Sign in with
Your question

Why out of nowhere does my network connection drop. Then 45sec later come back o

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 13, 2010 12:23:02 AM

I'm really getting frustrated with this problem. Anyone please help.
This is what I have.
Belkin N Router
Gateway W/ XP Pro Hard Wired Connection
Pavillion W/ Vista Home Prem. Wireless Connection
Lexmarks S605 Wireless Printer. Only Pavillion works w/ printer.
Both Computers have Norton running

While using the internet on both computers. Out of nowhere the connection just drops. This happens on both computers a minute will go by and boom its back on. When it drops and you try to view another page it says page unavailable No network connection. Do you want to connect to a network. If you wait the problem sometimes alomost all the times fixes its self and gets back on line. But for those stubborn times it takes a couple of mins. I usually just go to the connect to a network and pick out my Home network and it gets back online. But sometimes the network isnt there.
Any idea of what can be causing this.
I would have to say it happens at least every 45min. To 1hr 1/2 its so frustrating. I lost a huge win because of this problem. It still stings every time It happens. Thank You for your time.
Ohh not sure if this helps but the Vista and Lexmark S605 no longer comunicates properly. I can print. But I cant use any other options like scanning or anything that I request through my computer other then print.
December 13, 2010 1:08:31 AM

have you tried disabling the firewall on both of the computers?
m
l
December 13, 2010 1:56:30 PM

Can you get a specific model number for your router?

If you can't, the name Belkin alone is enough to make me think that it's the problem. Belkin doesn't make very good... well... anything... and their routers are a prime example of that. Dropped IP addresses are a hallmark of an overwhelmed router.

Brands to go with:
Linksys/Cisco
$100+ DLink
$100+ Netgear

Brands to AVOID:
Belkin
<$100 DLink
<$100 Netgear
Apple
m
l
!