I am intending to build a new PC around Early July.
Usage: Web Development & Software Development (mainly). Web Design too. Some recent games I like are Darksiders & Team Fortress 2. I also prefer to watch videos in all its high res glory (so 720p or Blu Ray)
Apps: Ubuntu (main) + Windows 7 Dual Boot. NetBeans, Notepad++, Visual Studio, Virtual Box (Virtual PC for testing mainly). Photoshop. I have always like to learn 3D so I may use Blender or Maya.
Why I choose some of the components & considerations:
- CPU: Many suggested going the i5 2500K route. But that will mean I will have to get a P or Z series MB with costs quite abit more. Also with the P Series MB, I need to get a GPU. Also from my experience, HDD seems to be mostly the bottleneck
- MB: Low EMI & power savings (anything significant tho?). The reviews are quite good overall
- RAM/HDD: I considered between less RAM + SSD but it will increase budget too ... I suppose? Also, I read abt lifespan of SSD's being shorter and all that TRIM etc stuff
- PSU: Power efficiency, modular, price abit less than Corsair HX650W, reviews abit better too (at newegg at least)
- Speakers: Less space
- LCD: I like a big screen so I dont strain my eyes + I can tile 2 windows side by side. But I wonder should I get the 21"? Same resolution, less cost & space. Perhaps its big enough?
More about :developer home 2100 asus h67m pro thoughts
The prices quoted in USD is wrong. For example i3-2100 and that motherboard cost in total around (125+100) : 225!!
To play Bluray flawlessly the integrated graphic is enough.
For games a discrete graphic card will be required. The least would be Radeon 6770 or Nvidia 450 GTS.
I have no idea what card would be sufficient to allow you work with Maaya or Blender. But the least I know is that they require professional graphic card like FireGL or Quattro.
I think you won't be getting from newegg and dont' live in US. These parts should be available from wherever you get them albeit little here and there.
Here's a build assuming you won't be working with Maaya to much.
CPU : $125-i3-2100. If you have extra money get this one i5-2400
All prices listed are as shown at a local computer hardware price list in SGD. Only those I specified in USD are USD. And yes I wont be getting from NewEgg. So some parts you recommended dont appear on my price list too ... maybe it will be available in other shops tho. I usually go this shop, its more trusted & established
ASUS H67 LX, Antec PSUs, GSkill RAM, ASUS Monitor is not there ...
Also I find the 335 case better looking ... The Samsung HDD seems quite highliy recommended here. Also its cheaper than the Seagate. Is the seagate 1 better? Maybe for LCD I get a ViewSonic VX2253mh. Suppose the sound is acceptable, I can do away with Speakers
Seagate is not better but cheaper.Anyway both are reliable. Get Samsung if its available , if not then Seagate
The Monitor is Good Enough. If you are going to the market to personally buy it, rather than ordering online then try to check whether it satisfies your needs or not.
Personally with that buget for monitor I'll be expecting atleast 21" monitor , 1920X1080 resolution, LED Backlit.
Selection of case is of personal taste. Whatever you get ensure its well- ventilated, has some fans, and that all the components can fit comfortably.