Sign in with
Your question

I have a question!

Last response: in Components
September 19, 2011 12:02:03 AM

Well i just wanted to know if this will do the job till around Christmas time when i get my 700w psu ..

im Currently running these on a 450w standard psu will it work?

Standard 500 GB Sata HD
Lightscribe DVD Drive..
Front Panel Card Reader
80 mm Case Fan
2 x 120mm Case Fans (Cooling Master Fan has led's the other doesn't)
2x4GB (8GB) Corsair XMS3 Ram
AMD Phenom II x4 965
Zotac GeForce GT 520
Wireless PCI Adapter
Standard Modem Fax Adapter (that comes with all computers)

and thats about it , anyone think this is safe to use for a little while ?

More about : question

September 19, 2011 12:07:59 AM

i'd think it would be safe to run 24/7 as the GT 520 is a low power graphics card. no need to get a new PSU imo.

EDIT: im not too sure that the motherboard supports the Phenom II x4 965, its a 125w TDP CPU and the site you listed says the mobo only support max 95w TDP CPUs.
Related resources
September 19, 2011 12:14:28 AM

Derbixrace said:
i'd think it would be safe to run 24/7 as the GT 520 is a low power graphics card. no need to get a new PSU imo.

I've went here and there and found out some info then i saw this forum so i decided to find out here. but i just wanted to confirm it because i don't wanna be frying up anything.. people say that it might not run stable... :| is that true? and also i've noticed that it gets kinda warm in the the case. Like around 62'c max for CPU and GPU is about 54'c but i dont know if that is highly usual...i have a 2 120 mm fans 1 inputing air from the front of the case and the other extracting from the side of the case...the cpu fan is blowing towards the cpu like its supposed to be, i know some people put it the other way to create a vacuum to suck out the hot air but when i try that it always gives me a ERROR: CPU Fan Failed blah blah blah so i have no choice. people say that you can go into the bios and disable fan check but i don't wanna interfare with bios and mess it up so im just leaving the fan how it is now . but anyways i also have a fan at the back of the case as an exhaust... is this good enough? and is this heat normal?
September 19, 2011 12:16:02 AM

Well i already have the CPU installed :p  its working perfectly fine everything aquired properly and it booted just how it always used to but like 8x faster.
September 19, 2011 12:17:35 AM

well 62c is the max safe temp for the most AMD CPUs and 54c for GPU is fine.
September 19, 2011 12:19:22 AM

well thats good to hear but is the heat normal :$ or is it because the power supply is pretty standard and my computer components consume more causing more heat to be produced from the powersupply into the case. ?
September 19, 2011 12:21:22 AM

i dont think that it has to do with the PSU, im not 100% sure though. maybe the CPU heatsink isnt seated properly?
September 19, 2011 12:27:16 AM

well im getting 61'c with A game running at 1.500 kbs and firefox which is like 100.000+ kbs and explorer and a whole bunch of other apps. is this normal? :p 
September 19, 2011 12:29:24 AM

no its definitely too hot, that temperature should be the max when your CPU is running at 100% which i think it doesnt in that situation. you should try to reseat the CPU heatsink and reapply thermal paste.
September 19, 2011 12:31:56 AM

wait but i have a Game alt tabbed in the background that is 1,594,000 K
Firefox which is 267,578 K
Explorer 25,000 K
and a bunch of other stuff so thats to hot? o.O
September 19, 2011 12:57:14 AM

you should look at CPU utilization, anyway its too hot it might shorten the life of the CPU. i recommend reseating heatsing and reapply thermal paste as i said.
September 19, 2011 12:59:30 AM

iAmlBrowN said:
wait but i have a Game alt tabbed in the background that is 1,594,000 K
Firefox which is 267,578 K
Explorer 25,000 K
and a bunch of other stuff so thats to hot? o.O

If the cpu shows 100% use in windows task manager, then that is max load on the cpu. If it is less load while running 62C temp, then that is too hot. 62C is max safe temp for a phenom II cpu chip according to the manufacturer. You don't want to keep the cpu running at 62C because it will lead to premature wear and failure.

If your case is dust free and has those case fans spinning, then the paste on the cpu is not applied correctly. An improperly installed heatsink fan assembly can also cause this high of a temp.

I had an old generic case that only had a power supply fan and video card fan pulling air out while no fans pushing air in to the case except the cpu fan. It never ran past 51C under load.

Either your software is reading the temp wrong, or your heatsink/paste application is incorrect.
September 19, 2011 1:44:43 AM

loool, oh ok never mind! :p  Wheeeeww. i was reading the temperature when load was at 100% usage while game was open :p  not any ordinary game its like crysis... and my cooling is good now! :)  i get around 30-45 max when idle ...
September 19, 2011 2:38:47 AM

A 125W CPU on a 95W board will fry fry the board after prolonged stress. Definitely don't over clock. The good news is when you run a CPU with regular stress it doesn't use the maximum TDP, hence why it still works, but heavy gaming will destroy that board. It's only rated for 95W so you know it was cheaply built to begin with.
!