Sign in with
Your question

Driver going south or video card showing signs?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2011 6:15:34 AM

Tonight while booting up, after loading windows 7, I noticed the screen flashed black for a moment, then came back, then a second time. I noticed it was doing this with things like opening windows or task manager etc while in aero mode. Would do it if I dragged a window around of certain apps as well. If I went to non aero mode with no FX nothing happened, went back to it and it happened again. Not really sure what to do, I soft reset, and rebooted into windows, problem did not occur.

Was this a driver issue of some sort, or is my vid card starting to flake out on me?

edit: ack, computer specs were supposed to be in sig, silly me.

Card is ati HD 4850
mobo is a asus p7f7 with xeon X3450
8 GB of Kingston ecc 1333
150 GB Raptor HD and a 600 GB Hitachi
BFG 800 Watt psu
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 2:10:57 PM

Quote:
After installing Windows 7......

Did you install your motherboards chipset drivers?

Latest graphics drivers from AMD.com?

All your Windows updates?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 2:53:35 PM

OK lets go through a rather basic check list to rule a few things out or discover problems. First what are your temps and second have you been keeping your card clean? Third what are the voltages on the 12v rail? Are there large changes (like .3-.5volt) during normal use and gaming? Last is the drivers but that was already posted.
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2011 5:26:26 PM

nforce4max said:
OK lets go through a rather basic check list to rule a few things out or discover problems. First what are your temps and second have you been keeping your card clean? Third what are the voltages on the 12v rail? Are there large changes (like .3-.5volt) during normal use and gaming? Last is the drivers but that was already posted.

Temperatures are as low as 105 F, max of 120 ish or 130 ish when gaming.
The 12v rail says in HW monitor, well the 12v + at least is at 12.04, though I have seen its max at 12.10, and in heavy usage at 11.99, but the 11.99 is momentary and rare and I never saw any issues when that happened. There is also a voltage for the video card with seems to have a max of 1.12 and 1.05 but that probably does not mean much.

Chipset drivers are installed, this problem just happened for some reason, driver version is ATI Catalyst driver 11.2.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 6:14:45 PM

OK the volts are ok well a little high but better than being low. Try new and fresh drivers.
m
l
!