Basic GPU question for new PC

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Hi guys,
I'm going to be ordering a new computer next week and need a little perspective on the video card (or lack there of) choice. I'm not going to build my own this time around, so please don't suggest it ;-).

The CPU is an i2500, 4GB RAM. The monitor is an Ultrasharp U2311H 1920X1089. The PSU is 350W (Dell always claims there PSUs are under-rated. My options for the GPU are:

Obviously none, going with the integrated Intel 2000 on the Sandybridge processor.
The next step up is a Radeon 1 GB 6450 for $60.00
Next step up is the NVIDIA 1GB Geforce GT420 for $145 over Integrated
Top rung in what's offered is the 1GB Radeon 6670, for $195.00 over Integrated

My uses for the computer are basic internet, photo editing ala Photoshop Elements, CorelDraw or other vector graphics program, DVD movie watching during lunch, maybe a little video editing and website development. I don't do any gaming, and one of my top priorities is clear fonts, lines and so forth. I do drawings and want as sharpest detail possible (I read a while back that some of the 3D or gaming oriented GPUs were not real great at 2D graphics and clean lines). Good quality/speed for website-imbedded video or Netflix streaming would be nice too.

I know little about video cards, or the real capabilities of the Integrated video on the new Sandybridge processors. Some people say it's fine for what I need and if I change my mind, I can always add one later (especially given that I know Dell tends to overcharge for their upgrades). But these cards are OEM and don't seem to be available for purchase after I get the computer. I'm just a little apprehensive about adding a different aftermarket card being compatible with the PSU. Would like to get this right from the beginning if possible.

Thanks!

Timop

Distinguished
There are plenty of aftermarket PCIe GPUs for you to add in there down the road, the ones from dell are HORRIBLY over priced.

But for you I would see if they can step you up to a 2500K. The HD3000 on the K-series SBs are actually a quite nice IGP, and should handle your usage well. However, if you are an professional and want the absolute best 2D image quality, you might want to consider a workstation card (Nvidia Quadro, AMD Fire3D, Matrox) but I think you'll be fine with the HD3000.

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005

Thanks for the quick reply Timop. I guess the decent video performance on the new Sandybrigbe processors I read a while back was for the K series. Unfortunately, Dell (and maybe all OEMs?) only offer the standard i5 and i7...no K processors :-(.

Timop

Distinguished

Since you're (almost) strictly 2D, the HD2000 wont hurt so much, just in the terms of Quicksync, but that will be better than CPU alone nevertheless.

Which dell model is it specifically? IMO right now just go with the IGP.

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005

It's a Vostro 460. I assume the HD 2000 will be good enough for things like DVD movies or Netflix streaming?

Timop

Distinguished

HD2000 is good for even 1080P decode and Blue-ray.
Though I would save the $110 for the 2400 on that Vostro, you'll barely notice a difference in 200mhz and the retail difference is only $30.

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005

When I looked at processors, it looked like there was a little more difference between the 2300 to 2400 jump than the 2300 to 2400 jump. I guess it's a reflex to not order the slowest processor since I tend to keep computers a while

TRENDING THREADS