Replacing a motherboard, what to expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milgauss

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hey there guys , Im using a Dell XPS 8300 desktop computer. Im planning on replacing the motherboard. Is there anything i need to take note off? I know that i will have to make a boot disk and reinstall windows 7, But im afraid that i might lose all my data.
So i have a series of questions.

Im using a total of 4 tb, seagate barracuda 1gb, wd black 1gb, and the wd caviar green 2tb(500gb,500gb 1tb partition)
Windows 7 is located in my seagate 1tb hard drive.
If i back up the 1tb seagate into my caviar green, will it also be affected when i replace my motherboard and ultimately reinstall windows?

Also if anyone has any guides or tips , please post below. i need all the help i can get.

Im buying the asus p8z77-v-lk motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837&Tpk=asus%20p8z77-v-lk

The motherboard on the Dell xps is the dell 0Y2MRG motherboard.

Solution
I see several issues:

1) Is there a reason you need to change motherboards?

2) No doubt the windows that came with your dell is an OEM version that is tied to your current motherboard.
According to the windows user agreement, it is not retail, and cannot be transferred to another PC(PC is defined by the motherboard). If the motherboard has failed, MS may let you reactivate if you assure them that the copy of the os is being used on only one PC.

3) As to how to do it:
a. Protect your data. Use windows easy transfer to export your settings and files to some location.
b. Plan A..
You may be fortunate enough to have to do nothing else but boot using your old os hard drive and updating the chipset drivers using the cd that comes...

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
You can back up everything to an additional hard drive you have and to play it safe don't install it until after you have your system up and running as long as that drive is not set up on raid everything should be fine and all your data will still be there.

bravegag

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Do you mind to mention why to make such move? I have had a Dell Precision 670 for 10 years, yes ten years! and never had any issues except of course their limited slots for memory and PCI-E but I just came to the realization how stable that system was.

I now tried with the top of the line Motherboard from ASUS and it was a disaster, a plain waste of time.

I see several issues:

1) Is there a reason you need to change motherboards?

2) No doubt the windows that came with your dell is an OEM version that is tied to your current motherboard.
According to the windows user agreement, it is not retail, and cannot be transferred to another PC(PC is defined by the motherboard). If the motherboard has failed, MS may let you reactivate if you assure them that the copy of the os is being used on only one PC.

3) As to how to do it:
a. Protect your data. Use windows easy transfer to export your settings and files to some location.
b. Plan A..
You may be fortunate enough to have to do nothing else but boot using your old os hard drive and updating the chipset drivers using the cd that comes with your new mobo.
Plan B...
Borrow a windows 7 dvd and attempt to do a repair install.
Plan C... Using your boot disc or any windows dvd, do a clean install. When done, use windows easy transfer to import your files and settings. Apps will have to be reinstalled.
Regardless, you will have to re-activate. Expect to have to talk to a MS rep and convince them you are not a pirate.

Solution

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Oh, it's not that difficult to convince them. I've done it.

Milgauss

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies. the reason why im replacing my motherboard is that i have slowly been upgrading the computer, and the specs in the computer are pretty beefy compared to what it was about a year ago. Its been emitting alot of heat, since the computer doesnt not have alot of mesh or good airflow whatsoever. So im planning on buying a new case, and the motherboard that comes with the dell is pretty bad, so im thinking well going crossfire in the future wouldnt be too bad either, since im running a single gpu 6870, and im pretty sure my power supply is just at the borderline of being decent to run a 6870. ( my psu is only 460watts)

Pc specs are, i7-2600k, 16gb kingston ram, msi 6870, 1tb seagate baraccuda, 1tb wd black, 2tb wd green. 460 watt psu.

If you have bad airflow, replace the case, not the motherboard.

So long as the motherboard supports your cpu chip, there will be virtually no difference in performance.

If your psu is borderline, replace it, not the motherboard.
AMD says it wants a 500w psu, but they tend to be conservative to account for cheap psu's that do not deliver advertised power.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6850/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overview.aspx#3
A 650w psu will run any current modern graphics card out there, including a GTX690.
An older tech card like the 6990 wants 750w, and sli will need 750w or more.

If you want more graphics power, look at a GTX670. It will game on a single monitor very well.
You will save on the cost of a new motherboard, on the psu cost, and you will avoid any microstuttering issues.

Only if you will be trying triple monitor gaming, or professional competition for your livleyhood would sli be appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.