Sign in with
Your question

Helping Choosing A Motherboard For First Build : ) [AMD]

Last response: in Motherboards
June 9, 2012 3:10:23 PM

I am going to build my first and new system come October or November and I'm sure better motherboards will be out but I don't feel I need them.

I am not a gamer, and I'm not over here editing video or crazy things either BUT I do like a fast zippy responsive computer that can handle anything I throw at it.

I am choosing AMD over Intel for now due to price but also because it seems to me AMD has much more compatibility over Intel as far as a lot of processors working for the same motherboards. Intel has changed their socket too many times in my view and I heard for Haswell in 2013, another motherboard change most likely will happen. I feel with AMD I am future proofing myself a lot because the socket doesn't change and Im sure the next generation AMD processors will be AM3+.

So AMD motherboard.

I have chosen a few out and here are the links. Even I don't really know myself what I NEED per se and WANT but these motherboards seem really good for what I want to do.

Note - I really like the new motherboards with the built in UEFI BIOS technology.

- ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

- ASRock 990FX Extreme3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

- GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

- ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... [this is probably my top pick. Rated very highly several places and a nice price]

If anyone can throw me suggestions, comments, thoughts, whatever. It would REALLY help. If you need any more information FROM ME, feel free to ask ME a question so I can help myself, lol.

THANK YOU!

PS - I was gearing towards going FM1 but after reading a whole slew of new FM2 motherboards needs to be released for the new A10 processor coming out, I think I should hold off on these processors even though I'd love to have one, graphics and processor into one chip until they fine tune it a bit more, even make it 6 core possibly.
a c 1156 V Motherboard
a c 356 À AMD
June 9, 2012 3:23:39 PM

I personally think that the Asrock Extreme3 is the best buy, the price difference to the others can be used against better GPU or SSD as an example.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 3:26:30 PM

There's no reason to get anything but a cheap motherboard. Overclocking isn't a big deal for a general-use PC, so you don't need the extra couple of hundred mhz that a fancy board would probably get you. Just find yourself a cheap AM3+ with all the ports you need.
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 3:33:37 PM

kajabla said:
There's no reason to get anything but a cheap motherboard. Overclocking isn't a big deal for a general-use PC, so you don't need the extra couple of hundred mhz that a fancy board would probably get you. Just find yourself a cheap AM3+ with all the ports you need.

You do hold a point but I am not sure what is considered "general use" these days, lol. I mean sure, I check my e-mail, and surf the net but I also like to listen to music, and like to convert it and such. Also, I WOULD be interested in overclocking since AMD is famous for it and why not, right? lol. because I do plan to get a top processor.

I mean and I always like to be ready for anything, I mean, what IF, IF I wanted to game one day? I probably wont but one game may interest me and I'll pick it up and buy it and I won't be able to play it well. I don't know, just playing a little devil's advocate, lol.

Thank you. : )

m
l
June 9, 2012 3:34:58 PM

rolli59 said:
I personally think that the Asrock Extreme3 is the best buy, the price difference to the others can be used against better GPU or SSD as an example.

Yes, I like that board, although my favorite like I said was the Sabertooth but in my view, I think that sabertooth may go down to the price or near the price of that ASrock Extreme3. I think if the Sabertooth drops another $30 - $40, it makes it a very good buy and I still have a good 4-5 months before I buy parts to my system. Just my thoughts, lol.
m
l
a c 1156 V Motherboard
a c 356 À AMD
June 9, 2012 3:37:24 PM

For the same price I would buy the Sabertooth but I do not think it will go any lower in price.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 5:51:11 PM

You can overclock on any board, just probably a couple of hundred mhz less than you might be able to with a fancy one. General use is anything but gaming and video editing, unless you really need to convert hundreds of music files at a time very quickly and with some regularity.
m
l
June 9, 2012 6:08:08 PM

kajabla said:
You can overclock on any board, just probably a couple of hundred mhz less than you might be able to with a fancy one. General use is anything but gaming and video editing, unless you really need to convert hundreds of music files at a time very quickly and with some regularity.

Thanks for the information. Well good to know I can overclock on any board. I'll never really do video editing but I MAY, MAY do slight gaming in the future. One or two games or something, and I'd like to be ready for that. Know what I mean? lol. Just trying to get bang for my buck and be as future proof as I can. I won't convert hundreds of music files at a time very quickly or with regularity. I'd say a few times a month. Maybe a few hundred files in that course of that month but I don't need them done in 2 seconds, lol.

Any other comments or advice is helpful. Thank you again. : )
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2012 12:05:07 AM

Bang for the buck -> get a $100 mobo. If you want to spend more money, go Intel and get a 2500K.
m
l
June 10, 2012 12:19:25 AM

kajabla said:
Bang for the buck -> get a $100 mobo. If you want to spend more money, go Intel and get a 2500K.

So are you saying theres no reason to pay over $100 for an AMD based board on the AM3+ or FM2 platform?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2012 12:27:08 AM

If you don't need the best possible overclocking capability or some feature found on more expensive boards, yes. There's no inherent "betterness" in flashy boards.
m
l
June 10, 2012 4:54:08 AM

kajabla said:
If you don't need the best possible overclocking capability or some feature found on more expensive boards, yes. There's no inherent "betterness" in flashy boards.

Yeah I dont need crazy things, just a nice new motherboard with good features that lets me do what I need to do. thanks a lot. : )
m
l
!