Should I update my BIOS? Help please

battlefield161

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Hey guys I have the P8Z77-V PRO motherboard and my current BIOS is 0906 version and there is one new available from the ASUS website should I update my BIOS are there any benefits of updating my bios my computer is running perfectly, and if you say I need to update my bios is there any precutations I should take before doing this I have not OC'd anything. I heard that if some people flash it by USB it bricks there motherboard? And they have black screens

Examples when to flash the BIOS usually are:

1. New CPU was released
2. Memory compatibility issues + new RAM models are released
3. Remember when the new 2+TB HDD have been released? New BIOS was needed.
4. New hardware support added.
5. Or if u can benefit from changes in the change log.

BIOS updates are always risky for various reasons.

battlefield161

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

Why can it be risky? Can it erase my HDD? Or things like that?

If you flashed the wrong BIOS, flashed a damaged BIOS from a bad/incomplete download, lost power, or something else went wrong you could brick the board and it wouldn't start.

I don't consider it dangerous at all, and you could always get a new bios chip from the manufacturer if something happened. but they put out release notes with what's changed and if it doesn't affect you/you have no problems nikkors right, there's no reason to worry about it.

I just did an update a week ago myself.

Of course all the settings from the previous version are erased and I found out that some new features were added and some removed.

As for the trouble, my keyboard was dead when waking up from the sleep. Had to adjust the USB settings in the BIOS and all is fine.

But, why it is set by default BCLK @ 103.0 I don't know.