Sign in with
Your question

Basic question about CPUs

Last response: in CPUs
September 18, 2011 4:16:13 PM

Hello,

I managed to destroy the CPU pins in my motherboard, and I am afraid that my CPU might be damaged as well. It was when I installed the CPU, I managed to do something wrong that bended the pins.

BUT, I managed to boot a PC up with my CPU (went over to a friends house, and I actually managed to start the computer). I then concluded that the CPU was 100% functional. Do you agree? I had some minor problems starting the computer (It got very hot, because I had not installed any cooler or thermal paste since it was just for a test run at my friends computer. And I had to go through the bios config of a new CPU. It also "lagged" a bit when we typed in the windows password at start up, but when we started it it ran fine (started Core Temp and checked the temparture, about 45 degrees celcius).

I though the reason that it lagged a bit could be that another driver was installed (my friend had the same socket, but not the same processor, or do they have the same?). But again, since I managed to start the computer and start a program and monitor the heat, I guess it's functional?

Do you guys agree?

Thx

More about : basic question cpus

September 18, 2011 4:21:42 PM

yah i do. But be NEVER install a cpu with no heatsink or fan. If you had run that for any substantial length of time, it would have fried. What kind of cpu is it? I don't think that motherboard have pins. The pins are on the cpu and they go into a cpu "socket" (little holes) on the motherboard.
September 18, 2011 4:26:45 PM

It's a Intel i7 2600K. Where you install the CPU, there are tons of small pins sticking up, where you put the CPU. My mail from asus stated that "the CPU pins on the motherboard had damage". And I know never to run without a heatsink/fan, and I only had it active for about 2 min max. Even had a timer on it.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2011 5:14:15 PM

Wow, running an i7 without a heatsink. Some people get 70+ idle temps with the stock heatsink... I'm guessing permanent damage was done.
September 18, 2011 5:27:32 PM

I had a fan on, but not the thermal paste. The temperature was about 45 degrees. Monitored it all the time. It was active for about 1-2 minutes (half the time if you take away the booting time)
September 18, 2011 5:31:40 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Wow, running an i7 without a heatsink. Some people get 70+ idle temps with the stock heatsink... I'm guessing permanent damage was done.

I had a fan on, but not the thermal paste. The temperature was about 45 degrees. Monitored it all the time. It was active for about 1-2 minutes (half the time if you take away the booting time) And it does not look fried, 100% blank (like it was when I got it).
!