D70 Kit Lens

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 8, 2005 5:05:17 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that the provided lens in the Nikon D70
outfit isn't always sharp?

It isn't that I never get sharp images from it, but it seems that the
scene has to be very bright.

Aside from that, I wish I could do available light pics indoors, but
usually 1/10 or 1/15 is my only option when wide open.

Why an "ED" lens would be this way, I don't know.

I am in love with the results I get with my second hand 80-200 f/2.8 ED
lens. So much contrast and sharp as a tack!

I've placed that lens up on the auction chopping block and since I don't
want to part with $1300 for the next better Nikon, I am wondering what
the group thinks of a lens with which to replace it.

It seems that Nikon is lacking in the lens department if you want a pro
/ semi-pro grade lens yet don't want to sell both kidneys on the black
market.

I'm looking strongly at the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I've played with the
Canon version of this lens and like the results. Any reason to think
that it behaves differently with a Nikon mount attached? (Distance to
plane or something that I don't know?)

If not the Tamron lens, then which? I'd gladly pick up a used AF Nikon
of an old generation. I want a lens with a WIDE aperture (f/1.4 a
dream, f/1.8 super, and f/2.8 tolerable.)

I would delight in your recommendations / words of wisdom.

More about : d70 kit lens

March 8, 2005 5:05:18 AM

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 02:05:17 GMT, Ryan <quakeserver149@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Am I the only one who thinks that the provided lens in the Nikon D70
>outfit isn't always sharp?
>
>It isn't that I never get sharp images from it, but it seems that the
>scene has to be very bright.
>
>Aside from that, I wish I could do available light pics indoors, but
>usually 1/10 or 1/15 is my only option when wide open.
>
>Why an "ED" lens would be this way, I don't know.

An ED lens is not necessarily about speed. It's about correcting the
light path to prevent color fringing. That is independent of speed. If
you are using the 1/10 to 1/15 shutter speed pictures to judge
sharpness, those photo attempts should be tripod mounted. Those
shutter speeds are too slow for critical sharpness judgment.

One of the drawbacks of the 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 lens is it's speed.
Nevertheless a great walking around lens in good light and perhaps you
should keep it for that purpose. It's compact and the AFS performance
is quite good on the D70. Maybe just a dedicated low light lens (e.g.
35mm f2.0) might be useful?

Your post covers a lot of ground, I'm not sure what your point is but
some of the criticisms you ascribe to the lens may be due to pushing
it into service where no lens with similar optical characteristic
would perform well.

Regards,
Roger
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:39:53 AM

Ryan wrote:
> Am I the only one who thinks that the provided lens in the Nikon D70
> outfit isn't always sharp?

Maybe you have a bad sample?

David
March 8, 2005 6:12:14 PM

Ryan <quakeserver149@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Am I the only one who thinks that the provided lens in the Nikon D70
>outfit isn't always sharp?
>
>It isn't that I never get sharp images from it, but it seems that the
>scene has to be very bright.

Are you sure you're not running into DOF issues?

>If not the Tamron lens, then which? I'd gladly pick up a used AF Nikon
>of an old generation. I want a lens with a WIDE aperture (f/1.4 a
>dream, f/1.8 super, and f/2.8 tolerable.)
>
>I would delight in your recommendations / words of wisdom.

For your indoor shots, get a 50/1.8. It's fast and sharp and cheap,
but if you shoot near subjects at 1.8 you'll find the DOF quite shallow.

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

"Ken Tough" <ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ryan <quakeserver149@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Am I the only one who thinks that the provided lens in the Nikon D70
>>outfit isn't always sharp?
>>
>>It isn't that I never get sharp images from it, but it seems that the
>>scene has to be very bright.
>
> Are you sure you're not running into DOF issues?
>

>>If not the Tamron lens, then which? I'd gladly pick up a used AF Nikon
>>of an old generation. I want a lens with a WIDE aperture (f/1.4 a
>>dream, f/1.8 super, and f/2.8 tolerable.)
>>
>>I would delight in your recommendations / words of wisdom.
>
> For your indoor shots, get a 50/1.8. It's fast and sharp and cheap,
> but if you shoot near subjects at 1.8 you'll find the DOF quite shallow.

The 85mm F1.8 is something of a gem as well....quite a few around on eBay at
good prices.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 3:12:55 PM

In article <Zgf1k0BuSaLCFwLi@objectech.co.uk>,
Ken Tough <ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote:

> Ryan <quakeserver149@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Am I the only one who thinks that the provided lens in the Nikon D70
> >outfit isn't always sharp?
> >
> >It isn't that I never get sharp images from it, but it seems that the
> >scene has to be very bright.
>
> Are you sure you're not running into DOF issues?
>

> >If not the Tamron lens, then which? I'd gladly pick up a used AF Nikon
> >of an old generation. I want a lens with a WIDE aperture (f/1.4 a
> >dream, f/1.8 super, and f/2.8 tolerable.)
> >
> >I would delight in your recommendations / words of wisdom.
>
> For your indoor shots, get a 50/1.8. It's fast and sharp and cheap,
> but if you shoot near subjects at 1.8 you'll find the DOF quite shallow.

On a trip to NY I wanted something to capture the Xmas lights display
last year and picked up the 50mm f1.4...a revelation to shoot dusk/night
street scene because I hadn't experience 'fast' lenses before. Nice
portraiture - but wow gotta watch the DOF wide open as you say when
shooting 1.4.
!