skg_21

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Is any body can tell me wheather it is mandetory to fix RAM sticks from QVL only?
In my ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO mb I have fixed 2 x 2GB Zion DDR 3 1333 RAM.
Since last few months my PC hang/crashes frequently.
While removing one of the sticks it is working.On refixing 2nd one again is it crashing.
Can any body tell me the probable reason of this failure & how to aviod this.
Processor:AMD phenomII,OS:Win 7 64 bit,Music hobbyist.
Regards,

I have never used the QVL and I have newer had problems. It looks like you just got a bad stick of low grade ram. Have you swapped the working stick with the second stick and tried it alone?
Ram does fail and is the most likely suspect for crashes.

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
I would trust QVL products only if the motherboard company bought them on the open market, to prevent submissions of specially selected superior products, and if the memory companies could prove that customers are receive the exact same products as those qualified. But most manufacturers cannot guarantee the latter since they often switch to different chips or buy generics without fully specified characteristics, meaning the information written to the SPD may not be quite correct.

travalon

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Download memtest86+ iso or this linux iso
http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=18

(choose Mate 32 0r 64 bit cd or dvd) burn to a cd or dvd and boot from disk. memtest will start the test. Linux will give you options. Choose memtest and hit enter.
1. let it run for a few hours unless you get errors (usually in RED) try each stick separately in the same slot.
2. if they both work try 1 stick in the next slot and so on until you run out of slots.
3.If all sticks fail in the first slot try the next slot 1 stick at a time and so on.
If you have another computer to test the Ram in It helps a lot.

Google how to test ram using memtest86+

Enjoy your ALWAYS FREE linux distro. Just let it boot to default and have fun