PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I have for the most part a working network. It is setup on two ethernet cards with a crossover cable. It was setup using the network setup wizard. I do however have a couple of questions.
1) For ethernet all I need is TCP/IP correct. Currently I have file & print share, QOS, net Bios and IPX/SPX installed after the driver reinstal.
2) Zone alarm is giving me trouble seeing the other computer(WIN ME). It can see into the XP box but not out, so I have turned Zone Alarm off for the moment, and then it is ok. I know that I will need to have the ME ip address but I cant remember how to get it. It doesnt show a network icon at the bottom of the screen. I will eventually need to let ZAlarm know that connection is ok but I am doing this to transfer things in order to upgrade the ME to XP
3) Are my thoughts correct in that File and Printer sharing is only for the ability to use programs from the other computer and not for file transfer and that it should br turned off? I dont need printer sharing.
4) the connection icon on the XP box tells me that I have "limited or no connectivity" When I go to the description box it tells me that it has to do with my IP address. I try to refresh it where it tells me, but It says that it cant. I believe that my address is ok as it connects. It is 169.254.171.234 subnet 255.255.0.0. Both adapters speeds are set to auto

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
1) The standard things to have are:
Client for Microsoft networks
File and printer sharing
Internet protocol TCP/IP
(you can leave QoS too, xp seems to like having it)
2)You can go to the winme box, open up a command prompt, and type in either ipconfig or winipconfig. I can't remember which it is for ME. I know it is winipconfig for 98 and ipconfig for 2k and XP, ME is the crazy one in the middle.
3)You need that installed to do any sort of file sharing, if you don't want to share a printer just don't. Don't uninstall the file and printer sharing client.
4)169.254.171.234 is what xp assigns itself when it cannot find a dhcp server to give it an ip. I assume you are going to do ICS (internet connection sharing) between the 2 computers? When you enable ICS it will give your network adaptor a static IP of 192.168.0.1 so that message will stop appearing. You will want to give your winme box a static ip of 192.168.0.2, it will just make things happier :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>