$600-700 for a mostly new system

randomhomer

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: The sooner the better

Budget Range: I have 700 to spend, however I'd like to keep it closer to 600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming>Everything else

Parts Not Required: I have all periphs, I just bought a Thermaltake TR2 600W which is still under return policy if it's insufficient, I have a Thermaltake SopranoRS 101 Case, and I also already have a DVD drive.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anything that ships to the US

Country of Origin: US of A

Parts Preferences: No strong brand loyalty here.. just interested in whatever works best for the money.

Overclocking: Most likely not, I've never OC'ed before, if it's easy as pie with no concern for damaging my system then I suppose it's a possibility

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Right now my monitor has a max res of 1600x900, but I might upgrade in the future.

Additional Comments: I'm just looking for advice on the components I've already selected, with possible alternatives (hopefully with a reason). I would like to stay below 700 on this system, but 715 or so wouldn't break the bank

Here's what I've selected so far and why:

Motherboard: I went with ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard Why? I think because it was rated highly on newegg.. I'm not very knowledgeable with mobo's, but I noticed it has usb 3.0 and other people seem to like it.. :??:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Quad Core Processor I went with the 2400 over the 2500 for a couple reasons. The first of which was to save money, and from what I gather the 2500's major advantage is overclocking, which I don't really plan to do. Maybe someone can tell me why it would be worth it to spend the extra money to upgrade to the 2500, otherwise the 2400 seems fine for me.

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked Once again, not very familiar with the in's and out's of graphics cards, it seems like the technology advances so quickly here that I don't care to keep up on it. I asked a buddy of mine for a recommendation and this is what he gave me. Any thoughts? Crossfire/SLI is an option if it's within my budget and will outperform

RAM: I picked the G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Chose this RAM because it's on the recommended builds by usage page on these forums.

Heat sink: I'm rather torn between these two -
COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible
and XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included I7 i5 775 1155 AMD and dual fan push pull compatible

The first one seems a bit better, but I also read a review that it's huge, and that people have had some troubles fitting it in mid-towers.

So that's all I have.. last time I did the math I was pushing 700 for these components. Not terrible, as I would like a system that doesn't require much updating in the near future to stay at the curve of new games being released.

attackllama

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

randomhomer

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
ordering my components tonight, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I decided to go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Any ideas on whether or not the power supply I bought will be sufficient? Check the OP for the link.. too lazy to repost it here :??:

randomhomer

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
lol alright.. I'll go with that cooler then. I also decided to go with the i5-2500k just because. What are the disadvantages of the H67 motherboards compared to the P67?

edit: nevermind i googled it, I'll be sticking to the p67

browsingtheworld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
H67 can't overclock, P67 can. Z68 is best (not much different really).

If you're not going to overclock save some money and get a H67 + i5-2400 and just use the stock cooler. You won't ever notice the difference between stock i5-2400 and i5-2500K 99.9% of the time unless you're just doing benchmarks.

If you don't need SATA3 (nobody does) or USB 3.0 you can go with H61 to save even more money.

The H67 cannot overclock the CPU.

The PSU is not good really. It's probably an HEC-made doorstop actually. See the PSU guide linked in my sig.

Thermaltake sells some decent PSUs, but those are usually not purchased because of price. The cheap ones are almost exclusively junk. Lately a few of the good ones have been competitive though, when caught on sale. This is also true for Cooler Master PSUs.

randomhomer

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Thank you for your suggestions. I'm having somewhat of a dilemma.. The total for the p67 board and the i5-2500k with all the components listed will only run me about 730, which is right at the max of my budget. This leaves room for overclocking in the future since I hopefully will have this system for awhile. On the other hand, saving the extra money is always nice and I don't imagine the i5-2400 being obsolete any time soon, so I suppose it's not really justifiable to spend the extra money when, in reality, it's not really getting me anything

I see why now, no real review samples went out. The Corsair rep says they are in between the CX and TX line, so while they are not great they should be adequate. Corsair tries hard to sell only quality and the GS line is made by CWT, a decent but not great OEM.

Given pricing, I would likely go with the Antec EA650 though.