Sign in with
Your question

ASROCK p67 Extreme4 Gen3 crashed when updating BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
June 9, 2012 4:00:58 PM

I was updating my BIOS in Windows when I got a BSOD. Now the it will just boot loop with a black screen and no posting to the BIOS. Am I hosed? Do I need to contact ASRock to send it back for a repair? I am pretty pissed, this is a nearly brand new board :( 

More about : asrock p67 extreme4 gen3 crashed updating bios

a c 481 V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 9:57:36 PM

depends on the bios chip and if there a force flash that the mb vendor put in placed in case of a bad windows flash. never flash bios in windows...to easy for a bsod to happen.I alsway use the mb dos feature.some mb do have a bios recovery built into them..some mb now have two bios. i would start by putting the bios flash file on a usb stick and plugging the stick in (fat 32 formated stick). I would also put the flash file on a cd and put it into the cd-rom. I would hold the clear cmos button for a few sec and then watch to see if the mb trys to read the cd or usb stick.
m
l
a c 481 V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 10:07:08 PM

found on your mb web page they do have a bios recovery it putting the flash file on a usb stick and hitting f6 when powering up the pc. if not try hitting f2.
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 10:34:27 PM

If you just bought it, RMA it to the seller.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 10:39:56 PM

I have to agree, never update your BIOS from Windows...only from the BIOS and then only after Loading the Defaults.

Sorry, you're going to need to contact ASRock -- they might have the option to 'user replaceable' the BIOS (EEPROM) chip, otherwise if possible see if they offer 'Cross-Shipping' to expedite an otherwise ~30 day process.

To my knowledge booting from the ASRock DVD or AMIBOOT.ROM FDD or other 'recovery' methods don't work on ASRock MOBOs.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 10:41:07 PM

Asked this earlier and still am curious, why do people feel compelled to mess with their BIOS? If something isnt broke, and soemtimes it is and its a good reason to update a BIOS, but to do it just for chits and giggles is kinda dumb.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 11:26:16 PM

I updated my BIOS and the system is more responsive and a few annoyances are now gone; hybrid sleep (S3+S4). In contrast I left ALL of my offices's (11) P6X58D-E with the shipping BIOS because the PC's are flawless -- the shipping BIOS was the 3rd rendition of the BIOS.

Problem, the newer the MOBO's like the new Z77's are going to have 'BIOS' (UEFI) issues and the first 2-3 BIOS are going to be buggy - period. Therefore, a lot of oddball issues are going to have their roots in the BIOS.

Early Adopters will need to update their BIOS 9/10 times. Matured & popular selling MOBO's 3-4 months post release 9/10 can leave it alone.

Now IF everything is 'perfect' then you're a fool to upgrade a BIOS. My X79 runs 'perfect' now -- so I'm done.

Here's my advice from a longtime ago -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash

Examples 'when to flash':
1. CPU requires newer BIOS version
2. Non-OS Instability
3. Peripherals e.g. 2TB HDD requires new BIOS.
4. Memory compatibility ; where current RAM is causing errors or stability.
m
l
!