Sign in with
Your question

Seeking GPU advice for Surround/Eyefinity Gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b 4 Gaming
April 10, 2011 12:43:36 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: with in 60days

BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: USD $150-250) best bang for the buck under $1200

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming - BF2, Crysis 1/2, Dragon Age 1/2 ect...

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: new system so no GPU yet. I will be using a Corsair 850HX or better

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: currently planning a P67 build using a i5 or i7 K series.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:newegg.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Seattle, Washington, USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Trying to stay with low noise GPU's, recommended card should have a non-reference cooler on them

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes most likely to get good frame rates

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024 X 3 (3840x 1024) currently, but would like to build to game on 1920x1200 x 3 (5760x1200)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to run with at least some AA and AF on (three-display setup)

I have been doing some research and I am leaning toward the nVidia Surround solution 2 or 3 GPU's in SLI, as it is simple (just plug in your 3 DVI monitors) vs the more complex ATI Eyefinity setup require 2 or 3 cards in Xfire to game with good FPS, plus the active (or is it passive?) Display port converter dongle thing.

Some of the research I have seen shows an advantage to having 2GB vs 1, 1.25.,or 1.5 GB of VRAM so I am leaning toward 2GB cards.

I am considering 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti (2GB) in SLI anyone have a better solution?

Is that enough GPU power?

Should I be looking harder at ATI? (if you say yes, please give a hardware solution with the Display port hardware required. anyone know if they are going to produce a 6970 Flex?)

Would 2 x GTX 580/570 (1.5/1.25 GB) be better?

are they going to produce a 570/580 with more RAM?

links to any threads with articles or persons gaming on 3 displays would be appreciated. I love stats and evidence.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
April 10, 2011 2:23:34 PM

At eyefinity resolutions, the AMD HD69XX's shine. Especially in crossfire.

2 6950 2GBs pretty much matches 2 570s, while 3 comes ahead a little. Heres a interesting read: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-3-way...

For eyefinity it's actually not that hard even without the FLeX cards (Though i think Sappahire already released a FLex 6950), the Apple mDP-VGA is known to work fine for $30: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 11, 2011 1:58:39 PM

I guess there are not a lot of Multi-Monitor gamers out there. I was hoping for some advice from people that have this set up (both ATI&nVidia) solutions.
m
l
!