Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade or rebuild?

Last response: in Systems
June 23, 2011 2:16:14 PM

Hey all,

Been out of the computing loop for a while now, so wanted to get your opinions on my current computer (spec is in my profile). I'm very aware that I need to upgrade the motherboard and RAM, but was wondering if just those two would be sufficient for moderate gaming? I'm not worried about playing the latest titles at full settings, but would like to be able to run the latest games. I haven't overclocked the Q6600, but haven't got any issues with doing so.

Cheers,

Aran

More about : upgrade rebuild

a c 103 B Homebuilt system
June 23, 2011 2:36:17 PM

Point less upgrading just motherboard and ram for performance. Ram increase will give a boost especially if running 64bit OS. Overclocking the CPU will give you a performance boost as well as upgrading to a newer more powerful GPU.
Maybe though if funds allow an upgrade to a newer platform like LGA1155 would be the ticket.
June 23, 2011 3:11:54 PM

Post your specs and we can give you a better idea of your situation. If you need help finding all your computer components, try using Sandra.

List your specs the way they do elsewhere in the forums, but leave out the urls.
Related resources
June 23, 2011 9:20:31 PM

Processor: Intel Q6600 (running at stock speed of 2.4GHz) - have a Noctua NH-U12F cooler, so could easily overclock
Motherboad: Gigabyte 965P-DS3
RAM: Corsair XMS DDR2 2GB (2x1GB)
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 4870 1GB with Thermalright HR-03 GT cooler (no fan, so wouldn't be comfortable overclocking)
Hard Drive: Seagate 7200.10 250GB
Case: NZXT Hush
Power supply: Corsair 1000HX

I'm aware that upgrading the motherboard and RAM won't give me more performance per se, but 2GB isn't enough for running 64bit OS or 64bit programs. Also, DDR2 is quite out of date, which is why I want to upgrade both the motherboard and RAM at least. But, I'm wondering whether I can make do with my current processor and graphics card, or whether I need to upgrade the whole system.
June 23, 2011 9:35:03 PM

If you have to upgrade both motherboard and ram why not go all the way and do the CPU as well.
June 26, 2011 9:10:05 AM

I'm just trying to keep costs down and was wondering if an overclocked Q6600 would be able to manage with gaming. If not, then I guess I'd be getting towards a completely new build.
June 26, 2011 12:46:19 PM

Q6600 is fine if you can overclock it a bit
June 26, 2011 1:59:59 PM

If you can overclock your Q6600 on current board then it is still a good CPU, additional ram can be bought cheap of ebay if you are willing to take a chance.
The selection of new LGA775 boards is not great and being a dead end path a CPU/mobo/ram upgrade makes more sense, considering new tech such as USB3 and SATA6GB, than just mobo/ram to get DDR3 ram.
June 26, 2011 2:26:37 PM

As I recall, there's plenty of scope for overclocking the Q6600 (especially with an aftermarket cooler). However, seems to be quite difficult to get hold of decent DDR2 RAM when I last looked (due to being outdated by DDR3), unless you've got any recommendations on that front? Otherwise, I'll look at CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade and probably sort some new hard drives (been considering getting two 1TB drives in a RAID 1 setup). If I go down that route, do you reckon the ATI 5870 is ok? Also, is it worth going to an SSD system hard drive? Cheers for the help so far.
June 26, 2011 2:37:56 PM

SSD's are one of the best speed bumps at the moment for OS and frequently run programs. The HD5870 is still a powerful card. Many have upgraded to DDR3 and therefore plentiful selection on ebay a lot cheaper than from retailers http://computers.shop.ebay.com/DDR2-/111425/i.html?_cat...
June 27, 2011 8:01:57 PM

If you're looking to upgrade the CPU, Mobo, Ram, GPU, and HDD, then you're not looking at an upgrade anymore: it's a new computer.

Which may or may not work for you. You could do that and then sell you're old one. You can always just take out the nicer parts from the old one (psu, aftermarket cooler) and replace them with stock or oem parts to save money.
!