Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New GTX 570 crapped out (insufficient PSU?)

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2011 10:44:52 PM

I really want to make this short, and to not scare any advice away with too many questions.
I just bought a 1 month old msi GTX 570 off kijiji.
Plugged it in.
Worked for 1 day.
Then during games my computer would freeze, the game would freeze and become colorful/pixelated then my pc would shut down.
Now, is this because of my PSU? My psu is a cooler master 600w, 2 Rails (18a each, and my card's rated minimum is 36a)
Is it too late to upgrade my psu, or is my card useless? (because i had to take the card out because it wouldn't detect my monitor anymore, though when i plugged my monitor into the motherboard's on-board gpu, which did the same thing until 15 tries later, so i think my cards fine)
Is it too late to upgrade PSU? Or did i permanently damage my card?

More about : gtx 570 crapped insufficient psu

a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2011 11:00:24 PM

coreydmorton said:
I really want to make this short, and to not scare any advice away with too many questions.
I just bought a 1 month old msi GTX 570 off kijiji.
Plugged it in.
Worked for 1 day.
Then i during games my computer would freeze, the game would freeze and become colorful/pixelated then my pc would shut down.
Now, is this because of my PSU? My psu is a cooler master 600w, 2 Rails (18a each, and my card's rated minimum is 36a)
Is it too late to upgrade my psu, or is my card useless? (because i had to take the card out because it wouldn't detect my monitor anymore, though when i plugged my monitor into the motherboard's on-board gpu, which did the same thing until 15 tries later, so i think my cards fine)
Is it too late to upgrade PSU? Or did i permanently damage my card?

That sounds like overheating to me. You could try manually increasing fan speed to see if the problem goes away.
Score
April 9, 2011 11:01:23 PM

Crashman said:
That sounds like overheating to me. You could try manually increasing fan speed to see if the problem goes away.

I forgot to mention that it is not an overheating issue, it only ever reaches 85c max, which is completely safe for the GTX 570.
I also forgot to add my setup, i'm using a gigabyte motherboard (MA78LM-S2H) with a Phenom II 925 quad at stock frequencies. Also the card was over-clocked once, but then i reverted to be safe.
Score
Related resources
April 9, 2011 11:05:32 PM

ah
i had an issue like this with an 8800gs, i would get green, red garble picture while playing crysis after a few mins and then it would crash but i never had a spare psu to test if the psu or card was at fault
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2011 11:06:47 PM

So you knew your card required 36 amps yet you used a psu that doesn't have 36 amps? Not smart.

I don't know if you damaged the card but you definitely need a better psu. My 380w psu has 2 -17 amp rails.
Score
April 9, 2011 11:08:33 PM

geekapproved said:
So you knew your card required 36 amps yet you used a psu that doesn't have 36 amps? Not smart.

I don't know if you damaged the card but you definitely need a better psu. My 380w psu has 2 -17 amp rails.

Sorry, i think i wrote 2 rails each 18a, which is exactly 36a combined haha, sorry for the confusion.
Though, to be fair, i have a suspicion that it was the whole 2 rails thing, and the division of power between them that might have screwed my card up.
Score
April 9, 2011 11:09:02 PM

pkw4 said:
i agree, check the temperature

Temps never went over 85c which is safe for this card.
Score
April 9, 2011 11:16:31 PM

i would try a psu with a higher amp rating of 50+, higher than the minimum 36amps so its not crippling the psu
Score
a c 174 U Graphics card
April 9, 2011 11:27:34 PM

cooler master is a fairly poor brand for psu's (although you could do worse). You should get a quality 600w unit from antec, seasonic, corsair, ocz. But saying that, it may or may not be the cause of the problem, but it highly likely.
Score
April 9, 2011 11:33:26 PM

True, i've heard unless it's the silent pro series of the cooler master, that it's bound to be a little dangerous if i push the wattage..... i hope it's safe to buy another cooler master extreme 700w 52a on a single rail. I can't buy stuff off ebay, i don't have the setup for that. I'd rather buy it from the store down the street which only has cooler masters.
iam2thecrowe said:
cooler master is a fairly poor brand for psu's (although you could do worse). You should get a quality 600w unit from antec, seasonic, corsair, ocz. But saying that, it may or may not be the cause of the problem, but it highly likely.

Score
April 9, 2011 11:35:50 PM

pkw4 said:
i would try a psu with a higher amp rating of 50+, higher than the minimum 36amps so its not crippling the psu

True, i found a PSU down the street, it's another cooler master but it's 700w and ONE RAIL (thanks GOD) with a 52A on the on 12v rail..... it's just i REALLY don't want to spend all that money on another PSU if the card is truly busted haha. I suppose when i posted this thread i was hoping to find someone who encountered this specific problem with the colorful/grainy freezing so they could update me on whether or not it was permanent damage that caused it, or an insufficient PSU. But thinking about it now, only i can figure out if it's truly busted by plugging it in again...it's just i'm scared to really screw my pc up by trying. I don't have money to buy another computer.
Score
April 9, 2011 11:44:05 PM

The GTX 570's aren't the best manufactured cards. They have limited VRM's and they don't handle power too well sometimes and the psu doesnt matter. RMA the card.

If you can, Return it and get a HD 6950, 6970 or a GTX 560 Ti. The limited VRM's/power phases in the gtx 570 cause it to die for no reason sometimes.

I even have a GTX 570 but it seems like they are nothing but trouble.
Score
April 9, 2011 11:46:20 PM

coreydmorton said:
True, i found a PSU down the street, it's another cooler master but it's 700w and ONE RAIL (thanks GOD) with a 52A on the on 12v rail..... it's just i REALLY don't want to spend all that money on another PSU if the card is truly busted haha. I suppose when i posted this thread i was hoping to find someone who encountered this specific problem with the colorful/grainy freezing so they could update me on whether or not it was permanent damage that caused it, or an insufficient PSU. But thinking about it now, only i can figure out if it's truly busted by plugging it in again...it's just i'm scared to really screw my pc up by trying. I don't have money to buy another computer.

some people say dual or even quad rail psu's are better but i find my spare 520w 30amp single rail powers my system better than my 700w with dual 21amp rails, the 12v rail doesnt drop as much on the single rail psu when monitored under load.
its a tricky decision but its 50/50, my bet would be on the psu more likely being the problem
Score
April 9, 2011 11:51:49 PM

shiftstealth said:
The GTX 570's aren't the best manufactured cards. They have limited VRM's and they don't handle power too well sometimes and the psu doesnt matter. RMA the card.

If you can, Return it and get a HD 6950, 6970 or a GTX 560 Ti. The limited VRM's/power phases in the gtx 570 cause it to die for no reason sometimes.

I even have a GTX 570 but it seems like they are nothing but trouble.

Hmm i believe you haha I think it's the card now, because there is a bunch of bubbles under the sticker which weren't there when i bought it. (And i still know it's NOT overheating) i have the warranty so i'll RMA it most likely, and while i'm waiting on that i'll get a new PSU lol
Score
April 9, 2011 11:53:22 PM

pkw4 said:
some people say dual or even quad rail psu's are better but i find my spare 520w 30amp single rail powers my system better than my 700w with dual 21amp rails, the 12v rail doesnt drop as much on the single rail psu when monitored under load.
its a tricky decision but its 50/50, my bet would be on the psu more likely being the problem

I'm not going to guess, i think i'm going to RMA the card which i most likely screwed up, either by the PSU or because the card just croaked, while it's being replaced i'll get a new PSU....simple as that haha i'll solve both possible problems :p  thanks for the quick advice! :) 
Score
April 10, 2011 12:00:41 AM

well all i can say is good luck :D  back when i had a prob with the 88gs i just got a new card and psu and now i have no problems rofl
Score
April 10, 2011 12:09:17 AM

shiftstealth said:
http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/929152-have-you-killed-...

This has been whats been happening to GTX 570's because of their poor power management.

I'm going to find a screwdriver to open the thing up and see if this is what happened. I'll update you when i get it open.
Edit: nvm, there's now way i'm unscrewing 11 screws because i don't have the proper screwdriver haha wish i could get in there to see.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 12:41:02 AM

coreydmorton said:
Sorry, i think i wrote 2 rails each 18a, which is exactly 36a combined haha, sorry for the confusion.
Though, to be fair, i have a suspicion that it was the whole 2 rails thing, and the division of power between them that might have screwed my card up.

It doesn't work like that, you don't add them up.
Score
April 10, 2011 12:45:14 AM

geekapproved said:

Hmm, explain? Are you talking about how the pc uses one rail for the motherboard/cpu and the other rail for the gpu or something? I'm not sure how if there's 2 rails, that the video card only uses one? hehe i KNOW it's the 2 rails causing the issue, so maybe a little explanation? (i'm really not that educated on how the computer chooses to use the 2 rails.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 12:58:26 AM

If you have 2-18a rails that does not mean your psu can supply 36a on the 12v rail.

It is the total wattage provided to the rails divided by the voltage.

Eg: A 500w PSU provides 400w to 2 18amp v12 rails, so its

power = voltage x current

current = power / voltage

400w/12v=33A

So it is not the same as just adding the rails amperage rating together. And as far as I know, a stock clocked 570 needs 38a minimum.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 1:28:40 AM

geekapproved said:

Over the years there have been exceptions to that rule.
The original Seasonic built Antec EA500; 2 x 17 amp rails, 408 watts.
The TT TR2 RX 550; dual 19a rails , 456 watts.

The CM 600 is also an exception, it's dual 18 amp rails can output 36a and then some, though not in spec.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
Fact is, it's a crappy power supply that should never be subjected to a 12v load even remotely close to the rating.
Score
April 10, 2011 1:28:47 AM

geekapproved said:
If you have 2-18a rails that does not mean your psu can supply 36a on the 12v rail.

It is the total wattage provided to the rails divided by the voltage.

Eg: A 500w PSU provides 400w to 2 18amp v12 rails, so its

power = voltage x current

current = power / voltage

400w/12v=33A

So it is not the same as just adding the rails amperage rating together. And as far as I know, a stock clocked 570 needs 38a minimum.

!!!!!! Hey! I actually read something like this before, and you're absolutely right! That means that cooler master lied about it being 600w on the box, when the the low amp won't allow a full 600w usage. Cooler master is false advertising maybe...idk but thanks, i really like that answer and i'm positive this is my issue now. Considering the minimum for the 570 is 550, and it's only getting around 400 (432 to be exact, at least according to your math) would definitely cause this. I think i'm going to select your answer as best. ( i hope this post didn't sound sarcastic :S haha i like your answer)
Score
April 10, 2011 1:29:49 AM

Best answer selected by coreydmorton.
Score
April 10, 2011 1:30:57 AM

delluser1 said:

The CM 600 is also an exception, it's dual 18 amp rails can output 36a and then some, though not in spec.
Fact is, it's a crappy power supply that should never be subjected to a 12v load even remotely close to the rating.

You're absolutely right, though the person above you said something similar so i had to give him the best answer haha. But you're right, and i need a better PSU, i'm getting a 700w with a single rail rating of 52a.
Score
April 10, 2011 1:47:55 AM

Quick question to anyone who reads this, i just plugged in the darn 570 again and this time the cpu fan spins one rotation, and then stops. So does this mean the card is burnt? Or is the PSU no longer going to bother outputting enough for the card? I'd like to get the new PSU, but i really want to know if the card is broken. I wish there was a way to tell.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 2:49:54 PM

delluser1 said:

Yes there are exceptions. Some do actually add up. But not a cheap coolermaster.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 2:50:41 PM

coreydmorton said:
!!!!!! Hey! I actually read something like this before, and you're absolutely right! That means that cooler master lied about it being 600w on the box, when the the low amp won't allow a full 600w usage. Cooler master is false advertising maybe...idk but thanks, i really like that answer and i'm positive this is my issue now. Considering the minimum for the 570 is 550, and it's only getting around 400 (432 to be exact, at least according to your math) would definitely cause this. I think i'm going to select your answer as best. ( i hope this post didn't sound sarcastic :S haha i like your answer)

Yes they lied. See if you can find the model number on the psu, I bet there is a 500 in the model number.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 2:52:02 PM

coreydmorton said:
Quick question to anyone who reads this, i just plugged in the darn 570 again and this time the cpu fan spins one rotation, and then stops. So does this mean the card is burnt? Or is the PSU no longer going to bother outputting enough for the card? I'd like to get the new PSU, but i really want to know if the card is broken. I wish there was a way to tell.

The psu probably failed, do not hook it up again. You need a new psu regardless and if your 570 is dead, you can still RMA it and your still going to need the new psu. So....
Score
April 10, 2011 3:45:48 PM

Actually, after all this it turns out my PSU is fine, and it wasn't the cause of the problem. It was the vbios of the card that needed to be updated to accomadate the stock oc of the card :p  I now this because when i underclock the card (to what an original gtx 570 is at stock) the card works fine, and apparently this is fixed by the KK1 update. So i just need to udpate the vbios, i'm a little nervous though as this will void my warranty.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 7:25:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!