Sign in with
Your question

Need some upgrade advice (3 years since latest build)

Last response: in Systems
June 23, 2011 9:15:20 AM

With two changes of graphics cards, I've gotten a lot out of this system for the past three years and I am proud of it. However, two things are showing their age: The mobo and RAM.

These are my specs:

Intel Q9550 OCed to 3.2Ghz
4GB ADATA PC2 6400 RAM
ATI Radeon 5870 2GB Sapphire
640GB WD Caviar
1000W Bronze Roswill PSU
ASUS P5QE Pro (Green Model)

I can't get PC3 RAM with this mobo obviously. It's a decent mobo, but I think I'd like to upgrade it. I know I should be fine a bit longer with the CPU unless someone can give me a compelling argument to go to an i7 right now. This will also give me an excuse to finally get a good CPU cooler. I'd love recommendations for good mobos that support my CPU. RAM, I usually go with Corsair or Crucial, and as for a CPU custom cooler, I'd like recommendations for that as well. Thanks, guys!
June 23, 2011 9:48:17 AM

^ Why do you want to change that board ? Is it giving any issues ? Overclocking high not possible ?? IMO only a Cooler is needed so that you can overclock that CPU even higher,...
m
l
June 23, 2011 1:06:38 PM

Sticking with the same CPU and just changing motherboard and ram is not going to give any noticeable performance boost. It will be measurable at best.
m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2011 1:26:14 PM

agreed ^ if you truly want to upgrade... then you'll have to do the entire PC's 'core components' (motherboard + CPU + RAM)
m
l
June 24, 2011 4:26:13 AM

I figured as much. I just wanted to double check if going to an i7 at this time was worth it, but I know my CPU is still amazing. I think I'll just get a new CPU cooler since my current one is a freaking dust magnet. Thanks for your help, everyone
m
l
!