Sign in with
Your question

ASUS Optimal BIOS setting causing BSOD

Last response: in Motherboards
June 9, 2012 8:04:25 PM

Ok, when I go to me BIOS setting it offers three settings Power Saver, Standard, and ASUS Optimal, if I select ASUS Optimal and run Prim95 I get a BSOD within a couple of minutes of running the program. If I use the standard settings when running the program I don't get a BSOD. When I look at the crash file in a blue screen viewer its says it is caused by driver "hal.dll" and the full address is "hal.dll + 12a3b". Any help at sorting this out would be greatly appreciated.

Specs
CPU: I5-2500K
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO
GPU: GTX 570 (no longer works)
PSU: Corsair TX850M
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx2
Hard drive: Samsung F3 1TB
SSD: Crucial m4 128GB
a c 299 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1097 V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 8:10:19 PM

Looks like the optimal is pushing your ram to hard.
m
l
June 9, 2012 8:37:49 PM

That is definitely a memory problem. Do you have a different name brand you can try?
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 8:50:11 PM

tapko said:
That is definitely a memory problem. Do you have a different name brand you can try?

Not right now, but RAM is pretty cheap I can buy some new ones, any suggestions?
Also cursorily enough, would it be possible for whatever is wrong with my memory not show up on the memtests I ran?
m
l
June 9, 2012 8:54:00 PM

Possibly a memory problem as many have suggested but as you say your video card has stopped working... But First Remove your video card..check the fan and blow out the dust...it is possible your fan on your card has stopped working or is clogged...take it out and reset it. I would put a straw to hold the fan if using high compression air to keep the fan blades from bending or breaking.
Next step would be to try a different Video card...
one question...has your video card stopped working altogether or just when u optimize?
m
l
June 9, 2012 8:58:33 PM

The max Temp for that particular card is 97c...manually turning up the fan speed will not impact performance. That card tends to run in the high 80's so don't be alarmed if it feels hot.

try the video card and see how it works by re re-seating it and cleaning it out or trying another. I am beginning to think it is not the memory.....I would not worry about that for now.....
m
l
June 9, 2012 9:00:44 PM

tapko said:
Possibly a memory problem as many have suggested but as you say your video card has stopped working... But First Remove your video card..check the fan and blow out the dust...it is possible your fan on your card has stopped working or is clogged...take it out and reset it. I would put a straw to hold the fan if using high compression air to keep the fan blades from bending or breaking.
Next step would be to try a different Video card...
one question...has your video card stopped working altogether or just when u optimize?

If I had to guess the video card broke due to negligence on my part, I was starting a game and the computer shut off and I could smell something burning, I unplugged everything to take a look at what happened. When I plugged it back in the fan spins but it doesn't display anything, and I tried all the slots on my MB to see if that could of been the problem but that doesn't appear to be the case.
m
l
June 9, 2012 9:08:08 PM

if you just did optimal BIOS setting and that fried your video card then your card was probably close to death already. That should not have affected your card to that degree...unless you went into the card settings and over clocked it AND the bios...?
But I would not worry...it should not do it again with another card? Did you get that card from another computer or refurb? With the awesome setup you have...just a faulty card ready and looking for an excuse to die...not you..happens every day...probably the fans on the card had stopped working as this is not usually noticeable....

I want to add Good luck...can you post back and let me know how it turned out?
m
l
June 9, 2012 9:14:14 PM

tapko said:
if you just did optimal BIOS setting and that fried your video card then your card was probably close to death already. That should not have affected your card to that degree...unless you went into the card settings and over clocked it AND the bios...?
But I would not worry...it should not do it again with another card? Did you get that card from another computer or refurb? With the awesome setup you have...just a faulty card ready and looking for an excuse to die...not you..happens every day...probably the fans on the card had stopped working as this is not usually noticeable....

I want to add Good luck...can you post back and let me know how it turned out?

Sure, it might take a while to get the replacement parts, but Ill update then. I do have one more concern, would anything I have posted be indicative to a failing Power Supply, when I originally built the PC one of the PCI cables seemed to be faulty but then again it could have just been a fault with the graphics card.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 9:33:45 PM

My, thankfully few, issues with 'hal.dll' weren't RAM related with Window 7. On Windows 7 it's typically an SSD/HDD issue. The Spinpoint F3 I seriously doubt is the root issue, so I'd look at the Crucial M4 SSD as the probable cause -- and yes I get you're running Prime95 and chances are + Blend.

Before anything, do four simple things:
1. Verify that your Crucial M4 has the 000F firmware:
Read - http://edge.crucial.com/firmware/m4/000F/Utility_User_G...
Firmware - http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

IF there's a corruption in Windows then you can go in circles all day and night, and IF the SSD's firmware is causing the corruption then you'll never fix the root problem.

Note: some SSD Firmware updates are destructive, meaning it might require you to re-install the OS. Furhter, IF there is corruption in Windows then my experience is to secure erase (write 0's) to the SSD after updating the firmware and start from scratch.

2. Optimize and Test the RAM. This 'should' always be done prior to installing any OS to make sure there's no corruption during the OS installation.

IF the RAM has an XMP Profile then, example ASUS:
*. Boot into the BIOS and press F5
*. Navigate to AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP ; some kits don't like 'Defaults'
*. F10, Save & Exit = Yes

Create a Bootbale CD/DVD of Memtest86+ using the ISO/zip file - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso and test for 4-Passes.
*. Download the latest copy of Memtest86+ and unzip, double-click the (ISO) file and burn to a CD or DVD
*. Boot and pressing F8 select the 'CD/DVD' or other media with Memtest
*. Allow the test to run

3. Assuming Memtest (no errors) then 'attempt' a Windows repair
*. Boot and pressing F8 select the Window 7 DVD or USB
*. See Startup Repair - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/fe...
*. I assume once you installed the OS you immediately afterwards installed: Chipset, SATA, USB, etc using the 'latest' versions from ASUS.
*. Windows 'Fix It' options; see - http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/
*. I assume in the Device Manager that there are NO missing or unrecognized Devices {? or !} listings. If there are then install ALL of the ASUS Drivers listed for your MOBO and OS again.
*. Intel latest drivers, using Intel Update Utility verify and install any updates; see - http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu ; it's best to use Internet Explorer and not FireFox or Chrome

4. Scan System Files & Sectors, see image below, schedule both options for the Primary Boot Drive then reboot.

---

Now for testing, I highly recommend a much newer application AIDA64 Extreme - http://www.aida64.com/downloads
*. In the Stress tests, select all options including the GPU, RAM, etc.

/Prime95 is not recommend for the SB, SB-E and IB CPU's and in some cases can be damaging. This is according to ASUS and so if you want to ague it -- take it up with them. If you're stuck on Prime95 then use small FFTs and make sure you have the latest updated version (May 15th) - http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
m
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a c 462 V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 10:48:36 PM

I have an asus sabbertooth and the asus overclock tab is not that good of a feature as it trys to set the ram..voltage and cpu speed that it think it will work. if you want to overclock the board i would go over to the rog forum of asus there a large forum of overclocker that tell you the settings to change that over clock your cpu and ram and keep it stable. on your mb have you installed the new bios for new cpu and ram code?? asus just dropped a new bios the other day for usb devices.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 11:37:09 PM

^You are confusing ASUS's AI Suite and it's overclocking (CPU, RAM, etc) with the BIOS 'setting' AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP ; XMP is an Intel version of 'SPD' JEDEC encoded memory timings.

Setting AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP means the RAM will be properly set in accordance to it's Rated: Frequency, CAS Timings, and Proper (tested) Voltages.

IF using BIOS version 3402 (latest) then also note the Intel RST drivers, which may explain the 'hal.dll' issue, also need to be upgraded to 10.8.0.1003. Helps to read the notes; see the 5-step procedure for BIOS 3304 -- pertains to BIOS 3402.
m
l
June 10, 2012 1:08:19 AM

Would clearing both hard drives be able to solve the issue if that is indeed the problem? There is nothing on either drive I am worried about losing, and I feel it would be easier to start from square one.

m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 10, 2012 1:46:24 AM

IF the problems are NOT Kernel-Power 41 (63) Error then it's your OS that's the problem. Look in the Event Manager, expand [+] Critical and take a look.
m
l
June 10, 2012 2:06:25 AM

jaquith said:
IF the problems are NOT Kernel-Power 41 (63) Error then it's your OS that's the problem. Look in the Event Manager, expand [+] Critical and take a look.

Looking at the event viewer it did give me Kernel Power 41 (63)
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 10, 2012 2:56:17 AM

1 out how many other Critical errors? IF there are several it may be a different story.

Q - What BIOS version are you running?
Q - Did you update your BIOS?
Q - If you did update your BIOS then what about the rest of what I posted above?
* biggies:
1. AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP?
2. Did you do the following?
"Update procedure for users needing Intel Smart Response Technology:
(1) Enter OS, and ensure Intel Smart Response Technology has been turned off under Intel Rapid Storage Technology interface.
(2) Install version Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to version 10.8.0.1003.
(3) Reboot the system, and update BIOS to version 3304, then reboot.
(4) Enter the BIOS setup screen, press F5 to load BIOS default, then change the Intel SATA Port to RAID mode.
(5) Boot into OS, and re-enable Intel Smart Response Technology under Intel Rapid Storage Technology."

RAM - make sure it's installed in the Blue DIMM slots.

Most folks ignore 'procedures' and do stuff incorrectly.

Frankly, since your GPU doesn't work now my best guess is you did numerous things wrong by mistake. Therefore, you could spend the next week screwing around or IMO back-up all of your data to the Samsung F3 1TB, unplug it, and start from scratch.

I do not have the patients to 'fix' Windows for even myself.

--
As above:

*. Verify that your Crucial M4 has the 000F firmware ; update if needed
*. Boot into the BIOS and press F5
*. Navigate to AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP, F10 Save & Exit = Yes
*. Run Memtest86+ for 4-Passes ; Pass proceed

Final preparation of re-install:
*. Update BIOS: use ASUS EZ Flash 2, copy the unzipped BIOS v3402 to a FAT32 Flash Drive on one of the Black USB 2.0 ports @ I/O, boot to BIOS, F5 (Defaults), go to Tools/ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility and update the BIOS.
*. Boot into the BIOS and Navigate to AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP, F10 Save & Exit = Yes
*. Set whatever other required BIOS settings needed, for most folks not needed
*. Download ALL of the latest drivers from ASUS - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...
Chipset (Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1019 **), VGA (Intel(R) Graphics Accelerator Driver V8.15.10.2405), LAN (Intel Gigabit Ethernet Driver V16.5.0.0 ), USB (Asmedia USB 3.0), SATA (Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver software V10.6.2.1001, JMicron JMB36X Controller Driver V1.17.58.2, & Marvell SATA 6G AHCI Driver V1.0.0.1045), BlueTooth (ASUS Bluetooth Driver V7.3.0.100)
*. SSD Secure Erase - http://blog.ocztechnology.com/?p=367 ; your SSD may have it's own tools

Install the OS

Install Drivers in this order:

Chipset (Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1019 **)
VGA (Intel(R) Graphics Accelerator Driver V8.15.10.2405)
LAN (Intel Gigabit Ethernet Driver V16.5.0.0 )
USB (Asmedia USB 3.0)
SATA (Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology driver software V10.6.2.1001, JMicron JMB36X Controller Driver V1.17.58.2, & Marvell SATA 6G AHCI Driver V1.0.0.1045)
BlueTooth (ASUS Bluetooth Driver V7.3.0.100)

** Intel Update Utility verify and install any updates - http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu
IF it fails to update the Chipset then @ ASUS use the Chipset (Intel Chipset Inf Update Program V9.2.0.1021)

// Test using AIDA64 Extreme for 24 hours

Good Luck!
m
l
June 10, 2012 3:47:33 AM

All the Critical errors are the same. My BIOS version is "0301" which I think is the default BIOS, and my Overclock tuner is in X.M.P mode, also I double checked and my RAM is in the correct (blue) slots on my motherboard.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 10, 2012 3:45:29 PM

Assuming the OS is 'clean' then isolate hardware. Start by pulling the GTX 580.

Bottom-line, if you have corruption in your OS including the drivers then you can still get 41 (63).

Tracing down funky 41 (63) is a royal PITA. If you pull the GPU and test the RAM (Memtest) then that leaves you: SSD, MOBO, CPU & PSU. More often than not a bad CPU either works or fails with little gray. You can stress test off a Flash Drive to eliminate the SSD, leaving the PSU and MOBO. Try updating the MOBO's BIOS. Often a bad PSU makes the system very unpredictable and either unexplained lockup's or sudden shutdowns and often with 'degrading' behavior (progressively worst).
m
l
!