Status
Not open for further replies.

Denniswilha

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I have 2 sticks of 2Gb ddr3 ram = 4gbs Its Corsair Dominator-GT 1600MHz timings 7-7-7-20, and
I have 2 sticks of 4Gb ddr3 ram = 8gbs Its PNY 1300MHz timings are 9-9-9-24.
I'm wanting to know what is the best and fastest to run in my system ? I'm pretty sure the Corsair is faster but don't know if it will out do more ram at slower speed.

My system :
i5 750 OC'd to 3.7GHZ
MSi P55-GD80 motherboard
2 GTX460's in SLi

The corsair runs in the 1400MHz range with OC settings and the PNY runs around 1100MHz range with OC settings, really can't tell a difference, but the Windows experience says the PNY is 7.5 , and the Corsair is 5.5 i want to tun what will perform best in my system. Please give me your advice on what you think or KNOW is best, and please explain , I like to understand what is actually going on.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Solution
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/core-i7-870-1156,review-31748.html

personally i'm pretty relaxed as far as memory goes, just plain old 8gb (4x2gb) crucial ddr3 1333 with no heatspreaders running @ 1450mhz w/ 9-9-9-24 timings, an i7 870 @ 3.5ghz & a pair of gtx260 (abit old on the gpu's i know, but still loads of muscle ;) )
i favour having stability & turbo/speedstep enabled over a max overclock. faster speed & tigher timings will be of benifit to professional programs, but for games... not gonna really notice it (unless it's really awful slow memory :ouch: ) go with what fits the budget & gives you ample overclocking headroom to acchive your cpu oc'ing goals :)

as for WEI.. i wish i could understand that useless piece of crap...

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/core-i7-870-1156,review-31748.html

personally i'm pretty relaxed as far as memory goes, just plain old 8gb (4x2gb) crucial ddr3 1333 with no heatspreaders running @ 1450mhz w/ 9-9-9-24 timings, an i7 870 @ 3.5ghz & a pair of gtx260 (abit old on the gpu's i know, but still loads of muscle ;) )
i favour having stability & turbo/speedstep enabled over a max overclock. faster speed & tigher timings will be of benifit to professional programs, but for games... not gonna really notice it (unless it's really awful slow memory :ouch: ) go with what fits the budget & gives you ample overclocking headroom to acchive your cpu oc'ing goals :)

as for WEI.. i wish i could understand that useless piece of crap... makes no sense most the time. at a guess, the higher rating is just due to having more memory available, rather than relating to the memory's speed.

Solution

Denniswilha

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Thanks very much guys, I like OCing, get better performance out of the i5 that way, stock was just 2.4, but i have tried the memory both ways and cannot see a difference, I have allready bought both. think i might save the 8gigs for the i7 build in the near future. Thanks again for all your advice.

Denniswilha

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

Thanks for the link on memory, it explained alot. I have an old GTX280 with a 3 fan Arctic Cooler in an older system, it is a solid GPU and packs alot of muscle. Thanks again....

Status
Not open for further replies.