Sign in with
Your question

Sabertooth FX990 BIOS Issues

Last response: in Motherboards
June 10, 2012 2:15:42 AM

Hello,

After browsing the forums for some time I have decided to post my question for more clarity. I am currently building a new computer and have run into a wall.

My build consists of the Asus Sabertooth 990FX mobo, AMD FX8150, Older NVIDIA 9800 GSO, Windows 7 64bit, 4x4 corsair vengence RAM, corsair 800watt power supply and a small SATA HD.

Put it all together no problem was even able to install all windows update and bios updates. Ran great for a few weeks. Today I started up and it went to the bios screen and stopped. The LED lights on the mobo said boot failure and now when I try to enter into the bios menu nothing happens.

I'm not sure what to do here. Im not so much concerned with the boot failure as I am with the fact that the intro screen seems frozen saying press DEL now to enter in to the bios menu. No response and I know the connections to my USB keyboard work.

Any advice would be great, I have already tried removing varios RAM configs, clearing CMOS jumpers, removing CMOS battery and rechecking Power supply cables by doing a clean install.

Thanks for any advice and let me know if you need anymore info.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 10, 2012 4:31:47 PM

More often than not what you're describing has a greater tendency to be a bad PSU. One way to discern the PSU is to unplug it for ~5-10 minutes and if the boot progresses a little further then 9/10 it the PSU especially if an immediate boot yields a 'shorter' time.
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2012 1:52:39 AM

Funny you say psu I just replaced it and still nothing...
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 1:17:39 PM

Well IF the Hardware shutdown is irregular that's generally a sign of a bad capacitor, and there's only (3) items with capacitors: PSU, MOBO & GPU.

My HX850 went bad fast in a couple days, and in it's death throws it took out my MOBO and (1) HDD almost immediately -- enough damage where they were toast. By the time it was all done I replaced a PSU, MOBO and in the end (2) HDD's. All from a bad Professional Series Corsair and not a cheapo PSU. Upon close examination the modular plugs were never installed properly, one fell out, which caused a cascading of shorts.

IF unplugging the PSU did nothing then start looking at other stuff...
m
l
June 11, 2012 5:48:34 PM

jaquith said:
Well IF the Hardware shutdown is irregular that's generally a sign of a bad capacitor, and there's only (3) items with capacitors: PSU, MOBO & GPU.

My HX850 went bad fast in a couple days, and in it's death throws it took out my MOBO and (1) HDD almost immediately -- enough damage where they were toast. By the time it was all done I replaced a PSU, MOBO and in the end (2) HDD's. All from a bad Professional Series Corsair and not a cheapo PSU. Upon close examination the modular plugs were never installed properly, one fell out, which caused a cascading of shorts.

IF unplugging the PSU did nothing then start looking at other stuff...

Is there a way to visualy verify something like this?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 6:16:29 PM

Unless there's a gross exploding of a capacitor (often associated with a burn smell) then no not really. The only way to know vs GUESS is to try different and known GOOD parts -- OR RMA EVERYTHING.

I have a shop where I have known good: CPU(s)/cheapest per type, GPU(s), PSU(s) and a few MOBO's/cheapest per type. In my case I didn't have an extra LGA 2011 and $600 SB-E in the shop.

I was hugely taken my surprise when it turned-out my HX850 was the culprit. I popped-in a new MOBO and had the same problem. It took (2) failed posts for me to realize 'HOLLY CRAP' the PSU is bad -- meaning the risk to french frying a 2nd MOBO. Like a dumbass I didn't test the PSU because I've NEVER had a bad Professional Series Corsair PSU -- I test them all now and assume nothing is good. The problem with the PSU was a contact short so I was getting 0V-12V like a telegraph.

The alternative is going to a shop and having them test boot your: CPU, MOBO, and GPU. They can test the PSU with a Digital Voltage Meter or PSU tester.
m
l
!