Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Corsair PSU will not work in my system, yet works in other pc.

Last response: in Components
September 18, 2011 10:38:09 PM

Hi. This is my first post here so ya :bounce: 

I'm planning to crossfire a 2nd gpu soon, a 6850, so I would need at least a 600w psu...

I currently am running of a 460 Cooler Master PSU, it works great.. except the fact i accidently cut one of the peripheral power cords ( dont ask lol )

The first new power supply I tried was a 700w Coolmax, got it, plugged everything in, didnt work. I trouble shooted for about 2 hours before giving up and thinking it was DOA, i returned it.

Got a OCZ 600w, better quality then a Coolmax at least... Didnt work too??? wtf???
Returned it...

And now im stuck my Corsair 600w Builder series PSU.

None of these power supply's have worked.

Yes everything is plugged in right.

I've tried jump starting the PSU with a paperclip and it works, only the cpu fan does not start up.

I put the corsair psu into my brothers computer and it works just fine.

Any help? its the weekend and im waiting for Corsair's response, but im stumped in this one :heink: 

September 18, 2011 11:29:21 PM

no one? :/ 
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 19, 2011 12:44:36 AM

Obviously it doesn't sound like the PSUs are the issue. Try the checklist below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
Related resources
September 19, 2011 1:07:42 AM

tried that.
Score
September 19, 2011 2:52:14 AM

Quote:
you followed those steps and still got nothing.?
have you tried a different power outlet.?
are you sure you have you wiring correct, PWSwitch and PWReset, so on..?

Yes.

I've tried 4 different outlets, none have worked...

Yes they are all connected correctly, i tried shoring out the 2 pins with a screwdriver with no success also.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 19, 2011 3:07:03 AM

He can try it on any non-electrically conductive surface. It doesn't need to even be in a case.
Score
September 19, 2011 3:27:25 AM

We should probably say some thing like* make sure you read a little before you do this* if however unlikely there is a short in your board or some where else and you put it on a conductive surface while the PSU is running you could 1) destroy allot of hardware 2) die from a electric shock now I know people are gonna say thats very unlikely he will probably ware rubber soled shoes this and that but its better to say some thing now then after cnn finds him naked covered in PC hard ware.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 19, 2011 3:47:12 AM

Was there some part of NON-ELECTRICALLY CONDUCTIVE SURFACE that you didn't understand? ;) 

Obviously anyone who does not understand what electically NON-conductive means, should not be working on PCs as they could get seriously injured or killed. Always think Safety first!
Score
September 19, 2011 5:43:13 AM

What are you guys talking about?

I didnt like run my psu on a carpet LOL

I know the psu works, i tested it, my mobo isnt shot, it works fine with a dif. psu.
Score
September 19, 2011 5:47:24 AM

Now it's time for me to give you as someone else gave me a low down on a different question. To answer you question I would need to have system specs. But the most in depth reason from me would be that 1 to 2 short years ago because of compliant issues powersupplies have had to redesign the way they work. So mainboard that work produced before then have issues with psu's that are newer. One example tho more than likely far from what you are working with is: *X-station from a company called bitspower works great with older psu's does not work with new. At least the first version of this device that was made. So what that tells me is that a issue lie's between psu,mainboard,and unit on a newer motherboard(mainboard). So with this is what I would want to ask you: Are you running a mainboard that is compliant with 1.92 or newer because I know that a corsair psu is!?
*(X-station is a device that allows more then one of the exact type of psu to be used on a single mainboard).
Score
September 19, 2011 6:03:14 AM

beenthere I wasn't making some jab and you and yes you said non conductive but people can do dumb things and even though yous aid what you said you didn't mention that not doing that could result in lose of life i don't see why me making a comment like that would upset you so much if it doesn't need to be said then who cares but if it stops one person from getting hurt then it should be said.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 19, 2011 6:15:41 AM

I didn't take your comment as a jab. You saw the wink, right? ;) 

As I said if somone doesn't understand the term non-electrically conductive they should not be working on PCs or anything electrical. The mobo is low voltage 12v and lower so the real concern is the PSU grid power. 12v isn't going to kill anyone but 120v will get their attention.
Score
October 8, 2011 7:47:13 AM

and this 460 powersupply thread starter! Does it still work with original psu meaning 460.

10 people get on a bus etc.....
how many people are on a bus?
Score
October 18, 2011 3:53:37 AM

Dont know why u guys are telling my about electric surfaces and *** I didnt even bring that up and im not ******* retarted and please go back on topic.

I sold the Corsair PSU, its something to do with mobo, even though im unsure of it my current 6850 serves me well.
Score
October 18, 2011 3:54:24 AM

Best answer selected by Juicy555.
Score
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2012 8:37:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!