RAM Clearance / Cooler Recommendation

Hey guys,

Building my first computer, and I am having trouble picking a CPU cooler for two reasons:

1). Will it be up to the job
2.) Will it clear my RAM

~

Here is the proposed specs:

Mobo: Asus M4A88TD-M-USB3.0 880G AM3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE
RAM: 16GB (4x8GB) G.Skills Sniper 1600MHz DDR3

~

I have been looking at LOTS of coolers and everytime I get set on one, something persuades me not to pick it. I plan on OCing the CPU on occasion but not always.

So far I have considered:

Coolermaster Hyper 212
" " V8
Prelimantech Megahalems
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B
Noctua NH-D14

~

I want to spend no more than $100 and the cheapest would be preferable wilst retaining the ability to clear the RAM, cool the CPU and as an added extra (if possible... quiet).

Thanks, Ben.
10 answers Last reply
More about clearance cooler recommendation
  1. I think it would depend on how aggressive you plan on overclocking.

For most purposes, a Coolermaster Hyper 212 is sufficient. Don't underestimate its performance because of its low price, because it's quite capable.

The Noctua NH-D14 should be able to let you run your 1100T at 4.0GHz daily at 65C idle, as stated by a poster at Overclockers.com forum. If your OC plans are to go above 4.0GHz, then I'd suggest you spare no dime and get the Noctua.
  2. Thanks for the reply,

4GHz was the max I was ever planning on OCing it, the Noctua is my preferred choice out of all of them, and I can get it at a good price, however I need some confermation it isnt going to clash with the RAM, it would be a shame to buy it and have that happen.

Any ideas?
  3. Digging around, I found a site that lists RAM compatibility with Noctua NH-D14, and apparently G.Skill Sniper series are indeed compatible.

You can check out the list here.
  4. Good find,

Looks like the Noctua is the go, thanks mate.
  5. No problem. Hope your build goes smooth!
  6. I have a D14 and I was iffy about spending so much on a cooler but I'm very, very happy with it. 4.8ghz stable 24/7 on my 2500k.
  7. you could try an h70 or similar closed liquid system... then you will have no clearance issues
  8. I dont really want to try liquid cooling for my first build as I am a bit paranoid something will go wrong, build is on hold anyway, car's clutch / pressure plate have failed so I am expecting a bad repair bill :(
  9. it isnt as daunting as you may think the all in 1 systems are no harder to fit than a normal hsf. and there are no user serviceable parts. it really is worth a look if your gonna be spending 50-100 on a cooler.

sorry to hear about the car. good luck fixing it.
  10. Buy the Scythe Ninja 3 it's like 90% perf of the Noctua for 50% price.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooling RAM CPUs Components