Will the Sony PSP have an analog controller?

I've been playing Super Mario 64 DS and the control pad on the DS is
useless. You have to use the Thumb-nub'in (tm) on the strap with the bottom
screen to get decent control at all. I'm certain all true 3D games on the
DS will be this way... analog control is a must.

So will the Sony PSP controller be analog? If not, they are completely
screwed, since there will be no other option like there is on the DS...
9 answers Last reply
More about will sony analog controller

    TB> So will the Sony PSP controller be analog?

    There is an analog stick on it, yes.

    Jammet

    David Mehrmann wrote:

    >> So will the Sony PSP controller be analog?
    >
    > There is an analog stick on it, yes.
    >
    > Jammet

    Excellent! I'll be getting one of those also then. Thanks...

    it's actually a digital with a analog nub on it. (D-pad with a Nub)

    "Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> wrote in message
    > David Mehrmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> So will the Sony PSP controller be analog?
    >>
    >> There is an analog stick on it, yes.
    >>
    >> Jammet
    >

    > Excellent! I'll be getting one of those also then. Thanks...

    Let it be known that on Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:18:55 +0100, David Mehrmann
    <jammet@tigress.com> wrote:

    >TB> So will the Sony PSP controller be analog?
    >
    >There is an analog stick on it, yes.

    Actually, no. While it does more than 8 directions., it does not have
    proportional control (i.e. you can't push it halfway to the right.) While this
    will be good for most action and sports games, it's not good for racing games.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "David Mehrmann" <jammet@tigress.com> wrote in message

    > TB> So will the Sony PSP controller be analog?
    >
    > There is an analog stick on it, yes.
    >
    > Jammet

    What is an analog stick or analog controller? I haven't been a gamer but
    would like to get a portable gaming console. I'd like to make an informed
    choice. Thanks!

    I have another query. What if the DS has a first person shooter game,
    wouldn't it be a bummer if the person can only move in 90 degress turns only
    ie left right forward and backwards? I mean how would the person move
    diagonally? I see the DS's directional pad only has buttons for
    up-down-left-right. Wouldn't a joystick be required? Is this the analog
    stick? Is this function now provided by the touchpad? What about on the
    GBASP?

    That seems to be many questions, I apologize. Sorry if this sounds basic but
    I haven't played any sort of video games for many years but would like to
    get into it now. Thanks again.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Ezran" <narze@tm.net.my> wrote in news:41a54a18$1_1@news.tm.net.my:

    > "David Mehrmann" <jammet@tigress.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> TB> So will the Sony PSP controller be analog?
    >>
    >> There is an analog stick on it, yes.
    >>
    >> Jammet
    >
    > What is an analog stick or analog controller? I haven't been a gamer
    > but would like to get a portable gaming console. I'd like to make an
    > informed choice. Thanks!

    Analog means you can achieve proportional control (i.e. move the stick
    further forward and go faster). Digital Pads (D-Pads) are binary - that
    means you're moving forward or not - there's no proportion control.

    > I have another query. What if the DS has a first person shooter game,
    > wouldn't it be a bummer if the person can only move in 90 degress
    > turns only ie left right forward and backwards?

    The DS has a FPS - Metroid Prime Hunters (Demo) comes with the unit.

    > I mean how would the
    > person move diagonally? I see the DS's directional pad only has
    > buttons for up-down-left-right. Wouldn't a joystick be required? Is
    > this the analog stick? Is this function now provided by the touchpad?
    > What about on the GBASP?

    The DS has better than an analog stick - it uses the touchscreen for
    looking/turning/aiming and the pad for forward/back and sideways
    (strafe) movement. You can move diagonally by pressing forward/back +
    left/right.

    It works a lot like a Mouse/Keyboard in a PC FPS.

    toady.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    C> Actually, no. While it does more than 8 directions., it does not
    C> have proportional control (i.e. you can't push it halfway to the
    C> right.) While this will be good for most action and sports games,
    C> it's not good for racing games.

    From what I've read so far, it's still analog in the sense that you can
    indeed push it a teensy bit and your 'character' onscreen would
    would crawl across the screen. There were several tech specs on the
    Internet. But then again I'm not at all sure about this and I'm just
    carbon copying things I've read. Maybe you've got a link for some
    insights on that nub that helps a little.

    Jammet
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Let it be known that on Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:02:23 +0100, David Mehrmann
    <jammet@tigress.com> wrote:

    >From what I've read so far, it's still analog in the sense that you can
    >indeed push it a teensy bit and your 'character' onscreen would
    >would crawl across the screen. There were several tech specs on the
    >Internet. But then again I'm not at all sure about this and I'm just
    >carbon copying things I've read. Maybe you've got a link for some
    >insights on that nub that helps a little.

    It was in some comments from people who played it at the Tokyo Game Show.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Tom Brown wrote:

    > So will the Sony PSP controller be analog?

    From what I understand, it will have an "analog nub." This is
    something similar to those eraser like objects in the middle of laptop
    keyboards.

Console Gaming PlayStation Controller Games Video Games