Helping Choosing A Motherboard For First Build : ) [AMD]

I am going to build my first and new system come October or November and I'm sure better motherboards will be out but I don't feel I need them.

I am not a gamer, and I'm not over here editing video or crazy things either BUT I do like a fast zippy responsive computer that can handle anything I throw at it.

I am choosing AMD over Intel for now due to price but also because it seems to me AMD has much more compatibility over Intel as far as a lot of processors working for the same motherboards. Intel has changed their socket too many times in my view and I heard for Haswell in 2013, another motherboard change most likely will happen. I feel with AMD I am future proofing myself a lot because the socket doesn't change and Im sure the next generation AMD processors will be AM3+.

So AMD motherboard.

I have chosen a few out and here are the links. Even I don't really know myself what I NEED per se and WANT but these motherboards seem really good for what I want to do.

Note - I really like the new motherboards with the built in UEFI BIOS technology.

- ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157267

- ASRock 990FX Extreme3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157281

- GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128508

- ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736 [this is probably my top pick. Rated very highly several places and a nice price]

If anyone can throw me suggestions, comments, thoughts, whatever. It would REALLY help. If you need any more information FROM ME, feel free to ask ME a question so I can help myself, lol.

THANK YOU!

PS - I was gearing towards going FM1 but after reading a whole slew of new FM2 motherboards needs to be released for the new A10 processor coming out, I think I should hold off on these processors even though I'd love to have one, graphics and processor into one chip until they fine tune it a bit more, even make it 6 core possibly.
11 answers Last reply
More about helping choosing motherboard build
  1. I personally think that the Asrock Extreme3 is the best buy, the price difference to the others can be used against better GPU or SSD as an example.
  2. There's no reason to get anything but a cheap motherboard. Overclocking isn't a big deal for a general-use PC, so you don't need the extra couple of hundred mhz that a fancy board would probably get you. Just find yourself a cheap AM3+ with all the ports you need.
  3. kajabla said:
    There's no reason to get anything but a cheap motherboard. Overclocking isn't a big deal for a general-use PC, so you don't need the extra couple of hundred mhz that a fancy board would probably get you. Just find yourself a cheap AM3+ with all the ports you need.

You do hold a point but I am not sure what is considered "general use" these days, lol. I mean sure, I check my e-mail, and surf the net but I also like to listen to music, and like to convert it and such. Also, I WOULD be interested in overclocking since AMD is famous for it and why not, right? lol. because I do plan to get a top processor.

I mean and I always like to be ready for anything, I mean, what IF, IF I wanted to game one day? I probably wont but one game may interest me and I'll pick it up and buy it and I won't be able to play it well. I don't know, just playing a little devil's advocate, lol.

Thank you. : )
  4. rolli59 said:
    I personally think that the Asrock Extreme3 is the best buy, the price difference to the others can be used against better GPU or SSD as an example.

Yes, I like that board, although my favorite like I said was the Sabertooth but in my view, I think that sabertooth may go down to the price or near the price of that ASrock Extreme3. I think if the Sabertooth drops another $30 - $40, it makes it a very good buy and I still have a good 4-5 months before I buy parts to my system. Just my thoughts, lol.
  5. For the same price I would buy the Sabertooth but I do not think it will go any lower in price.
  6. You can overclock on any board, just probably a couple of hundred mhz less than you might be able to with a fancy one. General use is anything but gaming and video editing, unless you really need to convert hundreds of music files at a time very quickly and with some regularity.
  7. kajabla said:
    You can overclock on any board, just probably a couple of hundred mhz less than you might be able to with a fancy one. General use is anything but gaming and video editing, unless you really need to convert hundreds of music files at a time very quickly and with some regularity.

Thanks for the information. Well good to know I can overclock on any board. I'll never really do video editing but I MAY, MAY do slight gaming in the future. One or two games or something, and I'd like to be ready for that. Know what I mean? lol. Just trying to get bang for my buck and be as future proof as I can. I won't convert hundreds of music files at a time very quickly or with regularity. I'd say a few times a month. Maybe a few hundred files in that course of that month but I don't need them done in 2 seconds, lol.

Any other comments or advice is helpful. Thank you again. : )
  8. Bang for the buck -> get a $100 mobo. If you want to spend more money, go Intel and get a 2500K.
  9. kajabla said:
    Bang for the buck -> get a $100 mobo. If you want to spend more money, go Intel and get a 2500K.

So are you saying theres no reason to pay over $100 for an AMD based board on the AM3+ or FM2 platform?
  10. If you don't need the best possible overclocking capability or some feature found on more expensive boards, yes. There's no inherent "betterness" in flashy boards.
  11. kajabla said:
    If you don't need the best possible overclocking capability or some feature found on more expensive boards, yes. There's no inherent "betterness" in flashy boards.

Yeah I dont need crazy things, just a nice new motherboard with good features that lets me do what I need to do. thanks a lot. : )
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards AMD Build Product