Intel i5-2500K
8gb Kingston ram
Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC
Intel DP67 BA-B3
Western digital 500gb sata hdd
Corsair TX750 power supply

Hyper 212+ as heatskink
Coolermaster cm 690 ii advanced with 7 120mm fans cooling my components

So I was playing BF3 on high (with some ultra) settings and suddenly my computer crashes. It just turns off completely. So I waited a few seconds and tried to turn it on again. It didn't. My assumption is there was a short circuit and the power supply was protecting itself thus not turning on.

Long story short, I tested and checked every component and found out it was the motherboard. Now here's my question. Where I live you get 30-34 degrees ambient temperature. And Battlefield will certainly heat up my processor, ram and video card. But could it be that my motherboard got overheated to the point of burning? I didnt smell any burning at the time. I took all the precautions and inspected my computer soon after it crashed.

I RMA'd it and they've sent a new one back. But will it happen again?. If yes then I'll buy a new one (not going wiith intel again) but do you guys think it won't and it was just bad luck?

Obviously I will be upgrading to something like this, since im on a budget.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544

Thanks and all help is appreciated.

Solution
It's very unlikely that your motherboard was cooked under normal operating conditions. It is extremely hard to destroy devices unless they are overvolted because the thermal management hardware will kick in long before any damage occurs. Motherboards also don't put out much heat at all, they're usually rated at <10 watts and would have to reach temperatures of over 90 degrees Celsius before physical damage became probable

carlosb

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

I dont know about the power supply. I tested it on a another computer and it worked fine. Also it's never given me any kind of problem before. Also I forgot to say that I only had the motherboard for 6 months.

It's very unlikely that your motherboard was cooked under normal operating conditions. It is extremely hard to destroy devices unless they are overvolted because the thermal management hardware will kick in long before any damage occurs. Motherboards also don't put out much heat at all, they're usually rated at <10 watts and would have to reach temperatures of over 90 degrees Celsius before physical damage became probable

Solution

carlosb

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

Well, I guess I might aswell test my PSU with a multimeter or get a power supply tester.

Status
Not open for further replies.