Laptop for Basic Video Editing - Need ATI 128 chip or Inte..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 16, 2005 3:23:47 PM

I'm in the market for a new laptop and had a question about graphics
chip/cards. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do some *very simple video
editing on the machine i.e. - import the video via IEEE 1394 (Firewire)
and save to a DVD-R.

I know I want a fast processor, lots of RAM and a fast HD. My question
is about the video chip.

Would I be OK with the Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 900
(standard on some systems) or do I need something more dedicated like
an ATI Radeon 64 or 128MB?

I know I'd want the 64 or 128 Graphics if I wanted to do lots of 3D
applications.....but for simple video editing of I wasn't so sure.

ALl thoughts are appreciated!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 1:51:15 PM

mc wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new laptop and had a question about graphics
> chip/cards. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do some *very simple video
> editing on the machine i.e. - import the video via IEEE 1394 (Firewire)
> and save to a DVD-R.
>
> I know I want a fast processor, lots of RAM and a fast HD. My question
> is about the video chip.
>
> Would I be OK with the Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 900
> (standard on some systems) or do I need something more dedicated like
> an ATI Radeon 64 or 128MB?
>
> I know I'd want the 64 or 128 Graphics if I wanted to do lots of 3D
> applications.....but for simple video editing of I wasn't so sure.
>
> ALl thoughts are appreciated!

I *could* be very wrong, but I think that for your application the
graphics card is irrelevant. As you suggested, the memory (mainly), the
HD and the CPU will take the burden. However, a shared memory chipset
will slow you down since it ties/slows down your main memory. So I would
think that a non-high-end discrete chipset is your best choice.
!