Flash Drive Doesn't show up in Exporer

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 16, 2005 5:29:28 PM

I just restored the XP pro OS in my Thinkpad R40 from the (onboard HDD)
restore file system, and now I can't get any flash drives to show up in
Explorer, which I use for moving files around. Everything else works
perfectly: both USB ports work for other devices, all three flash drives
(different kinds and sizes) work fine on other machines, and the computer
can access the flash drive from Control PanelAdmin tools/Computer
Management, etc. but it just won't show up in the Explorer window. Device
manager shows it as working properly. I have Adobe Elements 3 installed and
when I plug the drive in, the program fires up and starts scanning any image
files on the flash drive. The external drive icon shows up in the Task Bar.
Everything works fine except Explorer, and even that worked fine before the
OS restore.

I've tried going into Device Mgr and uninstalling the driver, allowing it
reinstall after a reboot, but still no listing in Explorer. When I do this,
I get the expected messages that the drive is installed and working
properly. It appears that the problem lies with Explorer, not anywhere
else. I would re-install Explorer, but I don't know how (I don't see an
Explorer option in Windows Components Wizard).

I'm at my wits end on this. Any ideas on how to fix this?

- Magnusfarce
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 3:01:46 AM

try updating XP.

"Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I just restored the XP pro OS in my Thinkpad R40 from the (onboard HDD)
> restore file system, and now I can't get any flash drives to show up in
> Explorer, which I use for moving files around. Everything else works
> perfectly: both USB ports work for other devices, all three flash drives
> (different kinds and sizes) work fine on other machines, and the computer
> can access the flash drive from Control PanelAdmin tools/Computer
> Management, etc. but it just won't show up in the Explorer window. Device
> manager shows it as working properly. I have Adobe Elements 3 installed
> and
> when I plug the drive in, the program fires up and starts scanning any
> image
> files on the flash drive. The external drive icon shows up in the Task
> Bar.
> Everything works fine except Explorer, and even that worked fine before
> the
> OS restore.
>
> I've tried going into Device Mgr and uninstalling the driver, allowing it
> reinstall after a reboot, but still no listing in Explorer. When I do
> this,
> I get the expected messages that the drive is installed and working
> properly. It appears that the problem lies with Explorer, not anywhere
> else. I would re-install Explorer, but I don't know how (I don't see an
> Explorer option in Windows Components Wizard).
>
> I'm at my wits end on this. Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> - Magnusfarce

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 10:56:36 AM

I did that as part of the OS restore. Not every little update, of course,
but most. Is there a specific update you had in mind?

- Magnusfarce

"Joe Davis" <davisexp@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> try updating XP.
>
> "Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >I just restored the XP pro OS in my Thinkpad R40 from the (onboard HDD)
> > restore file system, and now I can't get any flash drives to show up in
> > Explorer, which I use for moving files around. Everything else works
> > perfectly: both USB ports work for other devices, all three flash drives
> > (different kinds and sizes) work fine on other machines, and the
computer
> > can access the flash drive from Control PanelAdmin tools/Computer
> > Management, etc. but it just won't show up in the Explorer window.
Device
> > manager shows it as working properly. I have Adobe Elements 3 installed
> > and
> > when I plug the drive in, the program fires up and starts scanning any
> > image
> > files on the flash drive. The external drive icon shows up in the Task
> > Bar.
> > Everything works fine except Explorer, and even that worked fine before
> > the
> > OS restore.
> >
> > I've tried going into Device Mgr and uninstalling the driver, allowing
it
> > reinstall after a reboot, but still no listing in Explorer. When I do
> > this,
> > I get the expected messages that the drive is installed and working
> > properly. It appears that the problem lies with Explorer, not anywhere
> > else. I would re-install Explorer, but I don't know how (I don't see an
> > Explorer option in Windows Components Wizard).
> >
> > I'm at my wits end on this. Any ideas on how to fix this?
> >
> > - Magnusfarce

June 17, 2005 12:07:27 PM

I have the same problem when I plug a flashdrive in a Toshiba. I have
to reboot after I plug it in for it to show up in Explorer, unless, of
course it is already plugged in before I boot up.

Larry
!