Do i have enough Watts?

Evenetzky

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I think my PC is using too much wattage with my new GPU: the Gainward GTX570 Golden sample 1280MB Phys-X.

I plug it in and everything works fine, but then i start playing games on high settings. I.E. Mw2 and SC2. When i do that the screen goes black after a random amount of time and the screen says "no video input detected" and the sound jams itself. Other times the screen just goes black for about 3 seconds and then it returns. This happens on and off and its really annoying.

I dont think its a driver issue, because i have re-installed them and no luck. So my question is: is my PSU too weak to handle my upgraded GPU?

I am currently using the Chieftec 650W model no: cft-650-14cs with these specs and everything works fine:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 45nm Technology

RAM
6,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA790X-UD3P (Socket M2)

Hard Drive
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-65TMA0 ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P ATA Device

GPU
Sapphire Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5 Vapor-X Technology

But when i use my GTX 570 it doesnt work properly. Should i get a new PSU? in that case how many watts do i need?
Or could it be something wrong with the card itself?
Any help appreciated =)

Evenetzky

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I tried that, it said i used 608 Watts with GTX570. Does that mean i need to upgrade my PSU? Because it is kind of old, and i have a lot of LEDs that might suck up some power.

slcmike

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Well your current PSU should be ok wattage wise but there is a chance its going bad. Do you have another gpu you can test this with or on-board video? If you fear its the new gpu and have no other means to test it, rma it and go from there.

Evenetzky

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I think my PSU might be going bad. So im going to borrow a PSU from a friend and test it from there. if that dont work, ima have to rma it.

650 watts is Plenty
Ref quote
Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 181W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 369W
Difference (GPU load) = 188W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 25W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 213 Watts

The question may be the "quality" of your PSU. Some low end PSU only allow full specs when placed in a refidgerator LOL. They only put out about 60% of rated power when used in NORMAL conditions. A Quality 550 ±50 W PSU will do you.
Down load and install HWMonitor, or use your mb utility if it allows for monitoring the +5 and +12 V rails.
To check PSU:
Look at the +12 and +5 V at idle, then at load (For load I use furmark in a window). +5 min voltage is +4.75 V, +12 V min is +11.4 (I use 11.6 as a Min). May have to look fast if you get a bluescreen. Can also use prime 95. That will also load the +12V and at the same time check memory and cpu stability.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Hey Cheif,
That got me thinking, right now I have just some basic applications open (email client, web browser...etc). Im guessing that would probably be considered idle. I open up CPUID HW Monitor and Im looking at my 5V and 12V readings...

For 5V im getting 4.94V
For 12V im getting 11.82V

^Is that good?...should I run a load test?

I would, hopefully your +12 (currently at 11.82) will only drop another 1/10th. If it dropps below 11.6 I'd be inclined to replace it even thought the spec is 11.4.

Your +5 should be fine, but worth watching if it drops much more. The lower limit (4.75) was based on the specs for TTL logic. Alot of the circuits has switch over to CMOS.

@ delluser1 , thanks, I never seem to keep track of what dell sticks in their systems and it can change, even for the same make/model as it flucuates with contract.

Isn't a shot like that beneath you ?
Dell is an oem system builder, you could find any number of different psu's in the same box ( Delta, LiteOn, Bestec, HiPro, blah,blah,blah ) it really has nothing to do with the thread other than my forum name.

Chieftec uses Delta, CWT and Sirtech/Sirfa for thier oems and changes model designations to differentiate between grades of each oem

CFT-600-CS ( no 80+ rating )
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/chieftec-psus_3.html#sect0

CFT-650-C ( 80+ rated )
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/chieftec-psu-roundup_6.html#sect0