one that is compatible with 1155.

80mm case fans are relatively small. I've built a lot of machines using the Antec 300 case with 3- 120mm fans and 1- 140mm fan. Of course it all depends on the case itself too and how well everything is positioned inside.
    m
    l
    June 23, 2011 6:40:20 PM

According to newegg the N520 is compatible with: Intel Socket LGA1366 / LGA1156 / LGA1155 / LGA775. There are also reviews of people saying it works great for their 2500k sandy bridges. Frostytech seems to find it as a decent h/s fan.

Ok, here's the final part list I have chosen. Unless something I'm doing is very wrong I'll be buying it within the next few hours.

• Case - LOGISYS Area 51

• CPU - i5-2500k Sandy Bridge

• CPU H/S + Fan - COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520

• MOBO - ASRock P67 EXTREME4

• RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

• GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB

And then reusing an old optical drive and this PSU:

m
    l
    June 23, 2011 10:25:09 PM

Looks great to me!
    m
    l
    June 23, 2011 11:33:43 PM

From what I see that case comes with only one 80mm fan which is attached to the side panel. Is also appears in the pictures that it can take two 120mm fans. I would buy a good pair of 120mm fans and use them as intake(front of the case) and one as outtake(rear of case).
    m
    l
    June 24, 2011 4:26:40 AM

Ok well I ordered it a few hours ago, before you guys posted. I go the same H/S + fan that I listed, and after looking at a friends rig I did order 2 more 120mm fans. Hopefully coupled with the 80mm fan included, the 80mm I already have, and the fans on the H/S I'll have plenty of flow.

Thank you everyone who helped and gave advice. You saved me enough money that I was able to upgrade my GPU, which I didn't think I'd be able to do! I really appreciate everything, and will let you know how it all works once it arrives! Now to wait patiently... :bounce:  ... right..
    m
    l
    June 24, 2011 5:59:29 AM

Glad to see you got it all worked out and ordered.

Yes you will have plenty of air flow just be sure you try to balance your exhaust and intake and if you can't just make sure you got more exhaust then intake. That's what I've always heard.

I know how you feel about patiently waiting I just got done waiting a week for the parts I ordered to come in. A motherboard, HSF and an I/O shield I had to wait an extra day for the I/O shields to come in from eBay it almost killed me haha.

Good luck!
    m
    l
    !