PC doesn't load past bios

ozyism

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I'm having a big problem here, I tried everything but can't seem to solve the issue.

Specs:
- Motherboard - Rev 2.8 IBM
- CPU - "came with the motherboard", I think pentium 4 - 2GHz?
- Graphics - Comes with Motherboard
- Power supply - Prosource, model ps-300

Problem:
When I turn on the computer, it loads bios, then after 5-6 seconds I hear 2 short beeps, then it goes to a screen with a message, the message shows the hardware configurations, and at the bottom it says Processor bios update not found.

Right at the bottom it says press F1 to enter setup, and press F2 to Resume.

If you press F1 it goes to bios, but when you press F2 the computer restarts and goes through the same process.

I have checked bios, all hardware seems to be detected, including the processor, rams, graphics, even usb stick.

I tried loading windows 7 disk but didn't work.

I tried loading windows from usb but didn't work.

What does that mean? I have no idea what the cause of this problem is.

I was wondering if anyone could lead me to the right direction, thanks in advance.

K

G

well besides wondering where you got a the motherboard and CPU, it sounds like it needs a BIOS update to support the CPU.

can you tell what make/model of motherboard you have? - very important.

ozyism

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

The motherboard is IBM, its model is Rev 2.8.

The problem with a BIOS update is the fact that nothing loads except BIOS. Although a USB is detected, it doesn't really load the contents of the USB, even if I make the USB bootable. I tried loading Windows 7 CD but that didn't work either, I expected Windows 7 CD to at least load?

G

i think you are confusing updating the bios with loading an operating system.

and IBM Rev 2.8 is not enough information for find the updated bios.

ozyism

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

I just don't understand how I can update the bios if neither CD/DVD and USB is usable? Give me a hint of how I could update the bios without USB or CD/DVD.

That being said, IBM Rev 2.8 is the motherboard, it is old maybe that's why you can't find the information. That being said, I already have the bios updates which I downloaded from IBM website, the problem is, I can't install them in the computer with the problem.

Lastly, why would the bios need updating? The processor hasn't changed. The only hardware that has changed is the RAM.

G

well its telling you it needs to be updated:
and at the bottom it says Processor bios update not found.
did you just buy this?
if so, who you got it from put the CPU on the motherboard assumed it was fine without testing it.
most older boards won't look for a bios update on a USB but on a floppy drive.

ozyism

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

No I did not just buy this, it was my old computer. I just wanted to use it again so I brought out of the closet and added new rams to speed it up a little bit.

In bios you can check the hardware, I checked CPU - it says Pentium 4 - 2GHz. It also detects ram, graphic card, HDD..

well its telling you it needs to be updated:

You're right, it does say so, but I'm just confused because I'm unable to load CD, or USB in order to update it. What is the purpose of giving such a message if there's no way of updating the bios?

Do you have any ideas of how I could update the bios?

G

the ONLY thing i can think of is clear the CMOS by unplugging the computer and removing the battery, the silver disk one, for a few minutes. then replace it and plug it back in and reboot.

you may need to put the updated BIOS on a floppy drive. some older board do not update from a usb or CD.

ozyism

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

I will try those suggestions now and then let you know if either one worked. Thanks for you patience by the way ^^

ozyism

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I cleared the CMOS following your instructions, then I started the computer and I received the same 2 beeps again and then I receive this message, I'll post the whole message because some others might know the exact cause of the problem through the message:

Phoenix FirstBios(tm) Desktop Pro Version 2.0 for IBM ThinkCentre.
Cioyright 1985-2004 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved

(C) COPYRIGHT IBM CORPORATION 1984-2004 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
ERROR
0271: Check date and time settings
ERROR
0162: Configuration ERROR - DEFAULT configuration used
ERROR
0167: No Processor BIOS Update Found
ERROR
0662: Configuration Change Has Occurred
ERROR
0162: Configuration ERROR - Default configuration used
ERROR
0162: Configuration Error - Default Configuration used

Press <F1> to setup, <F2> to Resume
*Error Boot Sequence will be taken if no selection is made.

Now I'll Press F2 and write what happens:

There's nothing on the screen after this, the TV VGA keeps flashing in the left corner of the screen and that's it (note the computer is connected to my TV. I have waited 5 minutes now, still nothing, keeps flashing. Now I'll restart the computer and change some settings in bios then write the result.

Restarting:

I receive same two beeps, but after restarting some things have passed:

1014< Extended RAM Passed
512 Cache SRAM Passed
System Bios shadowed
Video Bios shadowed
ERROR
0167: No Processor BIOS Update Found
ERROR
0662: Configuration Change Has Occurred
ERROR
0162: Configuration ERROR - Default configuration used
ERROR
0162: Configuration Error - Default Configuration used

Press <F1> to setup, <F2> to Resume
*Error Boot Sequence will be taken if no selection is made.

Now I'll go to bios by pressing F1 and make some changes, here's what I change:

Date and Time
Power On Self Test: changed it from quick to enhanced
Plug and Play Operating System: changed it from [NO] to [YES]

Here is the System Summary from Bios:

CPU Type - Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
CPU Speed - 2.00 GHz
CPU Bus Speed 400 GHz
System Memory - 1024 MB
Memory Speed - 266 MHz
Memory Channels - Single
Active Video - Intel (r) 8656 Graphics Chip
Audio Support - Enabled
Fan 1 - Operating
Fan 2 - Not Operating

- Save and exist bios

Same two beeps and I have this message now:
no processor bios update
configuration change has occurred
pointing device error

Those three are the only errors left.

Now only two error, the same no processor bios update error and configuration change has occurred.

Any advise.

I want to use floppy to update processor but I have all laptops lol.. I will see if my work computer has floppy, if so, I'll put the update in the floppy and try to load it, hopefully it loads and then ill let you know.

Thanks for your patience.

CHAV1485

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

HI OZYISM

DID YOU COME RIGHT WITH WITH SOLVING THE PROBLEM IF YOU DID PLEASE INBOX ME ROC.CHAV@GMAIL.COM

THANX