Oops - ordered 2500 instead of 2500k - what to do?

Engreeks1

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
So I just realized, after installing my CPU that I mistakenly ordered an i5 2500 instead of the 2500K i meant to order.

I'm interested in your thoughts on any way to remedy the situation. Newegg's return policy is replacement only for CPUs. Do you think there's anyway I can weedle my way around that? Anyone with previous experience w/ an issue like this?

Alternatively, is there any way to convert a 2500 to a 2500K?

Thanks in advance!
Eric

Solution
any turbo capable sandy bridge cpu can bin up 4 steps via overclocking, but thats it.
i doubt you will notice a difference from 4.1 to 4.5ghz during every day operation.

tomskent

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
he said he already installed it and thats when he found out it was not the k series.

Id say call them and let them know what is going on. Im sure they wont mind you sending it back and spending a big more for the K series.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
ah i read that wrong.
returning for replacment is easy. just login, click on my account, then click returns(RMA)

here is the cpu return policy.
CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: 30 days
Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's CPU Replacement Only Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same or equivalent item. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA.

The following conditions are not acceptable for return, and will result in the merchandise being returned to you:
Any CPU that is physically damaged
Improper installation of CPU fans and/or improper clocking may cause CPUs to chip. CPUs that are chipped, burnt or have bent/broken pins are considered physically damaged and cannot be returned for refund or replacement. Physical damage includes (but is not limited to) improper handling and any other type of damage sustained by irregular use.

Engreeks1

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try to call them tomorrow. Unfortunately I ordered the cpu back in June and only got around to trying to overclock it (and thus realizing I had the wrong one) tonight. This is the price of procrastination i suppose...

Eric

Engreeks1

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hmm they're playing hardball on email. I'll have to call today.

In the meantime, by i5 2500 let's me raise my multiplier up to 41. I'm a novice at over clocking and don't have a ton of time to put into it, so my guess I wouldn't be able to push the multiplier much past 45.

Assuming that's true, do you think the difference between 41 and 45 is big enough to justify eBaying the 2500 and buying a 2500K? My loss would end up being about $30 I think, as I'm hoping to sell the 2500 for $180 and I got it for $210.

Would 45 be that much of a performance increase for photo and video editing (the primary reason I want to OC)? Hope this question isn't to ambiguous or idiotic and apologies in advance for my ignorance.

Thanks,
Eric

the 2500 was rumored to allow up to 4 speed bin bumps, but I am not sure if this is in lieu of or in addition to standard turbo speed bump.

In any event, regardless of what multiplier (41, 45, etc) your BIOS tells you is selected, it is NOT running at 4.5 GHz....

tomskent

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
any turbo capable sandy bridge cpu can bin up 4 steps via overclocking, but thats it.
i doubt you will notice a difference from 4.1 to 4.5ghz during every day operation.

Solution